Chinese characters

Posts regarding Translations for POP Peeper
Matthew Wai

Chinese characters

Post by Matthew Wai »

http://www.esumsoft.com/customfiles/PP_Lang/Chinese.plf

I am now using Windows 10 in VirtualBox.
PPLC_v50 shows the Chinese characters in Chinese.plf as junk characters.
Notepad does the same, while Notepad++ displays them properly.
Do other Chinese users have the same problem?

BTW, I advise you to contact me by sending me a private message via Esumsoft Forums instead of sending an email to my old address because I cannot update your address book, to which I have no access.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Chinese characters

Post by Jeff »

You need to change the Windows setting for non-unicode programs to the language you want to use:
Windows Control Panel / Clock and Region / Change date, time, or number formats / Administrative tab / Change system locale
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Could you post the direct download link to English.plf?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, there isn't an English.plf file. All English text is compiled into the program. The PPLC utility just provides a method to override the English text.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

1755 IMAP: copy to Sent folder

Where is the "Sent" folder? I cannot find it below.

No Sent folder.jpg
No Sent folder.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 19796 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1533 IDLE/Push
A previous user translated "IDLE" according to definition #2 at https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... e_1?q=idle
I suspect "IDLE" is an abbreviation. Am I right or wrong?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Matthew Wai wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am 1755 IMAP: copy to Sent folder

Where is the "Sent" folder? I cannot find it below.

No Sent folder.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------
From PP main menu: "View">"Mailbox">"Sent"(F11).
Matthew Wai wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am 1533 IDLE/Push
A previous user translated "IDLE" according to definition #2 at https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... e_1?q=idle
I suspect "IDLE" is an abbreviation. Am I right or wrong?
The term "IDLE" relevant to email is a "function of IMAP" (otherwise known as IMAP push) defined as (Wikipedia quote): "an IMAP feature described in RFC 2177 that allows a client to indicate to the server that it is ready to accept real-time notifications". Basically, the email client will poll the server for new messages that will be actively transferred (pushed) to the client in real-time.

Addendum: Doing a search for a better explanation regarding this in the forum by Jeff, I found where he provided clarification on "what the 'idle/push' option does" in the last post in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6860&p=34585&hilit=idle#p34585 posted over 2 years ago. :wink:
Last edited by mjs on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit for addendum to add a linked topic post on subject
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To clarify -- the "sent" folder that POP Peeper is referring to in this case is not the local folder accessible via F11/SMV; it's copying the message to the "Sent" folder on the SERVER.

I've changed the English text to make this more apparent. The new text is:
IMAP: copy to server's Sent folder

This affects DIALOGS:

(there will be more space available for these fields, too).
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

I don't know whether that is deliberate. I found that some English text in the dialog box cannot be translated as shown below:
Omission.jpg
Jeff wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:15 pm Sorry, there isn't an English.plf file. All English text is compiled into the program. The PPLC utility just provides a method to override the English text.
In Chinese.plf, on Notepad++, there is "1430 HTTP 身份验证(如果有须要的话)".
On PPPLC, how can I jump to 1430 without checking all the lines one by one? I want to read the English original.
Jeff wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:24 pmcopying the message to the "Sent" folder on the SERVER.
Am I right in thinking that the following "disk" refers to the local storage device?
Click on "Option"-->"Send Mail": "Save sent messages to disk ('Sent' folder)"
Jeff wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:24 pm(there will be more space available for these fields, too).
My Chinese translation takes even more space.
IMAP: 复制到服务器上的「寄件备份」文件夹
lakrsrool wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 amAddendum: Doing a search for a better explanation regarding this in the forum by Jeff, I found where he provided clarification on "what the 'idle/push' option does" in the last post in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6860&p=34585&hilit=idle#p34585 posted over 2 years ago. :wink:
There is no space available for clarification. I can only add two Chinese characters meaning "Push" after the term "IDLE", of which there is no Chinese equivalent in the sense of "IMAP IDLE".
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I found that some English text in the dialog box cannot be translated as shown below:
The "drag&drop" text on that dialog was accidental, it will be available in a PPLC update soon.
On PPPLC, how can I jump to 1430 without checking all the lines one by one? I want to read the English original.
That's part of a dialog. Dialogs have 2 numbers, one which IDs the dialog, another which IDs the control in that dialog. It's possible that 2 dialogs will have the same ID. If you're looking at the PLF file (I'm not a translator so I can't say what "normal" is, but let's say it's not "intended"), the *dialog* ID is the preceding number in brackets, e.g. [205], and there will be 0 or more lines under that for each control, where the first number on the line indicates the *control* ID. So in the above example, you'd need to select "205" from the dropdown list next to "dialog controls" and then you'll see the control ID for 1430 in the list (btw, I think this may be one where 1430 exists for another dialog).

btw, because there are different sections and sometimes multiple numbers that identify a line of text, it's helpful to include this information when you're referencing specific IDs (e.g. dialog/misc/menu; and if it's a dialog, we need to know the dialog ID).
Am I right in thinking that the following "disk" refers to the local storage device?
Yes; I suppose "disk" is rather antiquated. I've replaced "disk" with "local storage". (these 2 fields will have more space available)

My Chinese translation takes even more space.
I've added more space for these, so it should be fine.

There is no space available for clarification. I can only add two Chinese characters meaning "Push" after the term "IDLE", of which there is no Chinese equivalent in the sense of "IMAP IDLE".
That control wasn't lined up with the controls above it, so I was able to squeeze out a few more pixels, but I doubt that will help much? Do you have a term for the concept of "push notifications"? That's basically what it's implying. More people will probably understand the concept of "push" rather than the technical term "idle" so if you can't include "idle", then just the translation for "push" should be fine.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Missing quotes
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Misc Text: ID 10230 Do you want to toggle delete when clicking in this column?

Could you explain the meaning of "toggle delete"?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If *not* already marked for delete: Marks the message for delete
If *already* marked for delete: removes the delete marker

This prompt appears when you click in the '!' column of the message list (for a particular message). If you click there and nothing happens, that means you've previously told PP that you don't want to toggle delete when you click in that column.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

In Menu Text, ID 1522, "Hide seen messages" was previously translated as "Hide sent messages".
I don't think "seen" is a typo because there is another "Hide Seen" in Misc Text ID 97.
Am I right or wrong?

Misc Text, ID 108 "Process Att." . Does "Att." stand for "attachment"?
Misc Text, ID 180 "Checking idle status". Does "idle" refer to "IMAP IDLE"?

I have translated all English text, but the following "Update" and "Rule Wizard" dialog boxes are still in English. Have I missed something?

Dialog in English.jpg

Rule Wizard.jpg

The following English buttons cannot be translated. Is that deliberate or accidental?

English buttons.jpg
Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:45 pmThe "drag&drop" text on that dialog was accidental, it will be available in a PPLC update soon.
Should I wait for the updated version? I am still using PPLC_v50.
Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:45 pmDo you have a term for the concept of "push notifications"?
Yes, the Chinese term (not my translation) already exists online.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

The English text below cannot be translated.

Customize Toolbar.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Matthew Wai wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 am In Menu Text, ID 1522, "Hide seen messages" was previously translated as "Hide sent messages".
I don't think "seen" is a typo because there is another "Hide Seen" in Misc Text ID 97.
Am I right or wrong?
It is "seen" and not "sent" (ie. it will hide messages that you have already seen).
Matthew Wai wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 am Misc Text, ID 108 "Process Att." . Does "Att." stand for "attachment"?
Misc Text, ID 180 "Checking idle status". Does "idle" refer to "IMAP IDLE"?
Correct for both.

I had to remind myself what the purpose of 180 was -- this message may appear in the status bar. As I recall, sometimes POP Peeper would display an irrelevant message (or maybe wouldn't change the status at all) and this status was added to convey more useful information.
Matthew Wai wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 am I have translated all English text, but the following "Update" and "Rule Wizard" dialog boxes are still in English. Have I missed something?
The "Update" window was missed and will be fixed in the next PP update.

"Rule Wizard" is actually a part of AntiJunk, which isn't translated.
I have been considering making more plugins available for translation (AntiJunk and PPtweaker are at the top of that list) -- is that something that you would be willing to do?
btw, I want to make clear that it's OK to say "no" -- it would be a lot more work for myself and the translators, so it's only something I want to consider adding if there is genuine interest by the translators.

Matthew Wai wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 am The following English buttons cannot be translated. Is that deliberate or accidental?
(Junk, Legit, Rule Wizard)
"Rule Wizard" was added into the next PPLC (ironic considering what it will open is English...)
"Junk" and "Legit" -- these have been asked about so many times I've forgotten what my original reason is... I've added them (it will use existing translations for "Junk" and "Legit" so it's a PP update and not a PPLC update)

Matthew Wai wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:41 am The English text below cannot be translated.
(Customize toolbar)
The "Customize toolbar" window is provided by the system, so it should use the language specified by the OS. This would be similar to how the standard "Open/save file" window would display in the language native to the OS and not dictated by POP Peeper settings.

Matthew Wai wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 am Should I wait for the updated version? I am still using PPLC_v50.
Let me get back to you on that, momentarily. I have a new process for this and it's now been tested by a couple of people and good to go. I just need to review the information I had written and I'll reply back when it's available.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

How to get the update:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7293
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Jeff wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:55 pmit will use existing translations for "Junk" and "Legit"
For the "Junk" button, please use 垃圾 (= junk) rather than 垃圾邮件 (= junk mail) because the latter takes more space.

SendMail, Dialog Controls, 1103. How can I bring up the actual "Mapping" dialog box, "Address Book Field", and "CSV Field" on POP Peeper? I don't know what "Mapping" actually does.

When the updated PPLC is available, please specify where I can find the new text to be translated.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Matthew Wai wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 am For the "Junk" button, please use 垃圾 (= junk) rather than 垃圾邮件 (= junk mail) because the latter takes more space.
It uses:
POP Peeper / Misc Text / 154 (and 162 for "Legit")

The English text for this is simply "Junk".

Matthew Wai wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 am SendMail, Dialog Controls, 1103.
Open the Address book and go through the "File / Import" process. (If you first File/Export, then you can use File/Import on the file you saved during export).

When the updated PPLC is available, please specify where I can find the new text to be translated.
Using the validation tool is the best way. But there's a list of English text that has changed posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10&p=36958#p36958

Also, another translator mentioned that they use a diff tool to find items where the English text has changed; this method will undoubtedly catch more items than I record, because my method of announcing English changes relies on me making a note when I change them (which certainly does not happen 100% of the time). So I'm formulating a way to do this automatically, which would not only be more accurate, but also easier for both sides.

If you have any suggestions to make PPLC better, let me know.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

I updated everything and then clicked on "Tools"-->"Run PPLC", which opened v5.0.0.2, on which I clicked on "File"-->"Open" and selected "Chinese.plf", but nothing could be opened.
The updated Chinese.plf is available here. All in PPLC_v50 has been translated.

Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pmThe English text for this is simply "Junk".
I didn't know the text is for a taskbar button and translated it as "junk mail". I have changed the translation.
Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:02 pmUsing the validation tool is the best way.
The tool in PPLC_v50 does not work at my end.

Encountered an improper argument.jpg
Encountered an improper argument.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 19555 times
Validation.jpg
Jeff wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:55 pmit will hide messages that you have already seen
I am being pedantic. You could have missed rather than seen a message already shown.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

5002 was buggy -- sorry! I've released 5003 which fixes that.

To update: In PP, go to Help / About; press "check version" and then "download"
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Could you post the direct download link to 5003?