Poppeeper keeps reverting back to Yahoo from IMAP

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
captqbec

Poppeeper keeps reverting back to Yahoo from IMAP

Post by captqbec »

hi,

Another prob here recently...

When restart or log-off from Windows(10 pro), Poppeeper reverts all Yahoo accounts back from IMAP to YAHOO servers...

...any ideas please?

THX so much for outstanding support.

btw, have free version but will buy as soon you roll out ANDROID support.
mjs

Re: Poppeeper keeps reverting back to Yahoo from IMAP

Post by mjs »

Your issue could be that Windows UAC is blocking any of your changed settings in POP Peeper so that when you either restart POP Peeper or log-off Windows the changes do not hold.

Please go to "Tools" > "Options" from main POP Peeper menu and select "Storage" and tell us what you have in your ini location setting.

If the path values in these two setting for "Storage" start out with "C:\Program Files", i.e.:
ini location: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data path: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\data

Then unless you have disabled UAC (not recommended for security reasons) using these paths for the two settings above results in Windows not allowing POP Peeper to save any settings or data in the event that POP Peeper is exited or Windows is closed.

In this case, what we recommend that you do is the following:
1) Be sure and EXIT POP Peeper
2) Move (not just copy C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini to %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
3) Restart POP Peeper
4) In "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage", clear/empty the "data path" value (this will reset this setting to the correct value).
5) Press OK to save.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

Hi,

...everything is where it should be.

Even disabling UAC won't fix the problem.

Tried uninstall and cleaning registry.

After reinstall, same behavior...keeps reverting back to Yahoo from IMAP...

This is a weird one #-o

Do you have a cleaning tool perhaps I can try?

Thx for outstanding support :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you are certain that UAC is disabled then another possibility is that the file itself is set to "Read-only", so to check this do the following:
1) Right-click on poppeeper.ini and select "Properties".
2) If the file has has "Read-only" checked then uncheck "Read-only".
3) Press OK.

If this is not the case, it is possible that some Security Software that you may have added or changed settings on may be blocking changes. Have you added or changed any settings since this started? You might take a look into this if the the above is not the case and the problem persists.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

hi bud,

...using Avast free...all modules off (including deep auto-protect stuff/junk) except "file shield"...have exceptions for this and that...including Poppeeper...

UAC is off....confirmed.

This is embedded deep inside somewhere...

Prob started with Creator's update...all was fine before...

Am I the only one?
mjs

Post by mjs »

For Avast do you have exclusions settings for PP something like this in the Avast "File System Shield":
Click on screen-shot to enlarge for improved readability
Did this problem by chance start after updating to Windows 10?
Have you tried clearing your cache?
What provider (ISP) do you use?
Have you tried resetting your ISP connection?

No one else is reporting this issue at this time that I'm aware of. This issue does arise from time-to-time and is typically due to what was described in my initial post (as a result of a PP install done differently, not over the prior version, that involves the "C:\Program Files" file path).

The PP "Storage" ini location path (and Data path) should be something like: "C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini".
mjs

Post by mjs »

As an after thought (although I doubt this is an issue actually), if you are using "Hardened Mode" in Avast do you happen to be using this Exclusion setting as illustrated below?
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

hi,

...naw...am ol'timer...been around since Commodore64 :)

...on 10+ home machines, this is the only pup behaving this way...

..only diff?

This one was installed straight to Win10 pro Creators...

...all others were "upgraded"

...and yeah...genuine digital licence....

...sorry for headaches bud,

...pls help.

Regards,

Montreal :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Interesting info, that is that all other WIN10 machines do not have this issue....

Did you remember to reboot after disabling UAC on the problematic machine?

Does the problem persist running Windows in "safe-mode" (test via exiting PP)?

Out of curiosity as an afterthought, have you tried running PP as Administrator (right-click on PP executable and select "Run as Administrator") just to see if this happens to help retain PP settings?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Another idea to try would be to lower the UAC all the way down in "safe-mode" just in case the UAC is not really getting turned off and test PP this way (exit/restart PP to see if settings are sustained). I've heard about issues with Windows10 having problems with UAC actually getting turned off even when the setting says it is.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

ouch! :shock:

...after running this rig in safe mode, IMAP settings stuck and is now fine...so strange behavior for a brand new Creators install.

Thx for help :D
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You may want to see if there's still an issue -- if PP cannot save an account's setting, most likely, it won't be able to save any settings at all. The easiest way to confirm this is to:
- Open WinExplorer to where your ini file is saved
- make a mental note of the "date modified"
- In PP, select main menu: Tools / Options, and press OK -- even if you don't change a setting, pressing "OK" will save the file
- Back in WinExplorer, refresh the list (F5) and see if the "date modified" is updated and current

If it works in safe mode, then it sounds to me like some app (probably security-related) is preventing write access for whatever reason. This will certainly have more side-effects than just the one you noticed and should be fixed (especially if it's not limited to just PP), but as far as PP is concerned, for example, PP may not be able to save messages to disk which means it will have to download them every time.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

hi,

...done a refresh after saving settings (without any changes) and it didn't budge...meaning it's still at earlier modified time which is this morning when I went into safe mode.

Setup is same as other machines except this one has a fresh install of Creators instead of an update.

Avast as all other machines.

Defender is disabled as others.

Will follow-up...

thx for superb support.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

ok...the "poppeeper.ini" modified date won't change BUT the "poppeeper.ini.bak" changes instantly.... #-o

Is this ok?
mjs

Post by mjs »

captqbec wrote:ok...the "poppeeper.ini" modified date won't change BUT the "poppeeper.ini.bak" changes instantly.... #-o

Is this ok?
Your modifications will still not hold after you either Exit PP and/or exit Windows. Did you exit PP to test for this, I would expect the issue to remain which is that your settings revert back after doing either.

This sounds like it would not be due to UAC or security software issues, but rather the .ini file is write-protected, that is set to "Read-only".

Did you try the previous suggestion HERE in this topic?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I agree with lakrsrool's analysis -- only that one file seems to be write-protected (although, it *is* possible that other individual files have the same issue). Why it would allow you to save in safe-mode is still strange, but I'm not an expert on what exactly safe-mode changes.

If the file is not write-protected, there may be some kind of ownership or other permission-based issue. This may be a total shot in the dark, but you can try this:
- while PP *IS* running, rename the poppeeper.ini file to something like poppeeper.xxx
- back in PP: main menu: Tools / Options
- press OK
-> does poppeeper.ini now appear in WinExplorer? If so, then maybe it's fixed.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

Settings are sticking solid after numerous reboots.

ini changes in safe mode only

ini.bak changes instantly in Windows mode

...most importantly, IMAP won't revert back to Yahoo after setting in safe mode...go figure.

...capricious behavior :?

...me think this is a Creators hiccup somewhere, somehow...

Will follow-up if I find out the culprit...thanx guys!...and yeah, Android would really be cool =D>

Mike
mjs

Post by mjs »

With the results that safe-mode produced in mind, try disabling Avast just to do the PP changes and see if they hold (do not revert back) after exit/restart of PP. I'm thinking that because the changes hold in safe-mode and safe-mode removes Avast from the equation that Avast maybe be creating a problem.

What version of Avast are you using?

There have reportedly been a number of issues involving the recent Avast free 17 builds and the new CREATORS Win 10 update.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

Avast 17.6.2310

Settings stick "with or without " Avast disabled/enabled...and this is in Windows, not safe mode...log-off or reboot or restart Pop.

Am glad it works but makes me wonder what made it tick.

If I find out, will post asap so others can avoid this enigma :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Glad to hear the settings hold now, possibly just the disabling/enabling of Avast helped clear some kind of a random glitch (conflict) perhaps. :wink:

Any new developments, let us know.