Can no longer login to Yahoo mail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Can no longer login to Yahoo mail

Post by mjs »

hillbilly wrote:Well, I may have spoken too soon as well. Now my Yahoo account shows 50 unread and new messages but in actuality there are no unread messages and the Inbox pane shows all messages are read. Here's the error...

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.1.0
Webmail: 4.4.6.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0

--- Error ---
zYahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 3]
- Error ([UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages)
How many messages do you actually have in this account?
The reason I ask is because this specific error may occur because of too many messages in the inbox. It is possible that if enough mail checks are done that POP Peeper will eventually be able to read all of them as of your switching over to IMAP.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

hillbilly - As a follow-up - if this same "([UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages)" error persists you could try clearing the message list by following the steps below, Note: if you do not have "Advanced options" enabled, you'll need to go to "Tools" > "Options", then on the "General" page, enable "Advanced options" on the top-right of the page and press "OK" to save.
To Clear messages:
1) Right-click on the account and select "remove messages from list".
2) Right-click on the account again and select "Check mail".
This might resolve these errors on the basis that PP may be attempting to retrieve messages based on "Webmail" message ID's that would be different from what occurs using IMAP.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

dallas77us wrote:Same here on two different systems using server type yahoo; thinks I'm using the wrong password.

Server type IMAP OK.

Login using Firefox OK.

"Allow apps that use less secure sign in" has been enabled in my yahoo account since, like, forever.

IMAP via OAuth2 also thinks I'm using the wrong password.

I'm thinking Jeff needs to whip up a new WebMail.dll.

No hurry, Jeff. After all, it is only Yahoo Mail. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
lPlease post the actual Error Overview info. Refer to the following link on how to post this information to this topic: PP Error Messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.

IMPORTANT: Please note toward the bottom of the instructions provided in the above link that you be sure to please edit/obscure any personally-identifiable information that might otherwise be displayed, before submitting the information.

The reason I ask is because the IMAP protocol (which you are reportedly using) is not impacted by the "Webmail" plugin and with that in mind the Error Overview Information may be of some help to know why your IMAP setup is failing to work properly. You may be correct from the perspective that a new POP Peeper program build may be necessary to address the current Yahoo problem, but for now providing the additional Error information can possibly help us with analyzing what this specific Yahoo issue might be.

mjs

Post by mjs »

asquirrel wrote:Guess I spoke too soon. It's not working anymore.
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.2.0
IMAP: 4.4.2.0
SendMail: 4.4.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 22:58:59 - 22:58:59 (0 s) (-0400)
Data: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 20:02:03 -0700

--- Error ---
account 1 Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

account 2- Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

account 3 - Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Bad Connection
Thanks for the Error Overview info. I don't see any issues in regards to the Error Overview info.

So based as of the time you posted that PP was working using IMAP up until this current post it appears perhaps PP was working with the IMAP protocol for around 4 hours. This error is hopefully a temporary error that is perhaps localized to your area as I personally have 8 Yahoo accounts in PP that are using IMAP that have continued to all be error free all day today up to this point.

Please report back any changes as to whether this error persists as opposed to hopefully PP working once again.
tatoo_ar

Post by tatoo_ar »

Same problem here. I''ve verified ‘Allow apps that use less secure sign-in’ and it was already enabled with no success. Working now with IMAP & OAuth2 as stated before.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to let everyone know -- I'm currently out of town and unable to work on the Yahoo issue for the next few days. However, if it's what I saw on one of my own accounts the last time Yahoo required an update (a few weeks ago), I was unable to find a fix because of some very strict rules Yahoo had implemented. In fact, if you read the current Message of the Day in POP Peeper (dated Aug 3), you'll see what I'm referring to.

So, the ultimate solution is to switch to IMAP. If you use the "OAuth2" button and follow the instructions, then you won't have to change the "allow less secure sign-in" -- it can be disabled (meaning, "more secure sign-in is required") because that's what OAuth2 is. The "allow less secure sign-in" will not affect webmail (server type = "yahoo") either way as it's unrelated.
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Just to clarify what is happening. If I use imap it's stuck on "connecting." Error message is "bad connection." Tried the Oauth2 thing and it says I'm all set after doing the manual setup through the dialogue prompts, but I still can't get the mail from any Yahoo account. If I use "Yahoo" as my email settings I get "Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password." Only Yahoo mail is the problem. I have Gmail accounts which work fine.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

hi,

IMAP fixes this problem but the "sent" mails don't register anywhere when replying from within Poppeeper.

ex:

When I reply to an email in one of my Yahoo accounts from within Poppeeper, normally that sent email would appear in my sent emails when I login directly into Yahoo...which is practical if you need a follow-up on something.

This does not happen when using IMAP.

Anyone else notice this?
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

I can confirm what captqbec is reporting.

I sent two test emails from a non-Yahoo account (within PP) to a couple of my Yahoo accounts (both are IMAP). The 2 emails were retrieved by PP. I then replied to both emails (from within PP).

After logging-in to each of the Yahoo accounts ON-LINE, the "SENT" folder in both accounts did not have the replies I sent from within POP Peeper.
Also checked the other folders (i.e., Spam, Drafts, Archive, etc) and did not find the "sent" messages there.
The replies ARE, however, shown within POP Peeper's SMV as expected.

Thanks for your report, captqbec! :)
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

captqbec wrote:hi,

IMAP fixes this problem but the "sent" mails don't register anywhere when replying from within Poppeeper.

ex:

When I reply to an email in one of my Yahoo accounts from within Poppeeper, normally that sent email would appear in my sent emails when I login directly into Yahoo...which is practical if you need a follow-up on something.

This does not happen when using IMAP.

Anyone else notice this?
Yes, unfortunately using "IMAP" in POP Peeper doesn't currently support saving sent messages to the Client "Sent folder" (which applies to "Outlook/Hotmail" and "Gmail" accounts using "IMAP" as well), so while "IMAP" remains the preferred protocol to use it does have this specific drawback that "Webmail" (in this case "Server type" = "Yahoo") does not have. You were probably using "Webmail" previously in which case you were getting the messages displayed as expected in the Clients "Sent folder" but have changed to "IMAP" to fix the current Yahoo account problem and noticed the Yahoo Client accounts "Sent folder" on the Web no longer has any messages in the "Sent folder" when sending messages via POP Peeper.

This is discussed by Jeff in this topic: Re: Yahoo messages not in Sent folder and if you click HERE you can take a look at the method that Jeff has devised in order to get around this so that messages will get saved in the Client accounts "Sent folder" using "IMAP" (which would presumably apply to specifically both "sent" and "replied to" messages). :wink:
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Doesn't work for me with either the IMAP or Yahoo settings (see my above post). It's stuck on either connecting (imap) or invalid username or password (yahoo). How do I fix this?
mjs

Post by mjs »

asquirrel wrote:Doesn't work for me with either the IMAP or Yahoo settings (see my above post). It's stuck on either connecting (imap) or invalid username or password (yahoo). How do I fix this?
As I understand it, you are getting the the following error:
"account 1 Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]- Bad Connection"
when using "IMAP". So I am presuming that POP Peeper gets "stuck" for awhile using "IMAP" but eventually will stop attempting to "connect" and then produces this specific error, is this correct?

Have you enabled the "IDLE/Push" option? Generally "IMAP" works better with this enabled (lower right-corner of Account Edit interface).

What is your provider (i.e. AT&T, Comcast etc)?

It would appear that you are having other issues (possibly local to your area). Have you tried rebooting? This will clear cache which might help.

You may have security software or some other issues with your provider that is possibly interfering. Have you tried resetting your connections?

If your issue persists to look into this further you could try pinging the Yahoo IMAP Server.

Do the following steps to do this (see screen-shot example below):
1) Open a command/dos prompt (type 'command' into the start menu to find it)
2) Type in the command prompt: ping imap.mail.yahoo.com

Considering the issue you are having, you will probably get something like this (which would mean you are apparently having Yahoo IMAP Server issues for some reason, in which case take a look at the bottom of this post for a possible resolution using POP3):
Pinging internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net [208.71.45.81] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.11.202:
Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Control-C
Notice the "Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss)" line.

What I get is the following (which does not "time-out" with errors):

Code: Select all

C:\Users\user>ping imap.mail.yahoo.com

Pinging internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net [208.71.45.81] with 32 bytes of data
:
Reply from 208.71.45.81: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=47
Reply from 208.71.45.81: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 208.71.45.81:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 48ms
Screen-shot example:
screen-shot of ping.png
If you do ping the server, notice the server name you get? There may be issues with this IMAP Server.....

As long as you ensure that "IDLE/push" is enabled for the problematic account, there is not much more that can be done. Alternatively you could try using "POP3", since in the case of Yahoo that protocol can sometimes be more reliable based on the historical record of Yahoo IMAP Server issues often occurring from time-to-time in some areas. Keep in mind of course that POP Peeper will have to re-download all messages each time you change the protocol so the first "Mail Check" after the change is made will necessarily always take longer (as I'm sure you have noticed :wink:).
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Hi lakrsrool!

You were right on about the security software. I'm running Peerblock and that was the cause of the problem. As soon as I disabled it I was able to reach the Yahoo servers. Is there a way I can still use Peerblock without having to disable it and still be able to reach the Yahoo servers? Thanks!
mjs

Post by mjs »

asquirrel wrote:Hi lakrsrool!

You were right on about the security software. I'm running Peerblock and that was the cause of the problem. As soon as I disabled it I was able to reach the Yahoo servers. Is there a way I can still use Peerblock without having to disable it and still be able to reach the Yahoo servers? Thanks!
Peerblock is most likely interfering by blocking access to port 993 when using IMAP in this case. The default port setting to avoid block-lists in Peerblock is port 143 (the default IMAP non-encrypted port) and 80, but then if you use port 143 for IMAP you would not be able to use IMAP securely (use SSL) which is not desirable. This is because in Peerblock there's also a checkbox labeled "Always Allow HTTP" that is enabled by default when Peerbock installs. This option always enables connections over ports 80 and 443 of your PC, even if they're on your block-list.

A better way would be to determine what block-list is causing the issue or perhaps determine how to change a setting in some manner in Peerblock, however I am not familiar with Peerblock as I've never used it. You might take a look at this forum on Allow Lists that might help.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Follow up regarding the "Allow lists" Peerblock forum on Peerblock - Email issues and more specifically on Using Peerblock with Yahoo Mail, that may be of help -- Good luck :wink: --- these "IP blocking utilities" like Peerblock can be troublesome just getting them to work with external software in some situations. [-o< That's because, put simply as far as what applies to this specific case, one of the main purposes of Peerblock is to block servers and sites known to be troublesome or even dangerous that are in many cases not necessarily an issue. Peerblock is intended to let the user choose what to block as well having the ability to also import or create user specific block-lists, so in that regard it's up to the user to determine what they want blocked and what to not block by either doing a right/left click via the Peerblock tray icon.
joewal72

Post by joewal72 »

Hi friendly supporter,

I am having the same problems as already mentioned by the colleagues above. The problems occurred last week.
Only Yahoo accounts, but all of them, are affected returning
“Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.” when using server type “Yahoo”.

I tried the switch to the recommended IMAP with OAuth2, and followed the instructions, which seemed to go okay, but then I got again an error: “Bad Connection”
Changing another account testwise to POP3 turned out to produce the same error message “Bad Connection”

I’m only using the system for checking about new mails, but do not download them via pop peeper.

Here is my error log: the YYYYY is the account and changed testwise to IMAP with OAuth2, while the ZZZZZ it is the one I changed to the recommended POP3

--- Version ---
SSL:
SendMail: 4.4.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 10:36:26 - 10:36:27 (1 s) (+0200)
Data: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 01:36:26 -0700

--- Error ---
XXXXX [3: Yahoo] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.

XXXXX [3: Yahoo] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.

YYYYY [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

--- Error ---
ZZZZZ [0: POP3] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

-------------------------
The result of the ping command was as follows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\> ping imap.mail.yahoo.com

Ping wird ausgeführt für internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net [77.238.185.51] mit
32 Bytes Daten:
Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.

Ping-Statistik für 77.238.185.51:
Pakete: Gesendet = 2, Empfangen = 0, Verloren = 2
(100% Verlust),
STRG-C
^C
C:\> ping pop.mail.yahoo.com

Ping wird ausgeführt für global-jpop.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net [217.146.190.238] mit
32 Bytes Daten:

Ping-Statistik für 217.146.190.238:
Pakete: Gesendet = 2, Empfangen = 0, Verloren = 2
(100% Verlust),
STRG-C
^C
----------------------------
“Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung” meaning “timeout”

It would be great, if you could help.

Thanks and Regards
Jo

Ping results translated:
Ping is running for internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net [77.238.185.51] with32 bytes Data: Timeout of the request.Timeout of the request.Ping Statistics for 77.238.185.51:Packages: Sent = 2, Received = 0, ping pop.mail.yahoo.comPing wird ausgeführt für global-jpop.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net [217.146.190.238] mit32 Bytes Daten:Zeitüberschreitung der" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#ebeff9'" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#fff'">Lost = 2 (100% loss), CTRL-C ^ CC: \> ping pop.mail.yahoo.comPing is running on global-jpop.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net [217.146.190.238] with32 bytes Data: Timeout of the Request.Timeout of requirement.Ping statistic for 217.146.190.238:Packages: Sent = 2, Received = 0, Lost = 2 (100% loss), CTRL-C
Last edited by mjs on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to tranlate Ping results with critical elements highlighed in red
mjs

Post by mjs »

joewal72 - according to your Error Overview information it appears that you do not have the SSL plugin installed.
--- Version ---
SSL:

Please go HERE to install the SSL plugin (installation instructions are available there by clicking on the link). Then see if this helps with your IMAP accounts (make sure you use OAuth2 and have "IDLE/Push" enabled for these accounts). There still may be issues in certain areas in regards to various protocols for Yahoo accounts (Note: in my case, I have 7 Yahoo IMAP accounts and 1 Yahoo Webmail account and do not have any issues with any Yahoo accounts --- which could be due to specific locals)
Shunsuke414

Post by Shunsuke414 »

Found a Fix or at least its working for me. For yahoo at least,

I downloaded and copied over the webmail and ssl plugins, opened pop peeper went to my account settings switched from imap to pop3 port 995 ( was 993 ) saved and rechecked emails and fixed.

Had to do the OAuth2 thing within a pop up window to login to yahoo and agree to the changes.

POP settings for Yahoo Mail

Incoming Mail (POP) Server

Server - pop.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 995
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465 or 587
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires TLS - Yes (if available)
Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

Email address - Your full email address (name@domain.com.)
Password - Your account's password.
Requires authentication - Yes
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, Shunsuke414, and thank you for your post. :)

As you are a new member of the Forums, The Esumsoft Team requests you review the following:

Information for new users and forum members.

important information is provided regarding the Forums and POP Peeper program which new members need to be aware of, including cautionary notes about personally-identifiable information.

Links are included to additional resources which explain how to perform a variety of tasks, such as, how to set-up various email accounts in POP Peeper (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail/Outlook, etc) for POP3 & IMAP access, as well as, SMTP settings.

In addition, instructions are also provided regarding the steps to take if you encounter any problems using the POP Peeper program.

If you should have any questions, please let us know!

* Other members of the The Esumsoft Team will review your post, and may have additional feedback for you.

Best regards.
Global Moderator
joewal72

Post by joewal72 »

Hi laksrool,

many thanks for your reply

I did have a look at the installation directory and both DLL files you mentioned were already available with a date of 25.07.2016. And also the SSL plug-in was already checkmarked (version 1.0.2.8).

I did download the 2 DLL files again and copied them in respective folder. Now I see, that the version has changed to 1.0.2.11, but unfortunately the behaviour is still the same.

Perhaps it helps, that I used the “discover server” feature of your program with the following result.
mail.yahoo.de Bad Connection
pop.yahoo.de Bad Connection
pop.mail.yahoo.de Bad Connection
pop3.yahoo.de Bad Connection

Interestingly now the error message concerning the accounts where I still have configured server type “Yahoo” now return a different error message than yesterday
yesterday: Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.
Today: Error: Try again later. (-11)

Error Log of today:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.3.0
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
XXXXX [3: Yahoo] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-11)

XXXXX [3: Yahoo] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-11)

YYYYY [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Bad Connection

ZZZZZ [0: POP3] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Bad Connection

Best Regards
Jo