Tray email count

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jetsfan

Tray email count

Post by jetsfan »

Any way to fix the email count on the tray icon when it reads higher than the main window?
PP v4.4 OS W10.

Thanks
mjs

Re: Tray email count

Post by mjs »

Please provide more details.

To clarify you have referenced the "tray icon", so it would be accurate to say this is the small tray "mail box" icon you speak of as opposed to the Desktop Alert?

Are you speaking of the number of incoming messages?

Is the count in the tray icon consistently (always) higher than what is present in the main window?

What count are you speaking of in the main window?

What options do you have selected in "Options" > "Tray icon"?

Any additional pertinent information that I may have not covered?

Thanks. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

Hi.
Main window shows 6 emails, 4 blue envelopes and two yellow envelopes for all accounts. Tray icon (mailbox) shows 4 new / 6 unread / 21 total.
The total is always higher than 0 even when new and unread are 0.
Shouldn't the total in this case be 6 or is it counting something else that is hidden?
Tray icon options are classic icons and change icon when checking for mail .

Just noticed one of the 4 accounts (IMAP) has the 'missing' emails in it but it is not selected for check mail in the left hand check boxes.The emails only show in the main window when that account is selected under VIEW rather than having 'all accounts' selected when they don't show up along with the other POP accounts.

Maybe this is normal for IMAP?
mjs

Post by mjs »

You have reference "new" and "unread", there could also be "read" messages as well which could make up the total of 21 in your example i.e. 4 new, 6 unread and 11 read messages.

Everyone of my 40 accounts will have a higher total number than "new" and "unread" combined.

Here is an example of my accounts (currently none of which have any "new" messages as you can see and as you can see the "total" messages in all cases is larger than the "unread" messages plus the zero "new" messages):
example of read and unread in PP.png
example of read and unread in PP.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Now just taking one of these accounts, with a relatively small number of messages, would be the fifth account on the list for example (notice there are 8 "unread" and 0 "new" with a total of 13 messages so we should expect that there are probably 5 "read" messages and sure enough that's what we have (as illustrated below in the screen-shot for this specific account):
taking 5th account on list - 5 read make up the total.png
taking 5th account on list - 5 read make up the total.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
This would be the case with virtually all of these 40 accounts all of which you will notice that the total of the "new" and "unread" is in every case less than the "total" number of messages for each specific account (the difference presumably being the "read" messages). And of course the "read" messages are not of any concern as you've already read them presumably as opposed to the more important messages that are either "new" or still "unread".

As to possible "hidden" messages, you can check for this by going to "Messages" in the main POP Peeper interface and unchecking "Enable display filters...", you will then see a popup message explaining what this does and if there are any "hidden" messages they will be displayed in the POP Peeper inbox in this case. (you should not leave this option unchecked so if you do check for "hidden" messages keep in mind to check the "Enable display filters..." again when done).
jetsfan wrote:Just noticed one of the 4 accounts (IMAP) has the 'missing' emails in it but it is not selected for check mail in the left hand check boxes.
If you have the box unchecked in front of an account in the left account list pane of the main POP Peeper interface then you have enabled the "Show enabled checkbox" and of course any accounts that are not checked are not enabled for "Mail Checks" and therefore will not be included in the POP Peeper "Mail Checks" that are done by POP Peeper so as a consequence there may be "missing" messages for these specific accounts in POP Peeper. (Note: the "Enable" option at the bottom-left of an edit-account interface is the equivalent of this check box)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also: POP Peeper displays the same new/unread/total statistics in the status bar (bottom) of the main window; the values should be identical when PP is viewing *All Accounts*. These numbers reflect the overall statistics, including hidden messages and messages in disabled accounts.
jetsfan

Post by jetsfan »

I think I understand. Might take a couple of re-reads to be sure but thanks for taking the time to explain.
Relentence

Post by Relentence »

Jeff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm Also: POP Peeper displays the same new/unread/total statistics in the status bar (bottom) of the main window; the values should be identical when PP is viewing *All Accounts*. These numbers reflect the overall statistics, including hidden messages and messages in disabled accounts.
This behavior took me by surprise. I currently have 6 messages visible in All Accounts, but the Total count is 456 because I have several accounts excluded from All Accounts. It'd be my preference if the All Accounts stats did not include the accounts excluded from All Accounts.

I know I have 6 messages because that is a small enough number to count. But, when there are more, I don't know. For me, All Accounts contains the mail I need to process (by moving it out of the inbox). The reason I have some accounts excluded from All Accounts is because I don't ever move the messages out of those inboxes.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That's a slippery slope because there are several ways to hide messages and then what reasons do you use to justify if they're included in the stats or not... My guess is that there's no "correct" way to do it as there would be people who fall on both sides of the argument.

I've had the idea of being able to group accounts and hopefully that will be able to better convey the statistics in a way that has more meaning. That is, you may be able to see those stats for a group of accounts that you've defined.