Empty mail in Pop Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
phoenikx

Empty mail in Pop Peeper

Post by phoenikx »

I can see the list of retrieved emails, but the body is empty. With the latest update of webmail all the sudden the body's of the emails appeared, but after restart of the machine the same issue. Tried to reinstall webmail again, and yes, the body's appeared again. I tried checking if it was firewall related, but disabling the firewall does not help. I tried to reinstall Pop Peeper, but that did not help either.
Any ideas where my problem hides?
spc3rd

Re: Empty mail in Pop Peeper

Post by spc3rd »

Hello phoenikx and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums,

To better assist you, please include the following information in your next reply:

1. Which version of POP Peeper are you using?

2. Which Webmail accounts are you having a problem with?
(E.g., Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc).

3. What operating system are you using?

4. Are you receiving any error messages in POP Peeper?

(Look for the yellow icon with an "!" exclamation mark in it on the lower right corner of the PP main interface).
If the icon is present, please follow the instructions in the following Sticky to include the complete text of the error message in your next reply.
[NOTE]: Please pay particular attention to the cautionary info given about not including personally-identifiable information in your reply:

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post

Also, as you are our newest member, The Esumsoft Team requests that you please review the following Sticky topic:Information for new users and forum members.

The article contains important information which all new members should be aware of. If you should have any questions or comments, do let us know.

Other members of the Esumsoft Team may be dropping by to further review your topic and provide additional feedback for you.

Thank you & welcome aboard! :)
Global Moderator
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

Thank you, spc3rd, for your swift reply and welcoming.
I am a long time user of Pop Peeper,I guess since the beginning. This is the first problem I can not seem to cure myself.
I did search the Faq's, I searched the forum and Internet but could not find an answer.

1. Which version of POP Peeper are you using?

2. Which Webmail accounts are you having a problem with?
(E.g., Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc).
All accounts (gmail, outlook, yahoo)

3. What operating system are you using?
Windows 10

And no, no error reporting of Pop Peeper.

I have had this problem for a couple of months but choose to ignore it after I unsuccessfully tried to cure it. When I saw that it worked with the update of webmail it triggered me further to find a solution.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi phoenikx,

To help provide us with possibly a little more information -- would you please take the following steps:
1) From the menu in the PP main interface click on "File" > "Error overview..."
2) When you get the empty Error Overview window please click on the "Copy Log" button (empty because you are not getting any errors).
3) Click the "OK" button on the next dialog box and close the Error Overview window.
4) Please paste (right-click select paste) into your next post in this topic the information you get doing this (a paste will paste from your clipboard the information that was copied doing step 2).

This helps to give us more information in cases when PP is not producing errors.

Thanks for your assistance :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi again phoenikx,

There's something else you can do that could provide even more help in determining what the problem might be by doing the following:
1) From the main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" and select "Storage" in the left pane of the "Options" window.
2) Post what you see in the two "Ini location:" & "Data path:" boxes at the top portion of the "Storage" Interface.
Note: you can select and copy (right-click copy) this information to paste (right-click paste) into your post in this topic.

You will hopefully see in the two "Ini location: & "Data path:" boxes something similar to the following (which is the way it should appear):
"C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini" & "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper", respectively (which is what I have for example).

There may be more steps we will have you take depending upon what information you have in the two boxes. :wink:

Thanks again.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

The error overview window is empty. As I said no errors are reported by Pop Peeper.

ini location: C:\Users\Phoenikx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
data path: C:\Users\Phoenikx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper

Many thanks for your help.
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

I don't know how, but if I reinstall webmail the problem is solved until I restart the computer.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi phoenikx,

Can you please clarify what you mean when you say you "reinstalled webmail"?

I.e., Do you mean that you are re-installing the Webmail plugin in POP Peeper, or you are deleting and re-creating the Webmail email account in POP Peeper?

Also, if you follow the instructions lakrsrool provided in his first reply about providing the error overview information, you should have information which will look like the following when you paste it here in your reply.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.0.2009
Webmail: 4.5.11.0
SSL: 1.1.1.2
IMAP: 5.0.0.2009
RSS: 5.0.0.2008
SendMail: 5.0.0.2009
Notification Voice: 5.0.0.2008
Profile Picture: 5.0.0.2009
AntiJunk: 5.0.0.2009
Spell Checker: 5.0.0.2009
Web of Trust: 5.0.0.2009
PPTweaker: 5.0.0.2009
Sent Mail Viewer: 5.0.0.2008
PPbackup: 5.0.0.2008
PPextras: 5.0.0.2008

--- Error ---
(none)

Please be aware that POP Peeper does not have to be indicating there is an error message in order for the info above to be copied to your clipboard.

In addition, when the Error Overview window opens, you will not actually see the information shown above displayed, but it will be copied to the clipboard when you click the [COPY] button and then paste it into your reply here.

Thank you for getting back with us and providing the requested information!
Global Moderator
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

I am sorry for the confusion, I ment the webmail plugin in Pop Peeper.
And again, the error overview information under File - Errors is as empty as my wallet. It is blank. Nothing.
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

But wait, I just pressed copy and this is what I got when I pasted it:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.2.0
SSL: 1.0.2.14
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0

--- Error ---
(none)
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

You got it! That's the info we were looking for!

Lakrsrool should be getting back with you for additional follow-up on the problem you're having. At this point, I'll take a little break here so I can look into your issue further on my end.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

phoenikx wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:28 pm But wait, I just pressed copy and this is what I got when I pasted it:

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
(none)
OK - thanks for the information. It all looks good to me. :wink:

So lets take a look at something else: Go "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" from the main menu again like you did before.
Look just below the two "Ini location:" & "Data path:" boxes where you got the information I was asking for before and make sure that the "Storage:" drop-down value is set to either "Headers" or "Entire Message" ("Entire Message" is recommended). If it was set to "None" then see if changing the "Storage:" drop-down value to "Entire Message" helps solve your problem.

If the "Storage:" drop-down value was already set to "Entire Message" (the recommended setting) then it's possible that the problem you're having is because you're using a write-protected folder that PP cannot save data to.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If the "Storage:" drop-down value was not the problem then you could try checking to see if your poppeeper.ini file may be write-protected (not sure in your case this would be the problem but I guess it's worth looking into):
1) Using the Windows 10 File Explorer; go to where the poppeeper.ini file resides based on your "ini location: C:\Users\Phoenikx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini" path you previously looked up.
2) Right-click on the poppeeper.ini file and select "Properties".
3) If the file has "Read-only" checked then uncheck "Read-only".
4) Press OK.

If your poppeeper.ini file had been write-protected (that is "Read-only") then changing this as explained above will have likely fixed your problem. :wink:

If this is not the case, it is possible that some Security Software that you may have added or changed settings on may be blocking changes. Have you added or changed any settings since this started? You might take a look into this if the the above is not the case and the problem persists.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The storage setting that lakrsrool mentioned 2 posts up was my first thought, too. But even in that case, POP Peeper should still retrieve the entire message or provide a banner to do so. If it's still not resolved, could you include a screenshot that depicts what you're seeing (be sure to blackout any sensitive information like email addresses and the subject).
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

lakrsrool wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 pm
phoenikx wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:28 pm But wait, I just pressed copy and this is what I got when I pasted it:

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
(none)
OK - thanks for the information. It all looks good to me. :wink:

So lets take a look at something else: Go "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" from the main menu again like you did before.
Look just below the two "Ini location:" & "Data path:" boxes where you got the information I was asking for before and make sure that the "Storage:" drop-down value is set to either "Headers" or "Entire Message" ("Entire Message" is recommended). If it was set to "None" then see if changing the "Storage:" drop-down value to "Entire Message" helps solve your problem.

If the "Storage:" drop-down value was already set to "Entire Message" (the recommended setting) then it's possible that the problem you're having is because you're using a write-protected folder that PP cannot save data to.
Sorry for not replying. I had some serious issues that got the better of me.
The setting was already on "Entire Message". The location for the ini is C:\Users\Phoenikx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini,
and the location for the data is C:\Users\Phoenikx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper.

The funny thing is that if I reinstall Webmail, Poppeeper works as it should, until I restart and then the problem is back.

p.s. The ini file is not read only.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What type(s) of accounts are affected? Edit the account and list the "server types" that you find.

Is the webmail.dll file different when you re-install it? e.g. if you look at the file stamp before and after, are they different?

Also, per my previous email, a screenshot would help so that we can have a better understanding of what you're seeing.
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

I have gmail, yahoo and outlook accounts and they are all effected.
I have inserted two screenshots, the empty one is after Windows restart. The other one is after reinstall webmail.
Attachments
Install webmail.PNG
Knipsel.PNG
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One thing that seems odd to me is the word "sluiten" (English: close or exit) at the bottom of your empty message. This could suggest a corrupt file.

1) What version of the Dutch translation are you using (so that I can see if there's a possible explanation depending on an older version, and maybe we can eliminate this as a red flag) -- main menu: Tools / Options / General, for the language, select "download" and that will tell you the current version; the latest for Dutch is v4.4, so if you don't have that, download it and see if that fixes that particular issue (and let me know)

2) What method are you using to re-install the webmail plugin?

3) Does the webmail plugin version change before and after? Use Help / About to determine this (check it before you update, and then after)

4) If you simply exit/restart POP Peeper, does that fix the problem (if the problem was occurring) or break it (if it was working ok)?

5) Have you tried re-installing POP Peeper? I would recommend re-downloading POP Peeper (don't use an existing download file in case it's corrupt) and installing it again.
phoenikx

Post by phoenikx »

1) What version of the Dutch translation are you using (so that I can see if there's a possible explanation depending on an older version, and maybe we can eliminate this as a red flag) -- main menu: Tools / Options / General, for the language, select "download" and that will tell you the current version; the latest for Dutch is v4.4, so if you don't have that, download it and see if that fixes that particular issue (and let me know)
The installed version is/was 4.4.

2) What method are you using to re-install the webmail plugin?
I just downloaded the file and start it manually.

3) Does the webmail plugin version change before and after? Use Help / About to determine this (check it before you update, and then after)
Nope, the webmail version does not change after reinstall.

4) If you simply exit/restart POP Peeper, does that fix the problem (if the problem was occurring) or break it (if it was working ok)?
When I restart just Pop Peeper I get empty messages, both when it was working and when it was not.

5) Have you tried re-installing POP Peeper? I would recommend re-downloading POP Peeper (don't use an existing download file in case it's corrupt) and installing it again.
I have tried re-installing back when I first noticed the problem. I am a bit reluctant to do that again, because there are eight accounts to set up. This problem is on both my laptop and my main pc. I have switched firewalls and turned them off, but that didn't help either.

btw. I'm very grateful for your efforts to help.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You posted just above:
phoenikx wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 am 4) If you simply exit/restart POP Peeper, does that fix the problem (if the problem was occurring) or break it (if it was working ok)?
When I restart just Pop Peeper I get empty messages, both when it was working and when it was not.
However previous to this you posted (on Sept 7 2019):
phoenikx wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:28 pm The funny thing is that if I reinstall Webmail, Poppeeper works as it should, until I restart and then the problem is back.
It sounds like you said directly above after installing the Webmail plugin it "works" until you do a "restart" which then at that point it breaks ("the problem is back") based on your earlier post -- Can you shed additional light as to what it is you meant by this earlier 12:28 pm post on Sept 7 2019 as contrasted to what you have just posted today? Or have things changed since then and you're getting something different now?