Odd Win 10 taskbar behavior

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Apesbrain

Odd Win 10 taskbar behavior

Post by Apesbrain »

If PP 4.5.3.0 is running, its icon appears in taskbar. You can ALT-TAB to it. But if you click on it, it disappears and PP closes.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Odd Win 10 taskbar behavior

Post by Jeff »

Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's how the typical interaction with the tray icon works:

- If you can alt-tab to it, then the window is already open. ie. if POP Peeper is minimized to the tray, then POP Peeper will *not* appear in the alt-tab list of programs.

When you double-click on the tray icon:
- If PP is minimized to the tray, PP will open and get the focus
- If PP is open, but is not the window that has the focus, then it obtains the focus
- If PP is open *and* has the focus, PP will minimize (this may be a little abnormal compared to other programs but, personally, I wish all programs behaved that way instead "double-clicking when program has focus" doing absolutely nothing. As far as PP is concerned, it allows you to get a quick peep at your messages and back to minimize without having to move your mouse).

- You can also assign a command for single-click behavior (ie. a single-click can perform the same behavior).

So, I want to understand what you mean by this:
"But if you click on it, it disappears and PP closes."

Specifically, what do you mean by "it disappears and PP closes" -- are you saying that PP actually exits and you have to run PP again? Or does the tray icon still exist? If the tray icon is still there, then I suspect that my explanation above should answer what's happening (that is, PP is minimizing back to the tray because PP is the program that has the focus when you click on it).
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

Sorry for any confusion. I'm not talking about the PP tray icon, but the PP taskbar icon. The one that appears at bottom of Win 10 screen when PP has been opened from the tray icon.

To repeat:
1. Open PP from tray icon (now called Notification Area)
2. Click on PP taskbar icon
3. PP closes to tray icon

I guess it makes sense but it's different from other programs as you've said.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Apesbrain wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:49 am Sorry for any confusion. I'm not talking about the PP tray icon, but the PP taskbar icon. The one that appears at bottom of Win 10 screen when PP has been opened from the tray icon.

To repeat:
1. Open PP from tray icon (now called Notification Area)
2. Click on PP taskbar icon
3. PP closes to tray icon

I guess it makes sense but it's different from other programs as you've said.
Please post a screen-shot of the "PP taskbar icon.... that appears at the bottom of Win 10 screen when PP has been opened from the tray icon" (as you have described). (I'm personally at a loss as to what your speaking of. :?)

Information on how to do this can be found in the following Sticky topic: How to take a screenshot and attach/insert it into your post.

ADDENDUM: Please also attach a screen-shot of your "Tray Icon" settings (at "Tools">"Options">"Tray Icon" as illustrated in the screen-shot below):
Tools-Options-Tray Iconl.png
Last edited by mjs on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

As requested:

mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the screen-shot.

If you right-click on that PP icon in the Task Bar do you get this Pop-Up displayed above the Task Bar?:
Do you get this result doing a right-click on the Task Bar PP icon?
Do you get this result doing a right-click on the Task Bar PP icon?
right-click on the Task-bar icon.png (33.09 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, I completely read that wrong. I use the same terminology myself (taskbar/tray) and yet I still managed to mis-interpret it... #-o

Ok, to answer your question -- POP Peeper through v4 has not had a way to minimize to the *taskbar*. Whenever you minimize POP Peeper, it always goes to the *tray*. So when you click on the *taskbar* icon for a program, that will either bring it into focus (if another window previously had the focus), or it will minimize the window; and for PP, that means it minimizes to the *tray*.

This behavior will be optional in POP Peeper v5 -- there will be an option that minimizing will not go to the *tray*. I've specifically tested the behavior you're describing and when this option is changed, clicking on the *taskbar* icon will behave as other programs do (the icon remains in the *taskbar*).

PP_MinimizeToTrayOption.png
PP_MinimizeToTrayOption.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

Thank you both for your replies. Exciting to know there's a "v5" in the future!