Outlook.com: Authentication problems with 1 account

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Gigios

Outlook.com: Authentication problems with 1 account

Post by Gigios »

Hi, I'm using POP Peeper Pro to manage more than one email account, I have four outlook.com accounts but with only one I have an authentication problem.
The problem has begun to appear two days ago, I have reset and re-apply the OAuth2 and after this set the account works for some minutes, after the problem came back.

Do you think that this is a 'server' problem? With the browser I'm able to login and navigate in the emails without problems.

Thanks for the support
Luigi

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.2.0
Webmail: 4.4.7.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.2.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.2.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0

--- Error ---
Outlook.com - Account XXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Error (User is authenticated but not connected.)
Last edited by spc3rd on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic moved from EMAIL to PP sub-forum as issue is of a PP Tech Support nature. TITLE edited to better reflect issue presented/better exposure. Error message text edited to remove possible personally-identifiable info.
Gigios

Re: Outlook.com: Authentication problems with 1 account

Post by Gigios »

Sorry for the double post.
I have tried to change the configuration from IMAP to "Hotmail/Outlook" and, for the moment, seem works fine.

This is classic, after post the question, I find the answer :oops:

Thanks
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Luigi,

Thank you for posting back to update us on the issue(s) you are experiencing. (It helps us know more about what is happening on your end).

As the issue you posted about is of a POP Peeper Tech Support nature, I have moved it to the more appropriate sub-forum. (Please see my "editing note" at the bottom of your first post which lists two other modifications I made as well).

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will be reviewing your topic later, and may have additional questions/feedback for you.
In the interim, if you should have additional questions, feel free to let us know!

Best regards.
Global Moderator
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

I get the same.........but seems to have started this morning...

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.1.9001
Webmail: 4.4.1.0
IMAP: 4.4.1.9001
SendMail: 4.4.1.9001
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Hotmail1 [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 1]
mjs

Post by mjs »

I've been getting these errors all day today for 5 of my 10 MSN accounts using IMAP.

The errors cleared after 9 consecutive errors earlier today (with the exception of one account (XX-3 0) which has remained persistent as of 24 consecutive errors so far).

After the other MSN 4 accounts (referenced below) that cleared then the error continued once again so far 13 consecutive times as of now.

Have not had the time to look into any further.... (the only thing I can contribute at this time is that re-authorizing doesn't help)

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.0.3001
Webmail: 4.5.0.0
IMAP: 4.5.0.3001
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.3001
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.3001
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.3001
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.3001

--- Error ---
XX-1 O [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 13]

XX-2 H [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 13]

XX-3 O [1000: IMAP] ['outlook.office365.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 24]

XX-4 O [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 13]

XX-5 O [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 13]
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

hm, I only have one hotmail/imap/oauth2 account and it hasn't had any problems.

I did a search for that error and found this:
https://www.limilabs.com/qa/196/office- ... -connected
specifically:
1. It is a Microsoft's mechanism to shut down chatty clients. The solution would be to login to this account less frequently. (Remember to close the connection properly use Close method and 'using' clause around Imap instance).

2. It is due to a bug in the IMAP implementation. If the client presents a valid user name but an invalid password, the server accepts the login, but subsequent commands fail with the aforementioned error message.

3. It is a shared mailbox and you are using incorrect login scheme. Use Username@DomainName\SharedMailboxAlias for O365 per: https://www.limilabs.com/blog/access-sh ... nge-server
Edit: I should mention that these are not "official" reasons. Those seemed to be 3 "cited reasons" why the error may occur, but I suspect it's mostly conjecture.

Since the problem sounds intermittent, it seems to eliminate #2 and #3. So, in that case, is IDLE enabled for your accounts? Using IDLE will log into the account less often.
vonitsa

Re: Outlook.com: Authentication problems with 2 accounts

Post by vonitsa »

Hello all.
Two out of three hotmail accounts return an error (user authenticated but not connected).
Pop Peeper 4.4.0.0
Webmail 4.4.7.0
SSL 1.0.2.8
IMAP 4.4.0.0
SendMail 4.4.0.0
Profile Picture 4.3.0.0

Can someone please help?
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Post merged with this current ongoing topic discussion regarding the same issue being experienced by other members.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi vonitsa,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having. As you can see, other PP users have also been experiencing the same issue, so I have merged your post with this existing, ongoing discussion.
[Fortunately, I am not experiencing any issues with my own accounts].

In the interim, until other members of The Esumsoft Team can further review your post, please post back with the information requested in Items # 1 & 2 below:

1. The entire text of the error message(s) you are receiving in POP Peeper. This will enable us to better assist you. :)

(If needed, instructions for providing the information in Item # 1 above can be found in the following Sticky topic):

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post

** Please be sure to review the CAUTIONARY note regarding personally-identifiable information located near the bottom of the Sticky topic.

2. When did you first begin having the authentication problem?
------------------------------------------------------------------
[SIDENOTE]: Although, this has no effect regarding the problem you are having - I noticed your SSL plugin is version 1.0.2.8. The latest version is 1.0.2.11. You can update it at your convenience HERE. (Just scroll down the page to see the plugin).

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
vonitsa

Post by vonitsa »

spc3d,
Thank you for your fast response.
Here is the entire error message I get in two out of three hotmail accounts:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.7.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Account 1 [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 3]

Account 2 [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 3]

The problem started three days ago. During this time, just once Pop Peeper was able to work just fine and then it went to error status again.
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

This started happening to me today with one my accounts... the one that gets the most use, needless to say!

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.0.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.2.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.2.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.2.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.2.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Account X [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 29]

From Server Info in PP:

Last DB Maint (global): 09/21/17 10:55:22 (5 days)

Last success: 09/27/17 01:29:20 (493 minutes ago)
Last error: 09/27/17 09:34:43 (7 minutes ago)
Consecutive errors: 29

CAPABILITIES:
auth=plain, auth=xoauth2, children, id, idle, imap4rev1, literal+, move, namespace, sasl-ir, uidplus, unselect

FOLDERS:
Archive, Deleted, Drafts, Inbox, Junk, Notes, Outbox

SSL Certificate Information:
Subject: /C=US/ST=Washington/L=Redmond/O=Microsoft Corporation/CN=outlook.com
Issuer: /OU=generated by avast! antivirus for SSL/TLS scanning/O=avast! Web/Mail Shield/CN=avast! Web/Mail Shield Root
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

(For vonitsa and CB)

Thanks very much to both of you for your respective reports and the detailed info provided! I've contacted Jeff to apprise him of your posts. He and other members of The Esumsoft Team should be along at some point to further review your posts, and provide any additional insight into the issues they may have.

[SIDENOTE]: Just noticed that this same issue was reported back on February 18th & apparently resolved somehow. (Link to that topic shown below):

viewtopic.php?p=33894#p33894

Best regards.
Global Moderator
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

@spc3rd: Thanks Pete! =D>

As the thread's OP did, I've temporarily changed Server Type from IMAP to Hotmail/Outlook as a band-aid.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There seems to be a general problem with outlook.com's IMAP server once again:
http://downdetector.com/status/outlook/ ... at-outlook
Many people are reporting errors, and of the few that cite the specific error, it's the same "User is authenticated but not connected" that POP Peeper reports. This is a problem with the Outlook servers, not a POP Peeper problem.

As a work-around:
WebMail should work.
POP3 may also work -- if you try it, let us know your results.

To change the protocol, edit your account in POP Peeper and change the Server type to "Hotmail/Outlook" (for webmail) or "POP3."
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Thanks for the update Jeff!
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Changed server to hotmail and it works ..thank you very much