1001 Try again later on hotmail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Bill_Texas

1001 Try again later on hotmail

Post by Bill_Texas »

It's been this way for the past 24 hours, and 36 of the past 48. (Suddenly began working after being down 12 hours, worked for 12 hours, then stopped for 24 hours, and still that way.)

Some are hotmail.com, some outlook.com, some live.com.

Versions look good, reset modem, restarted, rebooted. On XP, FWIW

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0

--- Error ---
xxx1 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]
- Error: Try again later. (-1001)

xxx2 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 8]

xxx3 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx4@hotmail.com [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx5 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx6 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx7 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx8 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx9 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]

xxx10 [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 3]
This is a great product. A great product. =D>
mjs

Re: 1001 Try again later on hotmail

Post by mjs »

I switched one of my accounts from "IMAP" to "Webmail" (Hotmail/Outlook) as you are using to test (as I generally do not use "Webmail") and did not get any errors after trying a few Mail Checks. Oddly, I was actually getting a few random errors on some of my MSN accounts using "IMAP" a short time ago.

Have you tried logging-in to your accounts on the web (Internet) to see if any acknowledgments by user are required of you when you log-in?

You may be experiencing sporadic problems with the MSN Servers in your specific area.

If the errors persist then you could try changing one of your MSN (Hotmail, Outlook, Live) accounts to IMAP (Server type = "IMAP") and be sure and use OAuth2 (press button and follow steps) to see if this improves the situation for that account (and if so follow suit with the remainder of your accounts). Otherwise if you are able to log-in on the web and you prefer to continue using the "Webmail" protocol for your POP Peeper accounts then you may have to wait until MSN resolves the issues they are likely having with their MSN Servers in your specific area.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Bill_Texas

Post by Bill_Texas »

Thank you for your kind attention and smart instructions. I finally got Imap to work though Hotmail/OUtlook still is not functioning. You and Jeff have both suggested setting up Imap and trying side by side; but until today I was never able to get it to succeed.

First, to get it out of the way: yes, browser works, and there are currently no stupid Microsoft extra prompts that they love to torment us with. Grrr, I meant to disclose that in the first post, so I'm hitting my head now. (Trivia: I use Opera for hotmail. For various reasons, I do not wish to upgrade the Firefox 5 and IE8 browsers on this XP box, and ever since Microsoft in its classic stupidity forced everyone to live.com, neither my IE nor FX work for hotmail, but Opera does. PopPeeper has always been fine; if Poppeeper is internally using a browser for anything, I assume it's Firefox 5, my default browser.)

Imap/Oauth2: I have never been able to do OAuth2, at least on this XP box. I always get an IE looking mini-browser window that says
"This program cannot display the webpage" after entering the password twice and clicking that it's okay.

This machine's primary browser is Firefox, but this really looks like an IE style window with no URL bar. I can get a conventional version of that "failure" browser window to open in IE8 by going Control-N (that's a tip for anyone who wants to know the URL on one of those mini browser windows). So I can see the URL
https://account.live.com/Consent/Update ... horize.srf ........................
(a very long URL). At any rate it says a similar, slightly different error phrase
The webpage cannot be displayed

HOWEVER! For the first time ever, Imap worked today. Even after the OAuth2 failure (I presume failure), set as Imap, I checked mail on the dupe accounts and each ran like lightning! Or maybe OAuth2 indeed is working too; I don't know how to tell.

I gather that server misadventures are frustrating on everyone's part, including yours, both due to the suffering of access failures and the difficulty to diagnose it, because of (I suppose) the apparently erratic nature of both Microsoft's Webmail servers as well as Imap servers. I don't know if that's the issue with Hotmail/Outlook access for me in PopPeeper now, or if Microsoft just did another famous forced upgrade that breaks some users. At any rate, thank you for patiently working me and others through that.
Bill_Texas

Post by Bill_Texas »

It seems apparent that the Hotmail/Outlook access avenue has been summarily discontinued for me by Microsoft, so it may happen to others now or soon. I conclude this after all 10 of my hotmail/outlook/live accounts completely stopped working simultaneously under that access method, and each have continued to not respond whatsoever (mail check, can't read any old messages, even though there's no red X), for every account that says Hotmail/Outlook, and for 7 consecutive days which suggests it's time to move off that interface. However my 10 newly created Imap access accounts work flawlessly for all 10.

Thus, if any others are still able to use the Hotmail/Outlook interface, be prepared to switch to IMAP (or maybe POP3), in case Microsoft is rolling it out by accounts, locations, or what have you, and if it's just a matter of time. Or, as the forum suggests, copy your Hotmail/Outlook accounts (right click on one of your accounts in the left pane and click Duplicate account) and run both methods simultaneously, and then you can delete the Hotmail/Outlook style account when you wish. I was initially queasy about that, paranoidly imagining message deletion, but PopPeeper of course is not that stupid, and it's simple and fast.

(By the way, I just installed Poppeeper on another machine, and it says {4.4.2 or 4.4.2.0} instead of {4.4 or 4.4.0.0} which the first machine has [and is the "Latest"], and Hotmail/Outlook is not a choice on the 4.4.2, and Duplicate Accounts doesn't seem to be there either.) (And ouch Advanced and Advanced 2 are missing on the 4.4.2)

(edit: see later correction by someone more knowledgeable. This does appear to be a machine specific problem.)
Last edited by Bill_Texas on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Bill_Texas wrote:.... and Hotmail/Outlook is not a choice on the 4.4.2, and Duplicate Accounts doesn't seem to be there either.) (And ouch Advanced and Advanced 2 are missing on the 4.4.2)
The "Hotmail/Outlook" option should be available as a "Server type" setting as illustrated:
Webmail Server type for Hotmail.png
Webmail Server type for Hotmail.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
You can access the other setting options you mentioned that you do not see displayed by going to "Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab and enabling "Advanced options" (by checking this option in upper-right-corner of interface).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Bill_Texas

Post by Bill_Texas »

Thanks very kindly, lakrsrool. Everything appears just like you said.

[a]So should someone want to add an account with Hotmail/Outlook, start with Imap, then edit the created account to switch it over, I gather. (Or generally better, dupe an account and edit)[/a] (edit: see later correction by someone more knowledgeable)
Last edited by Bill_Texas on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Bill_Texas wrote:Thanks very kindly, lakrsrool. Everything appears just like you said.

So should someone want to add an account with Hotmail/Outlook, start with Imap, then edit the created account to switch it over, I gather. (Or generally better, dupe an account and edit)
You're very welcome.
It is not necessary to duplicate accounts unless you simply want to do some testing for an existing account. Otherwise it is generally recommended to start out by adding accounts with the "IMAP" protocol from the start (as long as IMAP can be used) and just stay with that protocol. The only reason you might want to consider changing the protocol is when an account may have persistent issues with a specific protocol at which time you can switch it over to another to see if you get better results if you so desire.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have a semi-automated test that I run each day (when I'm not out of town) that checks 3 different hotmail accounts using the webmail protocol, and they haven't reported any problems yet. I was out of town when you first reported this, but I'm back now and I would be interested in seeing just what the problem is -- could you email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll provide further instructions to diagnose the problem.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ FWIW - Seven days ago on 9-1-17 4:09 pm, I switched one of my Hotmail accounts from "IMAP" to "Webmail" (Hotmail/Outlook) in order to test for Hotmail "Webmail" errors and I can report that as of this time, 9-7-17 (over one week later), I have still not had any errors of any kind. Image
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There appears to be something blocking the access on Bill's computer that we're still investigating. It does not appear to be a new interface or anything like that so it does not have any widespread/global impact.
Bill_Texas

Post by Bill_Texas »

(SEE EDIT BELOW)
FYI, bizarrely, this morning suddenly each one of the Hotmail/Outlook interface accounts began working for me, following 12 (edit: it was 14) continuous days of nonresponsiveness. (I have run both Imap and hotmail.outlook simultaneously in the event that this might happen, even after an extraordinarily long "outage".)

Imap is of course much faster and I'll stick with it; just passing on this info.

EDIT: and, just 30 minutes after complete success, all 10 accounts STOPPED working, now with half going "Try again later. (-10)" Oh well, as Jeff indicated to me in an email, this is just going to have to be called "closed." I'm okay just using Imap. I still have great praise and appreciation for all the very hard work and attention on this.
mjs

Post by mjs »

It sounds like you are running duplicate accounts for all of the 14 MSN (Microsoft) accounts you have in POP Peeper in order to run two different protocols at the same time which consists of one account using IMAP and the same account also using the Webmail (Outlook/Hotmail Server type) protocol.

By having so many duplicate Mail Checks I'm wondering if this could cause problems after awhile (caused by MSN as a result of too many frequent log-ins for the same account). If you are doing this (running duplicate accounts), one thing to make sure is that you have "IDLE/Push" enabled (checked) for all of your accounts using IMAP (and of course use OAuth2). By doing this you will have less log-ins that will occur because "IDLE/Push" remains logged-in over set periods of time and as a result does not then require a log-in every time a Mail Check is done (and is recommended regardless of duplicate accounts actually).

This way by using "IDLE/Push" for your IMAP accounts you are only having each account log-in for every Mail Check for just the duplicate Webmail accounts and not the IMAP accounts.

Also IMAP is the most reliable protocol and therefore recommended, so after testing further at some point you might want to consider going with the one protocol (IMAP/Oauth2 using IDLE/Push) and remove the duplicate accounts using Webmail (but that's your choice of course).

Just curious, under "Tools" > "Options..." > "Mail Check" tab - what is your "Minutes - Polling interval" set at (it is recommended to not have that value set to less than 10), you want to avoid doing too many Mail Checks within a relatively short time-frame. Also in that same interface, what do you have the "Maximum subcutaneous threads" set at? (considering your duplicate accounts, if you have at least 28 accounts doing Mail Checks for each Check Mail interval you might consider setting that value to somewhere between 5-10).

I would add that Jeff may have more to add regarding my opinions on this, however there is not any doubt that it will most definitely be better to enable the "IDLE/Push" function for all of your IMAP accounts if you have not already done so.

Oh and as always, thanks for the kind words --- much appreciated. Image
Bill_Texas

Post by Bill_Texas »

Thanks for all the cool analysis.

It seems Microsoft is just being schizo with its servers. Now, a couple of hours later, every one of them is functioning again. I don't think the 14 times 2 accounts are stressing anything, since some only check twice a day, and most are set at at least 20 minutes.

Idle/push is on for all Imap. I didn't set that deliberately so the "add account" (or maybe dupe) is seeming to set that on.

I do have one account set at less than 10 minutes per check. Occasionally I'll temporarily go down even to 1 minute on days that I'm expecting something important that should be more rapidly responded to (e.g. the notification of your post above :) ).

I only run max 3 simultaneous, to ease CPU utilization. It was bogging down somewhat when I had it set higher, before I switched to the faster Imap.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Since this was discussed via email and not mentioned in the forum: The problem Bill was having seemed to be a technical one. That is, there seemed to be an issue with the secure https protocol on his machine when communicating with hotmail.com (Bill also did a separate test with IE which supported that theory). My theory is that microsoft enabled more stringent security measures that are no longer supported by WinXP. Perhaps they've gotten flak over that and are testing something new...?

Bill_Texas wrote:I only run max 3 simultaneous, to ease CPU utilization. It was bogging down somewhat when I had it set higher, before I switched to the faster Imap.
That's one advantage imap has over webmail that I rarely mention -- webmail definitely takes more cpu cycles (and internet bandwidth) than imap.