Gmail nuisance

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Tinerfeño

Gmail nuisance

Post by Tinerfeño »

For the last couple of days gmail has been displaying a warning to disable unsafe applications external to google. I just use poppeeper. Is there a solution for this annoyance?
Thanks in advance.
Regards
mjs

Re: Gmail nuisance

Post by mjs »

What version of POP Peeper are you using?

What connection protocol are you using (specifically what is the"Server type" set at for this account)?

We Esumsoft Team members recommend the "Server type" be set to "IMAP" and to be sure to set POP Peeper as an authorized app.

In the event you are not using "IMAP" you can do so by following these steps:
1) Edit your Gmail account.
2) Change the "Server type" to "IMAP" (all other settings will be automatically set).
3) Press the "Oauth2" button which will appear to the right of your login name and follow through with each step (it is also recommended to enable "IDLE/Push" by checking that box in the lower-right area when editing the account).

Other members of the Esumsoft Team may be providing additional additional feedback as well.

Also here is a link to a topic that includes assistance on what to post in the forum as far as information that is helpful to us in the event POP Peeper issues occur Information for new users and forum members.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Tinerfeño

Post by Tinerfeño »

Thanks lakrsrool, seems like everything's working out fine now, if I notice any more strange behaviour I'll return to the forum.
Kind regards
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for reporting back Tinerfeño.

Just curious -- what "Server type" were you using when the problem arose and did you make any changes and if so what did you change or did the problem end up getting resolved on its own?

If any problems arise in the future it is always helpful if you send us the error information you get. Here is a link that provides the procedure to do this: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Tinerfeño

Post by Tinerfeño »

Hi again.
Server type was IMAP.
I have two more gmail accounts with exactly same configuration, never problems. What I think is that Gmail wants to show us that they care about our security, just as pure marketing purposes.
Thanks once mor any way.
Francis17

Post by Francis17 »

For GMail accounts, setting PP to IMAP+OAuth2 is more secure than simple IMAP+UserName+PassWord. It means you can use Google's account settings to turn off "Allow unsecure apps", without having to create application-specific passwords. (That was a temporary feature where Ggl gave traditional apps a bridge from UsrNam+PasWrd to OAuth.) *Think* I've got that right...
Tinerfeño

Post by Tinerfeño »

Thanks Francis17, done !! :)