Having log in problems with 2 Gmail accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
arcadian

Having log in problems with 2 Gmail accounts

Post by arcadian »

Hi

I've 8 GMail accounts all of which have been working fine for quite a while, then two of them suddenly wouldn't open. Tried to answer their mass of instructions but gave up as I was going round in circles as usual. Can you help ?

Thanks

The first refusal saying :

[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error ([ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 Failure)

The second:

--- Error ---
Login Error (Empty username or password. z141mb492105575wmc)
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error ([ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 Failure)
mjs

Re: Having log in problems with 2 Gmail accounts

Post by mjs »

Are you using OAuth2 for these IMAP accounts?

If you are not sure or do not know, edit the accounts and click on the OAuth2 button to the right of the interface and follow the steps to authorize PP. (it is also recommended to enable IDLE/Push for IMAP accounts which among other things helps reduce the number of log-ins which is good because a high frequency of log-ins can sometimes trigger Gmail to consider this as "suspicious" activity).

Are you able to successfully log-in to Gmail on the web?

It may be that Gmail is simply requiring you to answer a question.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Thanks. Is OAuth 2 the one which allows you to enter one's GMail log in details through a window sitting over the top of GMail's log in page ? If so I have but that's about all.

I can't seem to find the OAuth2 button in edit accounts only SMTP authentication, is it that one ? However Idle/Push is enabled though I did fill in a password request into an existing empty box....
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Yes I am able to log-in to the two accounts in question in GMail on the web....
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

One GMail account's back, the one where I filled in the password....
mjs

Post by mjs »

arcadian wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm Thanks. Is OAuth 2 the one which allows you to enter one's GMail log in details through a window sitting over the top of GMail's log in page ? If so I have but that's about all.

I can't seem to find the OAuth2 button in edit accounts only SMTP authentication, is it that one ? However Idle/Push is enabled though I did fill in a password request into an existing empty box....
This is the button I am referring to:
OAuth button.png
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Nothing above "Confirm" just a blank space....
mjs

Post by mjs »

What version of POP Peeper are you using (from main menu: Help>About POP Peeper...)?
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

There's a notice about a new version of PP from V.4.1.1 to 4.4.0. which I didn't know was there , so I'll download it now....
mjs

Post by mjs »

Great, were you using v4.4.1? If so the OAuth2 button should have been visible for your Gmail accounts using IMAP.

It would be more helpful if instead of just posting the error but instead post the entire Error Overview Information for any error(s) that you might get in POP Peeper (doing this provides us with more information including the version releases you are using).

Refer to the following link on how to post this information: PP Error Messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. Make sure when you do this that you please edit/obscure any personally-identifiable information that might otherwise be displayed, before submitting the information into a topic.
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

No I was using the earlier version so puzzled why I didn't get to hear about it. Also I'd already removed all non PP information first before submitting it so will check the PP error messages later on.

However now having problems downloading due to living in a very slow download speed area as I'm not able to download anything at the moment despite clicking several times on the YES button, still it's nearly 11pm so I expect it'll speed up soon when people start shutting down. You get used to it and the many false promises that it will improve very soon.... [-o<
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Finally got there and all working when I re-opened PP. Many, many thanks as always ! :)

If only GMail would wake up and reduce the enormous amounts of time wasting irrelevant information on trying to wade through it all.... !
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

While I agree that GMail could give you the specific reason for the error (ie. that OAuth is required) I have to admit that it's still better than what Yahoo does in the same situation -- they simply give a login error.

Glad you got it working :)
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

I am getting errors on one of two Gmail acccounts today. Both accounts are set to server type: gmail.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.0.3005
Webmail: 4.4.9.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.0.3005
SendMail: 4.5.0.3005
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.3005 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.3005 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.3005 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.3005 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Gmail [10: Gmail] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 23]
- Error: Try again later. (-1007)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's been quite a few people reporting -1007 lately -- I'm not sure why, I haven't seen any issues with my test accounts. Regardless, what has worked so far is to simply log into the account with your webbrowser, and if you're already signed in, sign out and back in and then PP should work.

Alternatively -- and RECOMMENDED as it has immediate (more features) and long-term (more stable) benefits -- use IMAP instead of WebMail:
- Edit the account in POP Peeper
- Change "server type" to IMAP
- Press the "OAuth2" button that will appear next to "Login name" and follow the instructions
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

Signing out then signing back in worked.
When I signed back it, it wanted me to check my recovery options. That must have been causing the error.
Thx!