Can't store mail where I want in Win10?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Sentinel

Can't store mail where I want in Win10?

Post by Sentinel »

Been using PP for a very long time on previous version of Windows. I used to save the .ini file and the mail accounts folders in the same folder as the program. Then I think starting with Win7 you were better off if you saved the ini file in the "user" folder in AppData\Roaming, but I still liked keeping my actual mail account folders in a separate folder elsewhere on my drive. For example C:\\Folder\MyMail\ or something like that.

So now I am starting to play around with Windows 10. Installed fine and I am keeping the ini in the AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper folder, but I would like to keep the mail separate and it does not seem to be letting me. If I go into the storage section of the options and change the location of the data path then it seems to delete my ini and when I open the program again it has forgotten everything and it is like a brand new install. ini is lost.

So what am I missing here in Win10? It seems to be forcing me to save the data path as also in the user AppData\Roaming folder and I don't think this is right because there is an option to change the data path so it would seem that you would be able to change it. SO what am I doing wrong or overlooking?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Can't store mail where I want in Win10?

Post by Jeff »

Quick explanation as to what's happening in this scenario: When you change the data path from appdata to whatever, it's also moving the ini file (which is stored in the same folder) and when you restart PP, it doesn't know where to find the ini file and so it starts over from scratch *

There's a few ways to fix this, but the easiest and most straight-forward approach is:
- Exit POP Peeper
- Move the ini file from your new data folder (e.g. C:\Folder\MyMail\ ) back to AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
- Restart POP Peeper
-> Go to Tools / Options / Storage and make sure the data path is set as expected (C:\Folder\MyMail\)

* - I'm going to double-check this scenario because the ini file's location shouldn't change and so the only thing that would cause the scenario you've described is if POP Peeper then does not re-save the ini file (because when it's saved, it's going to save it in the AppData folder). Basically: it should have worked and if it doesn't, it should be fixed.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

OK, that doesn't work. This is very odd because I have exactly the same set up on a Win7 machine and it works fine. Bu this is what is happening.

1. I open the program and it thinks this is a new install so it takes me through the basic setup.
2. I set it up a little bit but don't close it. I look in C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper and there is an ini file in there.
3. I look in options at storage and it has C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper set as the location for both data path and the ini location. If I close it at this point it works fine.
4. I open it back up, go to storage in options and change the data path location only to C:\Folder\MyMail. The program gives me a warning that files could be overwritten etc... then click OK and I soon as I click OK the folder C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper and all it's contents disappears. It is no longer there. Not just the ini but the entire folder is no longer there.
5. I close the program, wait and open it up again. When I open it up again it acts as though it is a new install and can't find anything with the default locations of C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper.

If I save the folder at C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper and restore it back then open PP it behaves as it should but it has a default location for everything as C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper including data path. If I change anything the process starts over again.

Seems to me that what is happening is that when I make the change in options/storage it is changing everything, not just the data path, to C:\Folder\MyMail and deleting the folders at C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper. But it is forgetting this change and then the next time it opens it searches for the ini back at C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper and since there is nothing there it thinks it is a new install.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

1. I open the program and it thinks this is a new install so it takes me through the basic setup.
2. I set it up a little bit but don't close it. I look in C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper and there is an ini file in there.
3. I look in options at storage and it has C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper set as the location for both data path and the ini location. If I close it at this point it works fine.
4. I open it back up, go to storage in options and change the data path location only to C:\Folder\MyMail. The program gives me a warning that files could be overwritten etc... then click OK and I soon as I click OK the folder C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper and all it's contents disappears. It is no longer there. Not just the ini but the entire folder is no longer there.
5. I close the program
Above is listed your steps, but I've shortened step #5 because that's when you need to do something different. Here's what you do next:

6) Move:
C:\Folder\MyMail\poppeeper.ini
to:
C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

7) Restart POP Peeper

ALTERNATIVELY, there's a different method that should simulate what POP Peeper should do:
Perform steps 1-4 (ie. no need to exit POP Peeper)
5) Go to main menu: Tools / Options
6) Press OK
You should now note the presence of AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
At this point, you should be able to exit/restart POP Peeper and have your settings retained.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Unless I am misunderstanding you what you are saying is that I cannot change the location of the data files? It seems as though you are telling me to leave the data path set as C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper. If that's what you're saying then yes, when I leave it like that the program works fine.

What I am saying is that if I change the data path in the program (which is supposedly a user configurable option) then it moves ALL the files (not just the data files) to the folder that I set; in this case C:\Folder\MyMail. This includes the ini file. So after I close PP there is no longer any folder located at C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper. The entire folder is gone.

If afterward I copy that folder from C:\Folder\MyMail back to C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper then yes, when I open the program it functions normally and remembers everything. Except that the location for my data path is now changed back to default of C:\Users\Profile\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper. If I try to change it back to C:\Folder\MyMail then the process starts all over again.

So if I leave everything default ti works fine, but if I try to change my location for the data path it just doesn't work.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

OK, I *think* I might have figured out a solution although I still do not know why this is happening. So since I am not fixing it I guess it is more of a workaround than a fix.

I examined the differences between my poppeeper.ini files from Win7 (that works correctly) and the Win10 (that had the error). What I noticed was that the Win7 file had the following line that was missing from the Win10 file...

DataPath = C:\Folder\MyMail\

That line you see under the heading below...

[POP PEEPER]
AccountDblClk = 0
AccountTimer = 0
Admin = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Advanced = 1
AutoCheckUpdates = 0
AutoDisconnect = 1
AutoUpdateWebMail = 0
BackupIni = 1
CloseMinimizes = 0
ColumnDataAccountStatic = 0
ColumnDataMailStatic = 0
ConsecErrors = 3
DataPath = C:\Folder\MyMail\
DbAutoCompact = 0

So all I did was to add that line to the Win10 ini file and then it works as it is supposed to. I have no idea Win10 is not adding this line on its own. It appears to be a very important line. But for some reason a Win10 installation does not add that line. It would appear that if you are using default locations then it is irrelevant. But if you decide to move your data files location it is a critical line that needs to be there and the internal program option/setting does not seem to change or add this line but it leads you to believe that it does.

So as long as me adding that line does not mess with anything else I think I solved my problem. So the last question would be to the developers in here ... does me adding that line manually to my ini file do any harm?
mjs

Post by mjs »

While waiting for Jeff to get back to you -- I'm certain that adding this line will not cause extraneous issues. So you should not be concerned about that. :wink:

I checked my Windows 10 PP ini file data and just as was in your case -- do not find that "DataPath" line that you referenced either. It would appear that if you redirect (that is change the location [move]) PP data (i.e. ini file) to a different location other than the install default path then PP requires this "DataPath" line referenced in the ini file otherwise it would presumably not be necessary. Why the line is not added when you change the path location of PP will need to be addressed by Jeff.

I just wanted to get back to you so you won't be concerned about what you have changed in the ini file -- beyond that Jeff will be following up with more details. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sentinel wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:05 am Unless I am misunderstanding you what you are saying is that I cannot change the location of the data files?

No, as you've since discovered, that is not what I meant. However, I want to apologize for sending you down a rabbit hole for how I expected things to work and didn't. I've realized that I was using some incorrect logic for my suggestions, so let me try once more to explain what I think is happening:
1) Copying the ini file from the new data folder back to AppData --
Moving the ini file back to AppData should allow all your settings/accounts to work, but it probably didn't save any changes before moving the ini file; thus the updated "datapath" value had not been saved in that file yet.

2) Forcing POP Peeper to save the ini file after moving the datapath --
This may not have worked because the folder has been deleted (that being the AppData\POP Peeper\ folder). Programs cannot save a file to a folder that doesn't exist; the folder needs to be created first. So when POP Peeper would try to update the ini file, it would fail because the folder didn't exist.

So I'm glad you were able to figure out the solution despite my complete bumbling of trying to help you. I had started writing the "datapath" solution at one point, but ended up deleting it thinking that one of the other solutions I had provided would be simpler... #-o

I plan on taking a look at why all this was a problem in the first place and it should be resolved in the next update.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Thanks. I appreciate that.
As long as that fixes it I feel fine waiting for a more permanent answer.
Very much appreciated.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to conclude this -- I was able to reproduce the problem and my latest theory was correct -- POP Peeper wasn't saving the ini file in AppData after moving the data path because the folder in AppData no longer existed. There were some changes in v4.4/4.5 that may have contributed to this.

So, this has been fixed for v5.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Great. I mean not great that it wasn't working but great that I am not crazy and this is actually a thing.
So I guess this problem has not come to the front because most people leave the locations as default. So me being an oddball brought the problem out. But as long as it's being addressed and everyone is aware and I have a fairly easy workaround I'm happy. :D
Thank you for your help.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, that's likely. I think most people will use the default, whether that's in AppData or the "portable" location.

Personally, I create new ini files all the time and I usually change the data path so that each ini has its personal data folder. However, I'll let you in on a little secret -- I would manually change the "datapath" directly in the ini file (because I didn't want to affect other ini files that might use shared data) but this became such a nuisance that I added a secret command which would allow me to change the data path within the setup wizard. I thought I may have added this into v4, but I tested and it's not. But once you have v5 and if this little trick rings a bell -- on the storage page (of the setup wizard), if you hold ctrl and double-click just above the "note: locations can be changed later..." text, it will allow you to type in a path.

Disclaimer: this should only be done if you know what you're doing because it doesn't do any validation to ensure the path is viable. e.g. if you install in "Program Files" and use a relative path name, it may allow that and you'll end up having major problems. That's why this option is hidden as it's designed for developer-use only.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Thanks Jeff.
Very much appreciated. :D