Problem with Flag to Mark Emails Which Have Been Read

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

Problem with Flag to Mark Emails Which Have Been Read

Post by Rakdan »

One of my accounts is now flagging all emails as unread. If I changed them to read, they just revert back to showing as unread the next time that I check for mail. It is a Yahoo! account. I have over 1,000 messages. I usually download the messages to my PC before I have this many, and I am wondering if POP Peeper has a problem dealing with too many messages. It is also taking forever to check as it seems to be downloading each message one by one. I tried changing to download headers only, and it is just as slow.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Problem with Flag to Mark Emails Which Have Been Read

Post by Jeff »

- What version of POP Peeper do you have (main menu: Help / About)
- What protocol are you using to access the Yahoo account (edit the account and refer to the server type; e.g. Yahoo, Imap, POP3)
- When you check for mail the next time, does it appear that PP is having to re-download all the messages again?

If you are not using IMAP, I would recommend trying that protocol. However, be sure to actively watch what happens when you check for mail after the first time. That is, PP shouldn't have to download the messages each time and using IMAP could obscure that; ie. it may still be happening but it may not be noticeable because IMAP will sync the read/unread state, but we still don't want that happening.

btw, 1000 messages is not a problem. (Except when PP has to download all every time :) ) But I have over 10K messages in my PP, with several accounts in the multi-1000's; and even that is pretty lightweight compared to some people.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I am using 4.4.1.0 and POP3. I used to use IMAP, but I do not like it as much as POP3. I don't remember the reason any more.
Currently, I am able to check my mail properly. Hopefully, the problem was just a fluke that was happening for a while. When it was happening, it was definitely downloading each email again. There is still a chance that the problem may be persistent. It may occur again when I get another email on that account. Time will tell.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This issue almost sounds familiar, now that I think about it -- specific to Yahoo and POP3. If I recall correctly, what's happening is that Yahoo is changing the messages' UID (unique identification). This would have the effect you've seen, that PP would have to re-download all the messages again. In fact, it could actually be much worse than that if Yahoo re-uses a UID for a different message; this could result in deleting the wrong message. This goes against every official documentation that has ever been written for the POP3 protocol. I could go on...

I would strongly recommend imap over pop3.
Advantages imap has over pop3:
- More features (including sync read/unread; make sure that Tools / PPtweaker / 'Misc' page: "Imap: sync read/unread state..." is enabled as it may not be for pre-v4.0 users)
- Instant notification when IDLE is enabled. Except not for Yahoo because they're about the only imap service I know of that doesn't support it.
- More secure: more password encryption techniques are available, although that's rather moot. But at least Yahoo supports Oauth2, so you can use that and actually delete your password in PP.
- Generally much faster. I was going to test this specifically for Yahoo, but my accounts require oauth2 login which pop3 doesn't support and then I was like, meh. But, yeah, PP can generally download headers *significantly* faster with imap than pop3 because of optimizations available in imap.
- folders
- There's more, but those are the first ones off the top of my head.

Advantages pop3 has over imap:
[end of message]