Cannot "check mail"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

Cannot "check mail"

Post by bbqbrisket »

Notice on bottom of the program says "15 minutes til next mail check". Why can't I over-ride this?
mjs

Re: Cannot "check mail"

Post by mjs »

Addendum: bbqbrisket -- If your question is in regards to "forced" Mail Checks not working as expected as opposed to asking about methods of doing "forced" Mail Checks (as referenced in this post below) and your accounts are all using IMAP with IDLE/Push enabled then please scroll down to the post by Jeff that describes the one exception regarding "forced" Mail Checks which would require either an account right-click Mail Check or an account disconnect to perform a "forced" Mail Check as explained in more detail in the post by Jeff below (of course for accounts using these protocols it isn't necessary to "force" Mail checks anyway).

There are a few ways to temporarily override the POP Peeper Mail Check Polling Interval and do a Mail Check on demand, three of which are listed below:

1) Right-click on the POP Peeper tray icon and select "Check mail" from the context menu.
2) From the POP Peeper main interface window click on the "Mail Check" button (default button in POP Peeper toolbar).
3) From the POP main menu; click on "File" > "Check mail" (this will be available even if the default "Mail Check" button has been removed from the toolbar).

On the other hand, if you are talking about permanently changing the 15 minute interval for doing scheduled (automatic) Mail Checks to some other value then this is can be done from the main menu in "Tools" > "Options" > "Mail Check" by modifying the "Minutes - polling interval" value to whatever Polling Interval value you want. (On a side note; you also have the option to set Account specific Email Account Polling Intervals by editing the Account and changing the Account specific Polling Interval value in the "Advanced" interface of the Edit Account window for the specific Account, which will override the global Polling Interval previously referenced. Note: If the "Advanced" tab is not listed in the left pane of the Edit Account window you would need to go to "Tools" > "Options" > "General" and enable [check] "Advanced options" in upper-right corner of interface.)

Details regarding all of this can be found in "Help" > "Contents" > using "Search" Keywords i.e. "mail check'" and/or "polling" and then select (double-click) topics i.e. "Mail Check" and/or "Advanced" (or optionally using the "Index" keyword "polling" to display either the "Mail Check" or "Advanced" topics). :wink:
Last edited by mjs on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Nichodeamus

Post by Nichodeamus »

I also can not 'Check Mail'. And this has nothing to do with my failing to understand HOW to use your software, or where to find the right button or menu. THIS IS A BUG which I am reporting to you.

The problem, is that I've set a time period of 4 minutes before automatic checks. And when I try to override that, to get an immediate check update, either by using the right-click menu on pop peeper's notification icon, or by using the Check Mail button in pop peeper's program window, IT DOES NOT WORK. Instead of checking my mail immediately, it resets the countdown timer, to a fresh new 4 more minutes.
----
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Nichodeamus,

ADDENDUM: If your accounts are using IMAP with IDLE/Push enabled then please scroll down to the post by Jeff that describes in detail the one exception regarding "forced" Mail Checks in which case either an account right-click Mail Check (Point #5 below in my post) or an account disconnect would be required to perform a "forced" Mail Check
(but then "forced" Mail Checks for accounts using these protocols isn't necessary anyway :wink:).

To clarify, if you have the POP Peeper interface open and force an on demand "Mail Check" do you not see any status messages of any kind in the "Status line" at the bottom of the POP Peeper interface (just below POP Peepers right inbox pane) such as "logging in" or "connecting..." or "retrieving inbox..." or "retrieving mail..." or "retrieving number of messages" etc. etc.? And if not then what you are saying is all that you do see is nothing more than the "XX Minute(s) remaining until next mail check" status getting reset to the (starting) "Polling interval" value?

I ask the question because I am unable to duplicate this issue (testing this multiple times).

Please follow-up with a reply to all of the requests/questions below:

1.) What type of accounts do you have (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook.com etc.)?

2.) What type of protocol(s) are you using (Server type = i.e. IMAP, POP3, Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook etc.)?

3.) If you right-click on an account and select "Server info" what is it that you see for "Last success:...." for that account? ---- which should display the last date/time of the last Mail Check.

4.) Are you getting any account errors? (note: "last error:..." is also displayed under the "Last success:..." in the "Server info" display box).

5.) What happens if you right-click on a specific account and select "Check mail" from the context menu? (Do you see any activity at all in the "Status bar" at the bottom of the open POP Peeper interface?).

6.) Have you tried sending a "test" message to a specific account and then doing a "Mail check" for that specific account that the message was sent to i.e. a right-click on that specific account and selecting "Mail check" to see if the message you sent is retrieved by POP Peeper? (if not please try this test and post your results)

7.) It is also important to from the main POP Peeper menu click on "File" > "Error overview" (regardless if you have any errors or not -- it may be a blank box) and then click on the "Copy" button in that "Error overview" window and then "Paste" (right-click and select "Paste") to this topic the copied information (there will be information copied whether you have [displayed] errors or not --- which will provide us with additional POP Peeper data that applies to you specifically that can be helpful to us in analyzing this issue).

8.) If you are using either of the "IMAP" and/or "POP3" protocol(s) on your account(s) then please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Message retrieval" and post what the value is that you have for the "POP3/IMAP message limit" option.

9.) In "Tools" > "Options" > "Connection"; what "Connection type" are you using?

10.) And lastly, when did this issue start and as of the time it started have you changed anything involving the computers security software i.e. Firewall and/or AV protection etc.?

11.) On and one more thing, if you have made changes of any kind (added software or made setting changes) related to point #10 above --- then have you since that time tried rebooting your system?

That's about all I can think of for now that may be of some help.

Thanks!
Last edited by mjs on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If all your accounts use imap AND all your accounts are already connected via IDLE, then pressing "Check Mail" will have the appearance of not doing anything. That's because idling accounts do not need to perform a check mail -- they're already in a state such that they would notify you of new email if there was any new email. This is intentional and is not a bug.

If you right-click on the account and select "Check mail" -- then this will force the account to check and you will see activity.

If you disconnect the account and then press "check mail" you will see activity because the account will have to re-connect. If you then press "check mail" again, you can expect to see no activity again because the account is back in the idle state. To disconnect an account, right-click and select "disconnect" (disconnect is only available with "advanced options" enabled -- main menu: Tools / Options; 'General' page).
thebluejay

Post by thebluejay »

I too have this issue. Check mail does not work either manually or at specified intervals. It will work for each individual account but refuses to check all accounts.
I have seen previous suggestions in the forum and will attempt to provide appropriate info.

1.) What type of accounts do you have (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook.com etc.)?
Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail

2.) What type of protocol(s) are you using (Server type = i.e. IMAP, POP3, Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook etc.)?
IMAP

3.) If you right-click on an account and select "Server info" what is it that you see for "Last success:...." for that account? ---- which should display the last date/time of the last Mail Check.
[address@yahoo.com]

Server size: 7419 bytes
Mem size: 5559 bytes
File size: 12978 bytes

Last DB Maint (global): 03/02/19 07:53:58 (12 days)

Last success: -
Last error: 03/14/19 13:55:21 (10 minutes ago)
- Error ([CLIENTBUG] UID COPY Command arguments invalid)
Consecutive errors: 0

CAPABILITIES:
auth=oauthbearer, auth=plain, auth=xoauth2, children, id, imap4rev1, literal+, move, namespace, sasl-ir, uidplus, x-msg-ext, xymhighestmodseq

FOLDERS:
Archive, Bulk Mail, Draft, Inbox, Sent, Trash

SSL Certificate Information:
Subject: /C=US/ST=California/L=Sunnyvale/O=Yahoo Holdings, Inc./CN=*.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Issuer: /C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 High Assurance Server CA

4.) Are you getting any account errors? (note: "last error:..." is also displayed under the "Last success:..." in the "Server info" display box).
Some errors have appeared as I have been juggling server settings. On a properly configured account checked individually, I get this:
[different address@gmail.com]

Server size: 0 bytes
Mem size: 0 bytes
File size: 0 bytes

Last DB Maint (global): 03/02/19 07:53:58 (12 days)

Last success: 03/14/19 13:59:50 (8 minutes ago)
Last error: -
Consecutive errors: 0

CAPABILITIES:
appendlimit=35651584, auth=oauthbearer, auth=plain, auth=plain-clienttoken, auth=xoauth, auth=xoauth2, children, compress=deflate, condstore, enable, esearch, id, idle, list-extended, list-status, literal-, move, namespace, quota, sasl-ir, special-use, uidplus, unselect, utf8=accept, x-gm-ext-1, xlist, xyzzy

FOLDERS:
INBOX, [Gmail], [Gmail]/All Mail, [Gmail]/Drafts, [Gmail]/Important, [Gmail]/Sent Mail, [Gmail]/Spam, [Gmail]/Starred, [Gmail]/Trash

SSL Certificate Information:
Subject: /C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=imap.gmail.com
Issuer: /C=US/O=Google Trust Services/CN=Google Internet Authority G3

5.) What happens if you right-click on a specific account and select "Check mail" from the context menu? (Do you see any activity at all in the "Status bar" at the bottom of the open POP Peeper interface?).
Works fine for each specific account.

6.) Have you tried sending a "test" message to a specific account and then doing a "Mail check" for that specific account that the message was sent to i.e. a right-click on that specific account and selecting "Mail check" to see if the message you sent is retrieved by POP Peeper? (if not please try this test and post your results)
Yes, mail is received so long as mail check is done for specific account

7.) It is also important to from the main POP Peeper menu click on "File" > "Error overview" (regardless if you have any errors or not -- it may be a blank box) and then click on the "Copy" button in that "Error overview" window and then "Paste" (right-click and select "Paste") to this topic the copied information (there will be information copied whether you have [displayed] errors or not --- which will provide us with additional POP Peeper data that applies to you specifically that can be helpful to us in analyzing this issue).
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.2.0
Webmail: 4.5.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
(none)

This was run after each account had been individually checked, but Check Mail button after that operation had no effect.

8.) If you are using either of the "IMAP" and/or "POP3" protocol(s) on your account(s) then please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Message retrieval" and post what the value is that you have for the "POP3/IMAP message limit" option.
Set at 0

9.) In "Tools" > "Options" > "Connection"; what "Connection type" are you using?
Permanent Connection

10.) And lastly, when did this issue start and as of the time it started have you changed anything involving the computers security software i.e. Firewall and/or AV protection etc.?
I have been using PP for many years with the same firewall and AV protection. The problem started perhaps a few weeks ago for no apparent reason.

11.) On and one more thing, if you have made changes of any kind (added software or made setting changes) related to point #10 above --- then have you since that time tried rebooting your system?
I have tried rebooting but nothing changes.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the detailed info thebluejay:

1) Please post the values you have in the circled area of the screen-shot below (under "Tools">"Options">"Mail Check"):
Check Mail Settings.png
2) Do you have "Auto Check" enabled (checked) as illustrated in the screen-shot below (under "File" in main PP interface)
Auto Check enabled.png
Auto Check enabled.png (24.14 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
3) Select "Accounts" in the main menu interface and check the box circled to see if all of your Accounts have a check mark in the left Account pane of the main interface (all accounts are enabled that have a check mark in front of the account):
Show Enabled.png
Show Enabled.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Is the error you are getting due to PP attempting an "Auto" (scheduled) Mail Check the same for all accounts?

Please provide us with the complete Error Overview information after a scheduled Mail Check (that fails) is attempted - CLICK HERE on how to do this. (this gives us a lot more detailed info that can be helpful in determining the problem)

Thanks again. :wink: