Clicking popup does not show Pop Peeper window

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lian

Clicking popup does not show Pop Peeper window

Post by lian »

Hello, I updated PopP to v4.5 amd I meet a strange problem. When the popup shows new messages, clicking on it when PopP is already running, its window is not showing on top - it stays behind the other windows.
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Re: Clicking popup does not show Pop Peeper window

Post by mjs »

Please clarify, I'm not sure what you mean by "clicking on it". (What is "it"?, do you mean clicking on the tray icon balloon tip alert?) and also I'm not sure what is meant by POP Peeper "is already running".

I've done a number of tests and cannot duplicate any kind of issue involving either of these two alerts: 1) Desktop Alert or 2) Tray icon balloon tip alert, as far as not staying on top.

I'm assuming you are talking about the tray icon balloon tip alert, if you click on that alert it opens the POP Peeper interface (assuming it is not open already) and will disappear at that time.

Tray icon Balloon Tip alert example:
Balloon tip popup.png
Balloon tip popup.png (19.3 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
Example of both alerts (click on screen-shot image to enlarge, click on browser back-arrow to return to this topic):
CLICK TO ENLARGE (use browser back-arrow to return to forum)
CLICK TO ENLARGE (use browser back-arrow to return to forum)
Please provide more specifics to the following questions:
1) Which "popup shows new messages" are you referring to?
2) What are you doing when you say "clicking on it"?
3) What do you mean by "PopP is already running"?

I'm assuming the Balloon tip alert is what you mean by the "popup shows new messages" and you are clicking on that alert when you say "clicking on it" (which will disappear in any case when clicked on -- PP will open if not already open) and "already running" is POP Peeper "open" (interface open), but I could be wrong. More details on exactly what you mean and are doing will help. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
lian

Post by lian »

Sorry, english is not my native language so it’s hard to find the right terms.

I was speaking of the icon balloon tip alert… but I have not the one showed anymore but a black pop up (Windows had an update recently and I suspect this may be the culprit).

1) Which "popup shows new messages" are you referring to?
The one you showed instead it’s now a black message.
2) What are you doing when you say "clicking on it"?
Well, I click on the message :oops:
3) What do you mean by "PopP is already running"?
The PopP main window with message list is opened - but not on top.
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Post by mjs »

1) So it is the balloon tip alert that has the problem(s) and that this alert does not stay on top. I am unable to confirm that this alert does not stay on top since in my case the balloon tip does stay on top but as I have mentioned the alert will disappear if you click on the balloon tip alert.

You did not mention before that it is "black", so then it does not look like this anymore?:
Balloon tip popup.png
Balloon tip popup.png (19.3 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
So is the problem now that it does not stay on top or that it has "a black message" or both?

2) If you mean by you "click on the message" you are clicking on the balloon tip alert this alert will disappear when you do this so perhaps it is not a problem of staying on top.

3) That is what I thought you meant by "PopP is already running", this main POP Peeper window does not always stay on top if that is what you mean. However the balloon tip alert will always stay on top as long as it is visible. (you would not want the main PP window to always stay on top because it would be impossible to do any other work on the computer while the main PP window is open, just clicking on a PP icon (if you have one ) or double-clicking on the tray icon will bring the PP main window to the foreground again (place it on top) if you need to see it again.

As to the balloon tip getting rendered as "a black message", try rebooting your computer to see if this helps in that regard.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
lian

Post by lian »

I get the balloon :-)
alert edited for security reasons.png
alert edited for security reasons.png (6.75 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
After some thinking, it may be related to Nexus Dock I’m using. I have to make some other tests.

OK, the black message is not related to the dock but when I close the dock, clicking on the message gives me access to PopP main window.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited screen-shot image for security/privacy reasons
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Post by mjs »

Clicking on the balloon alert is supposed to open POP Peeper (I presume this is what you mean by "when I close the dock". So you are getting the balloon alert to display the messages retrieved. As to why it is black, I'm not sure -- this may be due to a browser theme you are using).

Was the balloon tip alert black before updating to PP v4.5?

If not have you made any other recent changes to you computer?

If not, like I suggested; try rebooting your computer to see if this makes a difference.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited: stuck out reference to browser themes -- a browser theme should not impact other independent apps.
lian

Post by lian »

I remembre the "old style" balloon but if it’s related to the browser, I switched recently from Firefox to CentBrowser (Chromium).
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Post by mjs »

On further consideration, I do not see how a browser theme or using a different browser as well would cause a change like this.

So when did the tray icon balloon alert start getting displayed in black? Was it after updating to PP v4.5 and have you made any other changes to your computer?

Are you using something different than the PP default as far as a notifier skin?

If what you mean by "closing the doc" is disabling Nexus Dock then perhaps this app is impacting the PP tray icon popup in some manner as it appears that this app does change icons and offers various skins which can impact system tray icons as far as the way they are displayed (are you using the free version or the ultimate version of Winstep Nexus?).

Again, if this is new as far as the balloon tip changing and you have not made any other changes (i.e. changing the PP notifier skin or anything else on your computer) then try rebooting your computer and see if this makes a difference (i.e. you may need to do this after disabling Nexus Dock if that is what you were doing before).

Perhaps other members of the Esumsoft Team will have additional feedback regarding the way your tray icon balloon tip is getting rendered.
lwc

Post by lwc »

After upgrading to v4.5 (using the latest Win 10), whenever I get notified on new mail and click it, I just get a brown button:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.79 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I can't remember when Windows 10 changed this -- it may have been as recently as the Fall Creators Update -- but Windows wants these things to just be used for "notifications" without user interaction. ie. clicking on the notification is intended to dismiss the notification and nothing more. Personally, I think this change is a major annoyance, but apparently some apps were abusing this and that's why Microsoft changed it (if the apps were "abusing it" then perhaps users shouldn't be using those apps...). So now when you click on the Notification window, POP Peeper can still try to show the app, but Windows won't allow it to take the focus -- that's why POP Peeper's taskbar button will flash (the "brown" that you mentioned), which means that POP Peeper requested that it be moved to the foreground but Windows blocked it. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about this...

One alternative is to use the skin notifier and disable the balloon tip notifier. The skin notifier will work as you want when you double-click it.
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... inNotifier
lian

Post by lian »

Thanks for the explanation. I will have a look at the plugin.
Windows 10 64 bits
lian

Post by lian »

SkinNotifier does not work for me :-( Test is working but not the feature (no balloon when I got new mail).
Windows 10 64 bits
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm just guessing here but I think that by default the skin notifier only appears for a few seconds when you receive new email, so try changing it so that it stays until dismissed:
From POP Peeper's main menu, select Tools / Skin notifier -> settings
On the bottom-right, enable "override slider"
Set "mode" to one of the following: "fade in" or "slide in" or "disable slider"
lian

Post by lian »

No, it does not work [-(
Windows 10 64 bits
lian

Post by lian »

Sorry, it seems to work but not everytime. Well, I will take care of this. Thanks for the help.
Windows 10 64 bits