Delete duplicate emails at PP ?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
akm

Delete duplicate emails at PP ?

Post by akm »

Yahoo mail account is loading duplicate emails.
There are no duplicate emails in the account at ‘Yahoo mail’.
Would
- deactivating (un-check PP ‘Account’ box) the yahoo account,
- then delete all the PP yahoo account emails,
- then close PP and reopen PP,
- then re-check ‘Account box’ and do 'mail check' to reload yahoo account emails
work to solve the problem without PP deleting emails at the 'Yahoo mail' online account ?
Thoughts ?
Thank you.
Thanks again for your help !
akm (PPv4.5.3,W10,FFox,Office2003,Mbam,Privatefirewall,Avast)
mjs

Re: Delete duplicate emails at PP ?

Post by mjs »

You could try doing those steps you mentioned (if there are no duplicate messages in your Yahoo account on-line then you wouldn't necessarily want to be deleting those messages).

When you say "close" PP -- do you mean "Exit" PP? (right-click on tray icon and selecting "Exit" -- and then restarting PP) --- That's what I'd recommend doing in your steps listed.

Your PP Yahoo account In-box should only be getting whatever messages there are in your Yahoo account(s) Inbox when logging into your account on-line using the web.

What protocol are you using btw for your Yahoo accounts (IMAP, "Yahoo", POP3)?

When did this start?

Have you made any changes prior to when this started?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
akm

Post by akm »

Thank you for the reply and confirmation on the proposed steps !
And to answer your questions:
- Yes, we would 'Exit' PP, thank you for the clarification.
- We are using POP3 (we seem to remember IMAP not working in the past).
- The 'duplication' started when we noticed a lot (hundreds) of red-x 'messages no longer on server' (and they were duplicates of non red-x messages) which we gathered together with the '!' button and deleted.
Then duplicates without the red-x started loading.
We assumed the only way to fix the situation may be to do as thorough a cleaning of the PP yahoo account as possible.
mjs

Post by mjs »

First of all let me correct myself (in case there is a misunderstanding as I didn't previously explain myself very well) -- very important -- do NOT "Delete" all the messages in the PP In-box (this will delete them off the Server -- you do NOT want to do this!! -- you want to "Remove" them from the In-box see below)

You should select all the duplicated messages (with the Red "X") and then right-click on the selected messages and then select "Remove from list".

Let us know your results after you have implemented the listed steps that you have posted with the caveat referenced above regarding those steps.

FYI: I have noticed accounts with Red "X"'s messages (deleted via PP from the Server) that do not get removed from the PP In-box in a timely manner (in my case some eventually do get removed but then others continue to linger in the In-box and as I recall they were not necessarily Yahoo account messages). I've mentioned this as a side issue in a recent discussion I've had with Jeff who will likely have more to say about this.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you happened to delete Yahoo messages that you did not want deleted there is a way to recover "lost" (deleted) messages (within the past week) via the Yahoo recovery link below.

LINK: Recover lost or deleted emails.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Here's what probably happened: Yahoo decided to change the UID (Unique Identifier) of your messages. This is just an ID that the server and client will use to identify each message -- it's not supposed to ever change for a specific message. Yahoo sometimes changes it. Since you have apparently disabled the "remove messages not on server", you get a duplicate of each message -- one with the old ID (represented by the red-X) and one with the new ID.

It is safe to remove the duplicated IDs that have a red-X by deleting the messages from PP (but as lakrsrool mentioned, you do not want to delete the "real" messages). This just tells PP to remove it from the list and won't delete anything from the server. Using "remove message from list" is fine, too. It might be easier to sort the list by the status column to group all the red-X's together.

I don't remember a time when Imap didn't work for Yahoo (unless they had a server outage), but it's certainly recommended now (even though Yahoo doesn't support IDLE).

lakrsrool wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:12 pm FYI: I have noticed accounts with Red "X"'s messages (deleted via PP from the Server) that do not get removed from the PP In-box in a timely manner (in my case some eventually do get removed but then others continue to linger in the In-box and as I recall they were not necessarily Yahoo account messages). I've mentioned this as a side issue in a recent discussion I've had with Jeff who will likely have more to say about this.
hmmm.... The only related discussion I remember having was the case where PP displays a red-X when a message has been deleted, but there's still a view-message window open (ie. in PPv5, a view-message window could be minimized or in the background, which makes it more obvious/less-desirable compared to PPv4, which has the same behavior). These messages will be removed immediately upon closing the last open view-message window. Is this what you're referring to?
Last edited by Jeff on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified the delete situation -- don't delete real messages
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ The red "X" issue was mentioned by me in our " February 26, 2020 11:55 AM" conversation (email message) more specifically at the point where I mentioned ".... Wait -- ..." about 2/3 into the (long) message (where I referenced a very large number of very old Red "X" messages that remained in the PP In-box) and I continued later on at the point where I said "... I'm back --..." and then later when I closed with "The Red "X" messages still remain -- I'll report back...". As I recall one of the two newly retrieved messages that I deleted that day at the time of our conversation stream (having nothing to do with the previously discussed large number of older messages for that account) eventually did at some point go away after a subsequent Mail Check that occurred soon after I sent the specific message to you referenced above -- however the other "new" (deleted) message (with the Red "X") continued to display for some time but eventually did get removed at some point as I eventually no longer saw that remaining Red "X" message in the PP In-box as well so I didn't report back on this (this was a non-Yahoo IMAP account, btw)....

Addendum: I should have mentioned that selecting "Delete" for any of the Red "X" messages in my case didn't remove the messages (tried a few times) -- what I did for the larger number of messages was to "Remove" (Remove from list) the messages. The other two recent (new messages retrieved at the time of our conversation) that I deleted that also ended up with the Red "X"'s at that time -- I didn't do anything with (to see what would eventually happen) -- one eventually going away at some point after sending the referenced message to you and the other eventually going away at some point later on that day presumably.
'
Last edited by mjs on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akm

Post by akm »

Thank you for the replies.

As noted in our last post: "The 'duplication' started when we noticed a lot (hundreds) of red-x 'messages no longer on server' (and they were duplicates of non red-x messages) which we gathered together with the '!' button and deleted."

That is, before starting this topic we had highlighted and deleted the yahoo red-x messages that were duplicates of existing yahoo inbox messages, and now (and the reason for starting this topic) new duplicate yahoo messages (hundreds) without the red-x are being added to the PP inbox as if they are replacing the original red-x messages.

And we have stopped that process by disabling (un-checked) the yahoo account until we can come up with a way of stopping the process permanently...

1 - So, we shouldnt use the initial steps we posted ?
- deactivating (un-check PP ‘Account’ box) the yahoo account,
- then delete all the PP yahoo account emails,
- then 'exit' PP and reopen PP,
- then re-check ‘Account box’ and do 'mail check' to reload yahoo account emails

2 – Or, should we just deleted the PP yahoo account (including maybe some folder/s in the PP program files) and re-create the account ?

It seems like #2 may be the best, but will wait to hear.
Thanks again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My guess is that Yahoo is still changing the IDs on you. If I understand what you're seeing, POP Peeper would likely remove (or place a red-X) on the original messages that got duplicated *at the end of a successful check mail* (ie. by cancelling the check mail, PP may not have performed that function).

If you're particularly interested, there's a way to obtain the current UID and then you could compare it with the UID of the duplicate -- right-click on the message and select "display info" and then compare the "UID" value for each. If you don't have "display info" enable Advanced Options under Tools / Options / General.

My advice: delete the account and re-create it using IMAP. I've never heard of this issue occurring with Yahoo/IMAP and it would make sense that they would "fix" this issue since IMAP messages are *expected* to remain on the server (unlike POP3 where they expect the email client to delete the messages once downloaded). By deleting the account, it will also delete the data.db, just in case there's a possibility of corruption (what you're describing doesn't sound like corruption, but better safe than sorry). If you're asked if you want to delete the data files, you can respond with "no" to keep any archived/sent messages. If you re-create the imap account with the same name, those existing messages will still be accessible.
akm

Post by akm »

Thanks again for the followup info and suggestions.

We also found at livewire.com suggestions for yahoo imap/smtp settings, and will follow your advice and re-create the account; including deleting the data files so it will be as clean as possible.

Also we just updated another yahoo (seldom used) account on PP from pop3 to the imap settings, and it seems to work just fine.
Apparently we set up PP for yahoo some years ago with pop3.

Have a good one.
akm

Post by akm »

Seems to be working !
Followed suggestions: Deleted yahoo account (including deleting the data files), and recreated the account with imap settings.
Thanks !
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear things are back on track!