Problem with Yahoo.com with one email account

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gitty1

Re: Problem with Yahoo.com with one email account

Post by gitty1 »

Hi,
I updated to IE 11 and still getting the same screen for that Yahoo account, along with the yellow banner at the bottom saying that it works best with an up to date browser.
I reinstalled a fresh copy of pp over the initial install to see if that would reset anything - no luck there.

For the other yahoo account that I deleted the OAuth credentials for (to test) I'm getting a slightly different problem.

When I follow your link to the Yahoo security page, there is no option to enable less secure apps. There is an option to "Generate an app password" but I can't see an option in pp to play that game.
The firewall was disabled throughout.
Cheers,
Jon
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi, yet again.
Forget if for now - there is a problem with the IE update on this computer.
Will try and figure that out then update this post if/when I get time to figure it out.
Cheers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you done a computer reboot since your browser (IE11) update?

If not try a reboot to see if this helps... :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi laksrool,
Yes, I've done a few reboots, sfc, safe mode etc.
IE 11 won't install at all even though it seems to go through the process without a problem, and in fact I can't enable/re-enable in windows programs/features as that comes up with an error each time.
So until I fix that, which I think will take a repair installation or a sfc with the original DVD when I can dig that up, it comes under a computer error or user error until that is sorted out.
I found a problem in sfc with "iassdo.dll" and "iassdo.dll.mui", and for some reason every one of those files according to sfc is corrupted wherever it it on the drive.
Can't seem to find what that dll does though. I did manage to change permissions (which is a bit of a process in itself) etc and copy it over from another location on the drive, just in case, but that didn't change anything.

Cheers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

gitty1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 am Can't seem to find what that dll does though.
Hello again John,

While awaiting Jeff and lakrsrool to continue their follow-up with you, the link below provides a description of the file in question which may be useful: :)

https://www.exefiles.com/en/mui/iassdo-dll-mui/

Hope this helps.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

gitty1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 am .... So until I fix that, which I think will take a repair installation or a sfc with the original DVD when I can dig that up, it comes under a computer error or user error until that is sorted out.
I found a problem in sfc with "iassdo.dll" and "iassdo.dll.mui", and for some reason every one of those files according to sfc is corrupted wherever it it on the drive.
Can't seem to find what that dll does though. I did manage to change permissions (which is a bit of a process in itself) etc and copy it over from another location on the drive, just in case, but that didn't change anything....
Both are Windows OS files (as spc3rd has pointed out above) and not related to the IE browser.... When you ran the OS System File Checker ("sfc /scannow") were you provided a way to fix the two files at that time?

You might consider checking your PC device drivers to see if they need to be updated (it's possible these file errors can be related to corrupt or outdated device drivers). Also have you ran a full Malware scan and/or Virus scan of your computer?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi,
Yes, I run an antivirus and just checked with a couple of (updated) anti-malware scans also. I'm quite security conscious.
Seems that file might possibly be related to a language pack that I don't use so its unlikely to be causing this problem. SFC /scannow just came up with the error (in cbs.log) and said that it couldn't fix it.
That problem has been relegated. I really don't think that is the cause of the IE problem.

Firstly, is there a way to get PP to use another browser instead of IE for OAuth2 enabling?
That would be a way round to stop all the problems that aren't really problems as they don't come up in normal day to day running of the computer.
The only reason I'm looking at trying to fix IE is to get imap to work in a yahoo.com account (well, now 2 yahoo accounts, of which the original one is happy with Webmail and the other account is happy with pop3 finally).
Overall, both are working, I haven't got a beef with it. They don't hold any important data.

I realise that a few programs/Windows can use IE in a roundabout way, but most of the software I have is configured, where given the choice, to ignore IE and I rarely install new software which is probably more likely to yearn for IE.
It might just be that IE was feeling unloved on the system and decided to pack its bags and stick a couple of fingers up as it trudges down the road. :-({|=
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

"Firstly, is there a way to get PP to use another browser instead of IE for OAuth2 enabling?"
Sorry, no.

"and not related to the IE browser"
I'm not 100% sure about that. If you look at this description of the file:
https://windows10dll.nirsoft.net/iassdo_dll.html
At the very bottom is the strings the dll contains, and they all have to do with authentication and IPs and tcp and other "internet" related things.

"When I follow your link to the Yahoo security page, there is no option to enable less secure apps. There is an option to "Generate an app password" but I can't see an option in pp to play that game."
I'm not sure why that option wouldn't be there. However, keep in mind that you would only need to enable that option if you don't use Oauth2. If you "generate an app password" then you would use that password in POP Peeper (instead of your main password); however, that option is probably only available if you're using 2-step verification (and, ftr, when you are using 2-step verification, you will get an "invalid login/password" type of error if you try to use your main password).

I'm feeling guilty for sending you down the rabbit hole for the sake of curiosity. If you don't want to deal with this anymore I completely understand. Here's my overall recommendation for protocols:
1) IMAP with OAuth
2) IMAP without OAuth (requires you to enable "less secure apps" in your Yahoo account)
3) POP3 (requires you to enable POP3 in your Yahoo account)
4) WebMail

I'm still very willing to get to the bottom of why the OAuth dialog isn't available to you (I do suspect something on your computer is blocking it *), but if you just want to get things working again, that's fine, too.

* On that note -- you could perhaps try going into Windows with safe mode (with networking) and see if the OAuth2 process works with no other loaded programs.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

"When I follow your link to the Yahoo security page, there is no option to enable less secure apps. There is an option to "Generate an app password" but I can't see an option in pp to play that game."
I'm not sure why that option wouldn't be there. However, keep in mind that you would only need to enable that option if you don't use Oauth2. If you "generate an app password" then you would use that password in POP Peeper (instead of your main password); however, that option is probably only available if you're using 2-step verification (and, ftr, when you are using 2-step verification, you will get an "invalid login/password" type of error if you try to use your main password).

Yes, I realised eventually (with my phone pinging away everytime I tried something else in PP) on that account 2-step verification was enabled - that was why there wasn't the button to 'enable less secure apps'. That is done now but still no different with OAuth2.

Re-iassdo.dll. Good find. It might possibly be one of the causes then.

1) IMAP with OAuth
2) IMAP without OAuth (requires you to enable "less secure apps" in your Yahoo account)
3) POP3 (requires you to enable POP3 in your Yahoo account)
4) WebMail

Ok, both accounts now work with IMAP without OAuth. I worked my way up from Webmail.

I think it is possible that IE was locked down through a registry edit or some other ingenious forgotten way that was a good idea at the time. There is a process somewhere that isn't allowing IE to run properly which can only be down to me as there is no 'new' software on the system to bugger it up. I've tried it with all av/firewall etc programs disabled and there is no difference.There is no way it is going to work without starting from a new install (not happening till a new mobo goes in) or possibly a repair install (last resort in the case of an emergency).
Just to recap, if PP needs the IE window to close before it acknowledges that OAuth2 has been authorised then to do that I'll have to update IE which isn't happening as I get various errors in event log that are too vague to play with.
I think from here I'll have to live with it. It isn't a PP issue, or at least until other issues are addressed, the blame doesn't fall with PP, and more to the point, if I have IMAP as a minimum, then it can't all be bad - I'll just have to remember not to play with the other accounts.

Thanks, genuinely, for your help though - I'll have to leave it for now.
I'm curious as to what I've done, but until that is figured out, if it ain't broke then don't fix it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, just a heads-up: semi-regularly (I want to say every 3-6 months, but sometimes my perception of time is skewed, so don't trust that too much :) ), Yahoo will require the client to re-authenticate with OAuth2, which requires you to go through the process.

If, in the future, something does change and you figure something out (or eliminate some possibilities), I'll be interested to know about it.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
Yes, I'll definitely post back.
I was going to try it out for a gmail account and see if that has the same problem, but will save that for a rainy day.

Just a quick question.....
Does the OAuth permission lie in pp somewhere?
For instance, if I was to restore a backup made last month when OAuth was working without a problem, would pp be restored to using OAuth even though I have attempted to re-enable it several times (different credentials?)?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yesh. The actual credentials are very short-lived (a matter of hours) and then PP has to re-negotiate new credentials. Usually, that happens in the background. But every once in a while you'll have to manually re-authorize POP Peeper.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

OK,
Thanks Jeff.

Will update this thread when the time comes.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

gitty1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 pm Hi Jeff,
Yes, I'll definitely post back.
I was going to try it out for a gmail account and see if that has the same problem, but will save that for a rainy day.
Hi again,
Yes, Gmail definitely is fine with OAuth and deleting/renewing the credentials. It is just a problem with my accounts on yahoo.com but at least they are working.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just performed a test by having IE emulate IE7 and I do get the "update your browser" message at the bottom of my Oauth2 screens, but the process still worked in the end. However, *emulating* IE7 while using IE11 probably isn't as accurate as actually using IE7*. But do you know what version of IE you have? I'm just curious, I'm a little more skeptical that that is the actual problem.

* - The internet states that Win7 comes with IE8 by default.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
Apologies for the delay.

Yes, it is IE8 that is installed.

It is fine for Gmail as I have reset the credentials a few times, but it never works for Yahoo.com
Cheers,
gitty1

[SOLVED] Re: Problem with Yahoo.com with one email account

Post by gitty1 »

Well, while I'm here - best let you know.
Yes, it was my installation causing the problem.
As soon as I tried it in pp on another system Yahoo and OAuth worked seemlessly with pp.
Sorry for the waste of time but such is life....
THANKYOU