reinstalling problem

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: reinstalling problem

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:What happens when I go to view and press message source the Pop Peeper page stays blank, but the source information opens in Word.
Actually if you look closely the "source information" is opening in Notepad, see example:
What you get when going to "View" > "Message source"
What you get when going to "View" > "Message source"
Notice where the arrow is pointing which says "Notepad".

So then when you select "View" > "Message source" the text area of the "Message source" window (Notepad) is NOT blank but does have information in it as described in the screen-shot below as opposed to the area where you read messages which remains blank?
You have a blank area where you read PP mail but the "View Source" (Notepad) window does display information?
You have a blank area where you read PP mail but the "View Source" (Notepad) window does display information?
This would mean that POP Peeper is able to actually read the message apparently. Much of that information in the "Message Source" window is sensitive information so it would probably be best at this point to followup via PM's with Jeff due to the personal nature of the "Message Source" information that he will need to examine most of which would be better not to post in the open forum.

So in order to protect your privacy I would suggest that you PM Jeff at this point and reference this topic and explain to him that while you are getting "blank" messages when you attempt to read them in POP Peeper you are getting elements of the message when you display the "Message Source" window of which he will probably want to know more about this private "Message Source" information.

Also Jeff was also asking about this question below on the previous page regarding the screen-shot that was removed for privacy reasons (which again illustrates the reason it would be best to followup with Jeff regarding this issue):
Jeff wrote:carp48 -- I wasn't able to see your screenshot before it was removed; would you be able to re-post an edited version, or PM a copy of the original screenshot to me?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
carp48

Post by carp48 »

Morning, I sent Jeff a PM yesterday with that image in it.
Today I tried the view message source again with a different
result. When I have a message open and push message source, nothing is opening anywhere.
I opened my word program and brought up the text from yesterday, it is 22 pages long.
Should I copy them somehow and send to Jeff? Getting discouraged, love this program
and want to use it again, Mike.
mjs

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:Morning, I sent Jeff a PM yesterday with that image in it.
Today I tried the view message source again with a different
result. When I have a message open and push message source, nothing is opening anywhere.
I opened my word program and brought up the text from yesterday, it is 22 pages long.
Should I copy them somehow and send to Jeff? Getting discouraged, love this program
and want to use it again, Mike.
Keep that data from yesterday so that you will have it available for Jeff, I'm sure he will want to see it.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
carp48

Post by carp48 »

I will thank you very much, Mike
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Before you send me anything more via PM, there's something I'd like you to try first:
1) From PP's main menu, select Tools / Options
2) Select the "connection" page
3) Change the "Access type" to "Direct connection..."
4) Press OK

Now, view a message (a message that is affected by the issue but is, preferably, small and has no attachments included) and select menu: File / Re-download message.

If you still have the problem (and while still viewing the message), select menu: File / Save message as and save the message. Send that file to me via PM.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also: can you think of anything that you may have installed at about the same time that you noticed this problem?
nuska

Post by nuska »

I am now able to use 2 of my Yahoo accounts, but the other has an error -11. Can anyone help on this please?
mjs

Post by mjs »

nuska wrote:I am now able to use 2 of my Yahoo accounts, but the other has an error -11. Can anyone help on this please?
Please post the actual Error Overview info. Refer to the following link on how to post this information to this topic: PP Error Messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. Doing this provides us with additional details regarding the error in order to help us to better analyze your problem including among other things not the least of which is what protocol you are using for the account that is getting this error.

IMPORTANT: Please note toward the bottom of the instructions provided in the above link that you be sure to please edit/obscure any personally-identifiable information that might otherwise be displayed, before submitting the information.
nuska

Post by nuska »

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.2.0
Webmail: 4.4.6.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.2.0
SendMail: 4.4.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
XX [3: Yahoo] ['' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 8]
- Error: Try again later. (-11)
Last edited by mjs on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for security/privacy reasons. (Personally-identifiable information present)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the Error Overview info nuska,

You will need to change this account so that it uses the "IMAP" protocol instead of Webmail by editing the account and switching the "Server type" setting from "Yahoo" to "IMAP", all other settings will change to their appropriate settings. We have been experiencing various errors with Yahoo accounts that use Webmail recently so making this change should help you out.

What "Server type" are your other two Yahoo accounts set at that are working?

Please report back with your results after making this change to help others know what might help.

Note: I have edited your post for privacy reasons.
nuska

Post by nuska »

I changed it to IMAP but now it just 'times out' when logging in.
The other 2 accounts are Yahoo
mjs

Post by mjs »

nuska wrote:I changed it to IMAP but now it just 'times out' when logging in.
The other 2 accounts are Yahoo
Some people are getting errors using "IMAP" for Yahoo accounts (Reportedly "Bad Connection" errors), I do not however. I have found that my Yahoo account using Webmail ("Yahoo" Server type) is now working after over 48 hours of getting the "Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password." error so it would appear that Webmail is currently working for Yahoo in my case and in your case as well.

So considering that IMAP is in some cases getting random errors for Yahoo, you might as well change the IMAP account back to their "Yahoo" Server type as it appears that Yahoo has apparently finally got their proprietary protocol (Webmail) in order since my Yahoo Webmail account has been working all morning after a long string of persistent errors the past couple of days - knock-on-wood. :roll:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

A timeout error when using Yahoo/Imap may mean that your login/password is incorrect. Try using OAuth2 (you'll see the button to the right of "login name" when you edit the account in POP Peeper) -- it removes some of the ambiguity and is also required in most cases anyway.
carp48

Post by carp48 »

Jeff, Just so you know I just installed Pop Peeper on a brand new computer and it works perfectly.
To me that means there is something on my old computer that is messing up the new version. Does this help any or do you have any suggestions?
Thanks Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

carp48 wrote:Jeff, Just so you know I just installed Pop Peeper on a brand new computer and it works perfectly.
To me that means there is something on my old computer that is messing up the new version. Does this help any or do you have any suggestions?
Thanks Mike
Are you using IMAP with OAuth2 or Webmail (Yahoo Server type) for your accounts in POP Peeper on the new computer?

Are the POP Peeper accounts in the new computer using the same settings as the accounts do in POP Peeper for the old computer?

While waiting for Jeff to follow-up, my guess is that whatever difference in software that probably has to do with security between the new computer and old computer is causing the difference. Do you know what software there is on the old computer regarding this that would not be on the new computer?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool's questions are the same I have, too. We may also be able to get more answers with a log, so email me (support at esumsoft dot com) so we can get that.
carp48

Post by carp48 »

The new computer is just out of the box and has the bare minimum on it.
IMAP with OAuth2.
Settings the same.
I'm sorry log of what, Mike
P.S. All software on new computer is same as old. I will have to see if Window's 10 versions are the same if that would make a difference.
Thanks to both of you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

A log of what's happening between POP Peeper and the server -- I'll provide further instructions on how to get that via email.

The Windows version shouldn't make a difference. As lakrsrool mentioned, security-based software is the most common reason for these types of errors as they may block the connection and you (or I) have no clue that they're doing so.
carp48

Post by carp48 »

Jeff, another thing I have noticed is no matter what button I use
in the program, it is very slow to respond and usually says (not responding).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Let's continue the discussion via email. That problem sounds unusual, but could be related to the other problem.