OAuth2 No Longer Working in my Pop Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
robert2323

OAuth2 No Longer Working in my Pop Peeper

Post by robert2323 »

I am no longer able to use OAuth2 with Pop Peeper. Whenever I click the OAuth2 button to authorize an email account, I get the following screen after entering into a form the email address and password for the account:

CouldntSignIn.JPG

One oddity I've noticed is that although I use Chrome exclusively, this window you are seeing is coming from Internet Explorer. When I right-click within the window, the context menu clearly identifies it as an Internet Explorer window. So one question I have is, why is Pop Peeper launching an Internet Explorer window instead of a Chrome window?

I've never before had any problems using OAuth2 with Pop Peeper. Each of my Pop Peeper gmail accounts have been created the same way. Here is an example:

PopPeeperDialog.JPG

Again, this all used to work fine.

Thanks.
mjs

Re: OAuth2 No Longer Working in my Pop Peeper

Post by mjs »

Thanks robert2323, for reporting this Gmail OAuth2 problem and we on the Esumsoft Support Team welcome you to the forum.

This problem with OAuth2 for Gmail accounts is a totally new problem in regards to an issue that has just recently been observed in some cases when attempting to authorize POP Peeper (PP) with GMail (using OAuth2 in PP for Gmail).

You are I think the first to actually report this issue in the forum.

Rest assured, this Gmail account OAuth2 issue is currently being looked into by Jeff and will be addressed as soon as possible.

In regards to the observation you made about Internet Explorer (IE). This involves IE emulation that is required by PP to for the most part display HTML messages and as of v4.1 PP was upgraded to emulate whatever version of IE you have.

Please be patient as Jeff will follow-up in this topic with perhaps more details on the problem as well as disclose any further developments addressing this current issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
robert2323

Post by robert2323 »

Thanks. I'll keep watching this forum for updates to the problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

We have a potential solution to this problem and the plan is to first confirm the solution and make sure that it doesn't negatively impact non-affected gmail accounts or other email services that support OAuth2 (ie. Outlook and Yahoo); this will be done in v5 beta (v.2009). I then plan on providing a test version for v4 that fixes the problem; and, assuming there are no problems, release the v4 update.

As for a timeline, I'd like to have the v4 test available tomorrow, and the release after several days of testing. All contingent on the success of the previous step, of course. I'll be sure to update this post when the v4 test version is available.

If anyone else has this problem, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know, and also if you're using the test version (when available). This will allow me to gauge how widespread the problem is (currently, none of my accounts are affected). Use whatever forms of communication you prefer: email, reply here, PM me, facebook, etc.

I'd also like to thank lakrsrool for helping out with this issue. He had a handful of accounts have this problem a few days ago and we discovered the solution last night and I couldn't have done it without his help! =D>
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The fix is now available:
Download v4.5.3

Please try it out and confirm if this works for you.
robert2323

Post by robert2323 »

I just tried the fix. It worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

If I find any anomalies over the next few days, I'll be sure to let you know. However, as I've already said, it looks really good.

Great tech support.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear it worked; and thanks for confirming.
Roman

Post by Roman »

I am using Pop peeper for many years. I am working with 453 now. When I changed my gmail password yesterday and tried use oauth2 I only got a blanc screen. Please help.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Roman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 am I am using Pop peeper for many years. I am working with 453 now. When I changed my gmail password yesterday and tried use oauth2 I only got a blanc screen. Please help.
Welcome to the forum Roman,
We could use a little more information so with that in mind please provide answers to the following questions:

1.) Are you able to login to Gmail on the web (Internet) without any problems using your new password?
2.) What computer Operating System are you using (i.e. WinXP, Win7, Win10 etc)?
3.) To confirm by saying your "working with 453 now" you mean you are using POP Peeper v4.5.3 right?
4.) Please do the following steps from the main PP menu: Step 4.A) Click on "File" Step 4.B) Click on "Error overview...." then in the empty "Error overview" Window you get: Step 4.C) Click on the "Copy" button. You will get a "Pop Peeper log" message click on the "OK" button. Then when you post your next reply please right-click in your next reply in this topic and select "Paste" to paste the Pop Peeper log" information into your next reply along with the answers to other questions.
5.) Has the Oauth2 worked recently in the past?
6.) Have you made any recent Security setting changes to your computer?
7.) What AV program (Anti-Virus) are you currently using and when was it installed or last updated?
8.) And lastly -- if you are getting any errors in POP Peeper please do the following the steps included in this sticky topic: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post that will give us additional error data that can be helpful.

The answers to these questions will help us in possibly determining what your issue might be with Gmail Oauth2 -- so thanks :wink:

And I would add finally; as you are a new member to the forum we would also ask that new members please take a look at the following information for new users and forum members which provides very important additional information that can be very helpful to you in regards to issues you may have with PP.

Other members of the Esumsoft Team may be posting additional feedback in regards to your Gmail Oauth2 issue as well. Thanks again for taking the time to get back to us with answers to the above questions. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Roman

Post by Roman »

thanks for your reply
the answers to your questions:
1 yes I can login to my gmail account
2 windows 10 64 1909 18363.592
3 yes for some time and in the past changed password without any problem with oauth
4 --- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.3.0
Webmail: 4.5.15.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0

--- Error ---
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [consec: 1]
- Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)

5 yes never had any problems
6 no
7 Bitdefender IS it was update last month or so

8--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.3.0
Webmail: 4.5.15.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [consec: 1]

Hope you have an answer to my problem. Thank you in advance
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi Roman,

Thanks for taking the time to provide all of that information. Image ... and sorry for the delay as I've been out.

I'm unable to find any reason why you would have an issue where the first OAuth2 step would render a blank page as you have described. Changing the password on an account should not have any impact on the OAuth2 PP authentication process. To confirm you are saying that you do not get this first OAuth2 PP authorization page as illustrated here:
OAuth2 request.png
Is that correct -- you just get a blank page (instead of what you see in the screen-shot above)?

The only thing I see is that it appears you do not have the "Send option" setting set to "SMTP" in the "Send Mail" window (when editing the account) but as far as I'm aware this would not have any impact of any kind on the OAth2 process anyway.

While changing the password should not produce the issue you describe -- I've gone ahead and tested a Gmail account by changing the password and re-authorized the account (even switched back-and-forth between protocols) and I am unable to duplicate the problem. That said, I am using a beta version of PP so I can't say how meaningful my test results actually are.

I'm not sure this will be of any help (grasping at straws #-o) -- but perhaps it's worth a try rebooting your computer to see if this solves the OAuth2 issue you describe (perhaps clearing some software glitch of some sort :?).

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help :( -- we'll have to be patient as other members of the Esumsoft Team should be able to eventually provide more help for you.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Roman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:54 pm 7 Bitdefender IS it was update last month or so
I was thinking about another similar situation in regards to OAuth2 in Gmail that was recently discussed where an AV program was causing the issue.

Found it here with this topic post: Re: Gmail OAuth issue where disabling the AV program solved the problem.

Perhaps you can try disabling Bitdefender (perhaps starting with the "SSL Scan" shield in the Bitdefender's Web Protection module) and test the Gmail Oauth2 to see if this makes a difference and if so add POP Peeper to an exception list hopefully.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hi lakrsrool,

thanks for you reply,

I indeed have a blank page and not the google page.
The send option has always been off so that is not the problem.

I turned off several features in Bitdefender but no change.

I installed Postbox 7 and Oauth2 had no problem.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Have you tried a reboot of your computer yet?

Did you try disabling the shields in the Bitdefender's "Web Protection module" (as referenced in my link previously posted concerning "disabling Bitdefender")?

Beyond this I'm not sure why exactly you are getting a blank window when attempting to do a Gmail OAuth2 verification specific to POP Peeper. :? Hopefully at some point there will be other members of the Esumsoft Team that can provide additional feedback (we're in the midst of a 3-day holiday unfortunately so it may be longer than usual -- but don't despair we'll eventually get to the bottom of your problem :wink:)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Yes to both questions.
regards
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Interestingly -- I woke up this morning to the same exact error with the Gmail account (I previously used to test the problem) you were getting Roman as illustrated below:

Your error (you previously posted):
Roman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:54 pm --- Error ---

My error this morning (~time of posting):
--- Error ---
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [consec: 27]
- Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)
-- Edit account: pp://EditAccount?bWlrZXNpbmJveHh4IEc=
... As you can see the bolded/black text in both cases are identical (as I was attempting to duplicate your error that didn't start occurring until about 5½ hours ago).

Notice my "consec: 27" which, as I mentioned, means the error started and remained persistent about 5½ hours ago (since I have PP set to do scheduled Mail Checks every 12 minutes [~324=~5½ hours]). That last bit in blue has been added in PPv5 thus is displayed in my beta version of PP (so you wouldn't get this with your current version of PP) -- it is the parts of the error in bold/black that are identical.

This is the Gmail account that I had used to test your issue. And what I've found this morning is that I was still able to re-authorize POP Peeper successfully which ultimately cleared the error in my case. I did notice that the first step rendered a blank page for about 3 seconds before getting the first step to login to Gmail to display (it seems in your case the PP Authentication hangs prior to the first login step). You should be able get past the two login steps (ID/Password) to this next step (as I do in the screen-shot below) to get Gmail to "Allow" POP Peeper access (why you don't remains a mystery :?):
OAuth2 PP Authentication w-Gmail.png
... hmm, makes me wonder if my PP beta version could be a factor....
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I tested in v4.5.3 by resetting OAuth2 and I was still able to proceed with OAuth2.

So I have 2 thoughts:

1) Your antivirus is blocking it as previously mentioned. I'm not certain that simply disabling certain features is sufficient, as most AV programs tend to embed themselves deep into the system; so if my next idea doesn't apply, you may want to try rebooting Windows into safe-mode so that your AV isn't running, then try to do the OAuth procedure. If it works, you should be able to reboot Windows normally and PP should still work.

2) Have you disabled or uninstalled the Internet Explorer component? If you type "Windows features" into the Windows start menu, open the "turn windows features on or off" option; then find "Internet Explorer 11" in the list and make sure that it's enabled. If it's not, you'll need to enable it and this may require you to restart your computer.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Still no succes. I reinstalled Internet Explorer and started Windows in Safe mode. No change still a blank screen for my gmail aacount.
I tested other providers and Yahoo works with no problem. Outlook gave me another strange error:
Microsoft account requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.
To find out whether your browser supports JavaScript, or to allow scripts, see the browser's online help.

Web browser?? Javascript!
All together very strange
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Roman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 pm I reinstalled Internet Explorer
Just for my own knowledge -- does this mean that it wasn't installed before? Did you intentionally uninstall it or was it like that by default?
Roman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 pm I tested other providers and Yahoo works with no problem.
Do you mean that performing the OAuth consent procedure for Yahoo works in POP Peeper? Or just that your Yahoo mail works? (I assume you mean the OAuth consent, but just want to avoid ambiguity in case you mean something else)
Roman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 pm Microsoft account requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.
Ok, that does seem helpful and hopefully it's related to why gmail is a problem. Since POP Peeper uses an IE-based control, it uses the same settings that IE uses; so if you type the following into start menu and open the same worded result:
internet options
The options provided here should provide the relevant javascript options and probably any other options that may be affecting this. There are a few ways to go, but I would probably go with the most straight-forward (reset all IE settings) because who knows what other settings may have been changed and it's even possible that options that lower security have been enabled. Note that you may want to look at the setting in #3, just to see if it's already set to enabled or not. If javascript is already enabled, then it might mean that a 3rd party program is affecting things (although, I wouldn't expect that to be the case since you didn't have any luck with safe mode).

1) Reset IE settings:
a) Click the 'Advanced' tab
b) Press the "Reset" button at the bottom (not the "restore advanced" which won't be sufficient to reset javascript)
c) You can test PP at this point, but it doesn't seem to have an effect, you may need to exit/restart POP Peeper or even Windows

note: as an after-thought: if you do reset this, you may want to go back to the 'Advanced' tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and make sure that the following are enabled/disabled:
Use SSL 3.0: DISabled
Use TLS 1.0: enabled (you could probably set this to disabled; I believe that tls1.0 is officially obsolete or near that stage; but I'd probably leave it enabled for now to get this working; mine is enabled)
Use TLS 1.1: enabled
Use TLS 1.2: enabled
Use TLS 1.3: your choice; mine is disabled; I don't think any websites are at the point where they require tls v1.3

2) Reset the "security" zones
a) Click the 'Security' tab
b) Press the "Reset all zones to default level"
c) You can test PP at this point, but it doesn't seem to have an effect, you may need to exit/restart POP Peeper or even Windows

3) Manually change settings
a) The javascript settings are in the Security page; press the "Custom level" button
b) The option for javascript, specifically, is near the bottom in the "scripting" section, labelled "active scripting" (it should be set to enabled)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Problem solved activating scripting in Internet settings and problems are solved.

Thanks for the help