Red X Next to message deleted from server

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
kolohe

Red X Next to message deleted from server

Post by kolohe »

Hi,
I recently added an email to PP. I deleted a message from the web server and now the message in PP shows a red X next to message but won't delete it. I had this problem once before and the following is what you told me to do. I checked the General heading and I don't see anywhere to "enable Advanced options." But I was able to enable "remove messages not on server". The problem with the red X continues. I have added other emails to PP without this problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
[/
The red-X means that the message was removed from the server, but that should only happen if the messages were removed externally from POP Peeper (ie. if you deleted them from the website) and then only if you have a certain setting enabled (which is not enabled by default). So, let's make sure you don't have that setting enabled:
First, you'll need to enable Advanced Options, if it's not already set:
1) main menu: Tools / Options / General
2) Enable "Advanced options" on the top-right
3) Press OK

If you still have a problem, be sure to mention what types of accounts the affected accounts are (e.g. POP3, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc)

Now, to change it for one of the accounts:
1) Edit the account
2) Go to the 'Advanced' tab
3) "Remove messages not on server" should be enabled
4) Press Update to save

quote]
kolohe

Re: Red X Next to message deleted from server

Post by kolohe »

I think I figured out the problem.. it had to do with the setting "remove messages not on server". I did restart PP and reset the messages remove from server and It all seems to be working ok.

Thanks
mjs

Post by mjs »

Glad to hearing everything is working okay now.

Just an FYI for future reference: If you ever happen to have a message with a red "X" --- if you select that message and click the "Delete" button (or right-click on that message and select "Delete" from the context menu [example below]) that message will then be removed from the PP inbox that moment.

Easy Right-click - Delete example (right-click on red "X" message and select "Delete" from menu):
Right-click on message with red X and then select Delete from menu.png
Right-click on message with red X and then select Delete from menu.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
At least this works for me....:wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I don't disable the "remove messages from server" option in my main configuration and it was a long time since I wrote that bit of code -- which means that I just experimented with it to see how it behaved as opposed to knowing/remembering how it was designed to work -- but what I found is:

If the "remove messages from server" setting is disabled, and you have messages with the red-X (those messages are not on the server) and then you enable "remove messages from server", those red-X messages are removed immediately as soon as you press "Update" to save the accounts settings. There may be some rules involved which prevents that from happening (e.g. if that account or maybe another account is currently being checked), which I didn't test for.

But, yes, deleting a red-X message manually will also delete the email immediately, as mentioned by lakrsrool (*that* I remember and didn't have to test [although I did] :) )