Blocked account - Gmail doesn't recognize me when changing IP address

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jj14

Blocked account - Gmail doesn't recognize me when changing IP address

Post by jj14 »

Hi.
I'm posting here because I'm not sure it's a problem with Gmail or Pop Peeper. I use this email client for years. Have ADSL connection with dynamic IP and while the modem was in router mode, everything was fine.
I could turn off the modem to get a new IP address.

The point is: days ago I had to change the modem setup, now it's in bridge mode. This is the *only* change.
It's the same modem, same PC etc. Nothing was changed, except it's bridge.

So everyday when the PC starts, the Windows dials to the ISP. I open Pop Peeper and got an error saying 'try again later'. I need to open a browser to access gmail and see a message stating to unblock my account need to receive a SMS.
Then PopPeeper can download the messages.

Now, for example, if I click 'disconnect' from my ISP and connect it again, the account will be blocked.
Why is this happening?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Blocked account - Gmail doesn't recognize me when changing IP address

Post by Jeff »

GMail has some very touchy security settings that causes this. To quickly fix this, you need to log into your gmail account(s) with your webbrowser (you should log out and sign back in if you're automatically signed in). Once this is done, gmail has recorded your IP as "valid" and PP will be able to login. But this will happen everytime your IP changes (if it changes back to an IP that was already validated for your account, Google remembers this... 8-[ ).

But, ideally, you should switch to using IMAP instead of WebMail and you won't have this problem. IMAP is superior to WebMail anyway, so it really is the best solution, even if you didn't have this problem.
1) Edit your gmail account
2) Change the 'server type' from 'Gmail' to 'Imap'
3) Press the "Oauth2" button which will appear to the right of your login name and follow the instructions
jj14

Post by jj14 »

It's IMAP.

This blocking wasn't happening when my modem was used as router. As I said, I could turn on/off to get a new IP with no problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In that case, you'll need to let us know the exact error that occurs, because "try again later" usually only applies to WebMail which is why I assumed that. Although, it's possible that the error from GMail says "try again later" but, regardless, we'll need to know the exact error; so when it happens:
- Press the yellow '!' button in the bottom-right of the main window (it's only present when there's an active error)
- Press the 'Copy' button
Then you can 'Paste' the information (if there's any PII like your email address, be sure to remove it). This information contains much more relevant information than simply copying the text from the window which may also prove helpful.

It is possible that Gmail requires even IMAP to do a login in this condition. My ISP (comcast) forces the IP address on me, so I've had the same IP address for a while... On second thought, I did actually have to change it a few months ago, but I honestly don't remember the specific side-effects it caused. I do remember having to deal with GMail, but that was more likely because I tested webmail, for which I expected this problem.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff - it appears jj14 is using Webmail, not IMAP -- as the "Server type" is set to "Gmail" according to the screen-shot provided.... (at some point the protocol has been switched from IMAP to Webmail).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
jj14

Post by jj14 »

Jeff wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:06 pm In that case, you'll need to let us know the exact error that occurs, because "try again later" usually only applies to WebMail which is why I assumed that. Although, it's possible that the error from GMail says "try again later" but, regardless, we'll need to know the exact error; so when it happens:
- Press the yellow '!' button in the bottom-right of the main window (it's only present when there's an active error)
- Press the 'Copy' button
Then you can 'Paste' the information (if there's any PII like your email address, be sure to remove it). This information contains much more relevant information than simply copying the text from the window which may also prove helpful.

It is possible that Gmail requires even IMAP to do a login in this condition. My ISP (comcast) forces the IP address on me, so I've had the same IP address for a while... On second thought, I did actually have to change it a few months ago, but I honestly don't remember the specific side-effects it caused. I do remember having to deal with GMail, but that was more likely because I tested webmail, for which I expected this problem.
I've just got a new IP, closed and opened Pop Peeper.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.12.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [10: Gmail] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool is quite right -- you're using webmail, not imap; I should have caught that :oops: The "incoming server" is a little misleading -- for webmail, it can be used to access other servers that use gmail, but since it's set to the imap server, it's ignored.

So what I said before should fix it:
1) Edit your gmail account
2) Change the 'server type' from 'Gmail' to 'Imap'
3) Press the "Oauth2" button which will appear to the right of your login name and follow the instructions
jj14

Post by jj14 »

It looks like it's solved. I disconnected and connected twice. Pop Peeper downloaded all the emails.
Thank you. :D
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thank you for updating us, jj14, and glad to hear everything is back to normal on your end!

The Esumsoft Team would like to welcome you to the Forums. As you are our newest member, we ask that you please take a few minutes to review the information provided at the link below:

Information for new users and forum members

The Sticky topic above contains important information to help orient new members to the Forums, including links to additional resources here.

Please let us know if you have any questions or other comments!

Welcome aboard & best regards! :D
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad we could help :)