How find /Inbox folder, V4.5.3 in W10, & reinstall?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
akm

How find /Inbox folder, V4.5.3 in W10, & reinstall?

Post by akm »

Cant find /Inbox at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\, V5 in W10.
Where to look ?
Last edited by akm on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks again for your help !
akm (PPv4.5.3,W10,FFox,Office2003,Mbam,Privatefirewall,Avast)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: How find /Inbox folder, V5 in W10?

Post by Jeff »

Inbox messages are stored in the data.db file. I can provide more info if you tell me what you're trying to do...
akm

Re: How find /Inbox folder, V5 in W10, for reinstall ?

Post by akm »

Jeff
Thank for the reply!

This goes a little bit beyond the original question (thus changed the subject a bit), but we are trying to reinstall PP after a problem with V5 (which we just upgraded to) when it re-downloaded one of the email accounts (lets call it 'subject-account') emails and then there were all duplicate (2000+) emails in that 'Inbox'.

We have changed the name of’ C:\users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\ to POP Peeper-x’ (which includes poppeeper.ini), and uninstalled V5 via the W10 Control Panel.
‘C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\SslCerts’ is still there (and should we delete it b4 reinstall?), but basically empty.
There is/was no ‘C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\‘ folder.

Am thinking it might be easiest to reinstall PP and have it re-download email to the 'subject-account' from 'scratch' if possible:
Therefore, given your info re the data.db 'inbox', we (before reinstall) change ‘\POP Peeper-x\’ back to ‘\POP Peeper\’, delete the’\subject-account\data.db’ file, reinstall PP V5, get it to use the old ‘\POP Peeper\’ folders with poppeeper.ini (but without '/subject-account/data.db’), and hope it will re-download the subject-account emails and keep all the other accounts as is/was.

We have been working with some 2013 instructions found at ‘viewtopic.php?t=5254#p35019’, but wondered if there may be some more current help.

Hope that all makes some sense.
And thanks again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you have duplicate messages in the inbox, then there's a good chance that you have a corrupted database, which could very well have happened before upgrading to v5 and it's just that it now has some visible side-effects. I've never seen the problem first-hand, but from anecdotal evidence, one potential reason that can cause data corruption is when POP Peeper is running 2 instances on the same configuration (and both instances write the same message data to the same database). POP Peeper normally doesn't allow 2 instances by default, but there is a chance and this is something that should be much improved in v5 (b10/11 which isn't available yet).

SO, on the assumption that the data is corrupt, I would recommend simply deleting the database as you had suggested yourself:
c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\[AccountName]\data.db

That topic that you linked to was a more common problem when upgrading the OS from pre-Vista to Vista+ which caused problems for people that had installed PP as a portable folder in the Program Files folder (which was acceptable pre-Vista). As long as your ini file and data folders are under the AppData folder -- and not in Program Files -- you're fine.

And thanks for mentioning the SSLCerts folder -- it was missing from the uninstaller.
akm

Post by akm »

Jeff
Thanks for the followup!

So, does the following summary steps sound good for the reinstalling V5 ?

1 - Delete '\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\SslCerts\' (empty and left over from the 'uninstall').

2 - Change name of ‘\Roaming\POP Peeper-x\’ back to '\Roaming\POP Peeper\ (which includes the 'poppeeper.ini' file).

3 - Delete the ’\subject-account\data.db’ file (not the entire \subject-account\ folder) and rely on 'poppeeper.ini' to direct a download to a new ’\subject-account\data.db’ Inbox after reinstall.

4 - Reinstall V5

And thanks again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes -- that looks good. One option I would probably do personally is make a copy of the data folder (and rename one copy back to the original name) and then delete it once I think everything is working again.
akm

Post by akm »

Jeff
Thanks again for the followup.
We have made a copy (to a folder on the Desktop) of the ''\Roaming\POP Peeper\' folder.
Will get back with (hopefully good) reinstall results.
And thanks again for all of your 'forum' help !
Alan
akm

Post by akm »

Jeff
The reinstall seemed to have worked well.
After reinstalled V5.3 (btw, unchecked the 'Pro' box components, hope that is ok ? ) the inbox came up empty, but after restarted PC, W10 asked if wanted PP to make changes and we said 'yes'.
The 'subject-account' then started re-downloading (all other accounts inbox emails were already there and just started updating) past emails without duplicates.

BUT, now (a week later) some accounts arent able to send (but can receive) emails: 'Status' = 'Could not connect to SMTP server'.
No 'Send Mail' settings have been changed since the reinstall.

Also get popup error message for each problem account:
The following error(s) occurred while attempting to Send mail:
Account: usename
Login Error: Login Password
Server Returned 5.7.0 ...authentication rejected (#535)

But, as noted, am able to receive (as always in the past) emails from ('SMTP Authentication' with same password 'as incoming server') those accounts.
Any ideas ?
Thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You could try re-authorizing the problematic accounts by editing each account and then press on the OAuth2 button to then follow through with each of the requested steps. Also when editing the account make sure the "Server requires authentication" option is checked in the "Send Mail" window.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
akm

Re: How find /Inbox folder, V5 in W10 & reinstall ?

Post by akm »

Lakrsrool
Thank you for the suggestion!
Doesnt look like we have an 'OAuth2 button' for any of the accounts.
And as noted, we have not knowingly changed anything since (reinstalled) V4.5.3 was working this past week.
Maybe we should revert back to V3.8.1 (b4 V4s with Pro update' option included) ?
Ps: Tried finding something at www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=6597 but no luck.
mjs

Re: How find /Inbox folder, V4.5.3 in W10, & reinstall?

Post by mjs »

Whenever you get errors in PP it is always best to provide us with the complete text of the error message(s) you are getting in POP Peeper. You will find the way to do this here: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. If you post this information this can help us to know more about the problems you are having.

This helps us as far as which email accounts are you getting errors on (i.e., Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook, Yahoo, etc.) as well as the way your accounts are setup such as the protocol used for the affected accounts (i.e., Webmail, POP3, IMAP) and other associated settings etc.

Since you have not provided the error data --- I have looked back at some other posts of yours and based on this information I have found that you use Yahoo Email accounts (at least that's based on previous posts). So absent the error data I do not know what protocols you are using (i.e. Webmail or IMAP). If you are not using IMAP in your Yahoo account(s) then of course there will not be any OAuth2 buttons available (I had assumed that you were using the protocol that we recommend which is IMAP but since you do not have an OAuth2 button then assuming your issues are with Yahoo account(s), which will have an OAuth2 button when using IMAP, I'm assuming you are using Webmail (that is using "Yahoo" as your "Server type" setting for these account(s).)

In the event you are using Webmail -- what is your "Send option" set to when editing a problematic account. To get this edit the account and click on "Send Mail" to find the "Send option" setting at the top of the page (if you're using "Webmail" protocol this would be set to "Webmail"). Also it is very important that if you are going to use "Webmail" then your Webmail plugin should be current - see here for Webmail plugin releases: Locate Webmail current version (Note: click on the "Version History" link on the linked page to see all Webmail releases including the reasons for the update). You can determine the Webmail plugin you're using (among others) by going to "Help" > "About POP Peeper..." where all your versions are listed (again all this would be provided by posting the Error Data you get in this topic).

If your account(s) are using Webmail ("Yahoo" as the "Server type" in the "General" edit window for an account) -- you could try setting the Server type to IMAP to see if this helps (Note: all of your "IMAP" protocol [default] settings will be automatically set for the account when you change the "Server type" from "Yahoo" to "IMAP" so you should not need to to do anything else other than changing the "Server type" from "Yahoo" to "IMAP". Be aware that the account will repopulate your In-Box with your messages using the IMAP protocol so this will take longer than usual depending upon how many messages you have in the accounts In-Box).

In regards to PP errors, if you are unable to provide any error data then please provide the following:

1. Which email accounts are you getting errors on? (i.e., Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook, Yahoo, etc.)

2. How are you accessing the problematic accounts? (i.e., Webmail, POP3, IMAP)

3. Are you able to log-in to these accounts on-line via your browser without any problems?

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers