Using Subject line as a screen for junk

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
BDinger3

Using Subject line as a screen for junk

Post by BDinger3 »

My email has been co-opted for what I call the "RE: Unsubscribe remove" scam. For some reason, a great many people whose email address is either real or fictional (or both) are being given some message about unsubscribing from somewhere with my email as the party to contact.

Eventually, I'm hoping the instigators of this scam will give up and go somewhere else but in the meantime, I no longer want to see in my PopPeeper window any more of these "Re: Unsubscribe remove" emails.

Therefore, is there a way to write a rule for PopPeeper to automatically mark as junk any email which has "Re: Unsubscibe remove" in the subject line?

Thanks,
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Using Subject line as a screen for junk

Post by Jeff »

There's actually a more official term for what you're experiencing: joe-job (although, I think that "joe job" usually implies an intentional targeting by the spammers, which hopefully is not the case for you). Also, the use of spoofing the email address is one of several reasons why POP Peeper does not support the capability to "bounce" back spam messages.

Anyway, on to your question -- assuming that you have POP Peeper Pro (with AntiJunk), it's fairly easy:
1) Open AntiJunk:
- main menu: Tools / AntiJunk -> Main interface
2) Select "Rules" on the left
3) Press the "Add" button in the toolbar
4) Give the rule a name
5) In the box in the middle, next to the word "Req" select "Subject"
6) In the textbox to the right of "subject", enter the subject, e.g. RE: Unsubscribe remove
- capitalization doesn't matter
- using "contains" is probably the best
7) If you're sure that this rule is good and won't catch any legitimate email, you can tell PP to delete the email:
a) On the bottom-left, select: Perform Actions
b) Enable "Delete" AND "mark read" ("mark read" is recommended otherwise, PP may still announce it as new mail)
8) Press OK a couple of times

If you already have a message that you want to test it on, right-click on the message and select AntiJunk -> Re-evaluate message. And if you told PP to delete it, you should see the blue trashcan appear.

Hope that helps and I hope the spammers leave you alone soon!
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disable smilies
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Thanks - I'll give this a whirl and report back if I have problems.

Bill D
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

One of my new rules is not working entirely - part of it works but not an important part. The part that doesn't work is "Hiding" the email so I never see it. Please refer to the attachments. The email I don't want to see anymore is from "Weiss". (I've tried to unsubscribe several times to no avail). As you can see, it's got a red dot by it and the trash can but I don't want to even see this, not just tag it. As you can see, I have designated three actions - Delete, Mark Read and Hide. The "hide" part is obviously not working. The text on this is italic in the PopPeeper window which is not normal - I don't know if that makes any difference.

How can I get the "Hide" part of this to work?

Thanks,
Attachments
Weiss Rules.jpg
Anti Junk Main Screen.jpg
PopPeeper Main Screen.jpg
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

I'm seeing "hide" is not working in my other new rule either. See attachments.

Hope we can fix this. It is not sufficient to have these emails marked for removal. I don't want to ever see them.
Attachments
Hide not working.jpg
Hide not working #2.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The italics means that the message is marked as hidden, but your current settings are set to display hidden messages.

Look under the main "Messages" menu. To work as you're expecting, both of these options need to be enabled:
- Enable display filters
- Hide hidden messages
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Thank you. This last step seems to be working.