how to merge accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

how to merge accounts

Post by gordon »

Hi,
Please let me know if it is ok to copy (and delete) .eml files
using file explorer. Details below.

I have 2 separate accounts with the same email address.
Of course only one is active.
I would like to go to merge them.

It seems that I could do this from file explorer, copying .eml from account1 to account2
Go to
AppData/Roaming/Pop Peeper/account1/sent
and select .eml files and copy them to
AppData/Roaming/Pop Peeper/account2/sent

Also I would like to delete .eml files using file explorer.

I see there is an index.dat file in those folders, is that an issue?

Of course this only works for the following sent mail viewer folders.
Archive Deleted Draft Outbox Sent

This could be done in sent mail viewer, but file explorer supports drag and drop.

While moving/deleting I presume that PP must not be running.

I did try to create a dummy "account1", but it gave some error.
Maybe I should delete index.dat?

thanks
Gordon
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: how to merge accounts

Post by Jeff »

The folders that you mentioned can be merged. The index.dat file can be deleted and it will be re-created automatically. The filename of the .eml files contains a timestamp so it's unlikely that there would be any filename collisions unless it's actually a duplicate (the timestamp was specifically added for the purpose of merging). And, yes, you can delete .eml files, too.
gordon wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm This could be done in sent mail viewer, but file explorer supports drag and drop.
SMV supports drag & drop, but it does not allow you to move messages between accounts, so there's nothing wrong with using file explorer.

gordon wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm While moving/deleting I presume that PP must not be running.
Actually, in this particular case -- since you're not affecting the files that POP Peeper directly monitors -- it's OK. It would be recommended to close SMV, though, as it would see the activity of deleting files, etc. and would re-scan the folders every time it detected a change.

gordon wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:39 pm I did try to create a dummy "account1", but it gave some error.
Maybe I should delete index.dat?
Not sure what led you to the first error, but -- as mentioned above -- deleting the index.dat file isn't a problem. The index.dat file is specific to SMV, so it'd be a good idea to close SMV before deleting it.