Profile Picture

Protocol

Profile Picture

Post by Protocol »

I have recently purchased and installed version 5.
I am trying to setup my profile picture.

I thought it would be simple, but I can't seem to do it. 🤔
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Profile Picture

Post by Jeff »

You don't setup a profile picture for yourself, the idea is to associate a picture with someone that you receive email from. This can be done automatically (e.g. gravatar or facebook), or you can set one manually by editing their info in POP Peeper's address book.

If you want to assign your own profile picture, then I would suggest signing up with gravatar; but, most likely, the only recipients who may be able to see your picture would be POP Peeper users.

To manually assign a picture for a recipient:
1) Open POP Peeper's address book (Ctrl+B)
2) Edit the existing contact or add a new one if it doesn't exist
3) Point to a picture in the "Image path/URL" field

Let me know if you have any questions.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Oh, I see, Jeff.

I was looking at it from the other way around.
While we are talking about the Address Book.
Are you planning on implementing an import addresses feature from another application such as, for example, Microsoft Outlook?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Within the Address Book Interface there is under "File" in the Interface menu (or if you're using the "Addresses" button in the Toolbar pressing that button) an "Import" and "Export" function. Additional instructions are provided when using the "Import" function.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Thank you...
mjs

Post by mjs »

FYI -- I apply a little trick to have all of the Profile Pictures get listed separately after all of the Email Addresses are listed by adding the "~" character in front of each of the Profile Picture names. This way the Email addresses and Profile Pictures are all grouped together separately with Email Addresses listed above where the Profile Pictures are listed as you scroll down through the Address list past the Email Addresses.

The advantage of doing this is that when you use the Address Book to send a message all of your email addresses will be listed above Profile Pictures. This is helpful because you would only be interested in the Email addresses when composing and sending a message (as opposed to Profile Pictures). :wink:

Example Screen-shot (Email Accounts are listed alphabetically above Profile Pictures):
Example trick to have Profile Pictures listed below all Email addresses.png
FYI:
Example setting up Capital One email with Capital One Logo (in Picture Profile):
Profile Picture setup in Address book.png
Example Outcome reading Email message:
Profile Pic outcome.png
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I didn't understand what you meant by that.
I'll have to read it again. I have added a profile picture to an address, but I only see it in Edit.
What would be the outcome if you didn't use the ~ ?

Also, are all the profile pictured linked rather than stored?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:56 am I didn't understand what you meant by that.
I'll have to read it again. I have added a profile picture to an address, but I only see it in Edit.
Did you add the Profile Picture the same as in my example? Notice the Email Address domain of the email address of the Sender in the "Email:" box and the path to the picture (.png) file in the "Image/path URL:" box where you can point to either a URL address or the location of an image file stored on our computer? (in my example the path is directed to an image file that I created that I have saved on my computer).
Protocol wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:56 amWhat would be the outcome if you didn't use the ~ ?
Without the "~" (or any other character that would serve to make Profile Pictures unique to email addresses and as a result list them after the Email Addresses) the Profile Pictures would not be grouped together separate from and listed after the Email Addresses. By adding the "~", in this case, it serves to group all non-Email addresses (namely - in this case Profile Pictures) alphabetically subsequent to the Email Address list. By doing this when you use the Address Book to look up an Email Address to send a message you will have all of your Email Addresses grouped together in alphabetical order at the top of the list which is all you would be interested in seeing for purposes of sending messages (i.e. the Profile Pictures listed alphabetically after the Email Addresses are not something you're going to be interested in as far as finding an Email Address in the Address Book. Try starting to compose a message and open the Address book (assuming you have some Email Addresses there) -- what is it you'd be interested in seeing -- answer: Only Email addresses (not Profile Pictures) which by applying my method is all you will see at the top of the list prior to seeing any Profile Pictures.
Protocol wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:56 am Also, are all the profile pictured linked rather than stored?
In the case of picture files (.png files) they are linked to the stored location on your computer (i.e the "Folder") where you saved the Picture file that you created. In other words the picture files are linked to where they are stored. In the case of a URL -- your linking to the URL (web site address).

To clarify creating a Picture Profile, in my example I went to the Internet -- found a picture of a Capital One logo and saved it in a folder on my computer. I then added the Picture Profile to my POP Peeper Address Book that includes the name of the Picture File (w/ a leading "~") and the domain of the Email Address of the sender (Capital One) in the "Email:" box as well as adding the specific path to where I saved the Picture File (.png) file on my computer in the "Image/path URL:" box. This is just one way to create a Picture File for an email address of a sender.

The procedure ("trick") I use adding a "~" character in front of all Profile Picture names is my own convention (therefore optional) to keep all Email Addresses grouped separate from all the Profile Pictures in the Address book so that all of the Email Addresses will all get listed at the top making it easier and more convenient when the Address Book is used to find an Email Address when preparing to send a message. The leading "~" character in the Picture Profile name is what provides a way for all Picture Profile entries to be unique to Email Address entries thus providing a way to alphabetically separate (group) the two type of entries in the Address Book. This method also makes it easier to edit both Email Addresses and/or Profile Pictures by making both (grouped alphabetically) easier to find. Take a look at my "Example Screen-shot" (top image) in my previous post where you can observe how the trailing (last on the list of) Email Addresses (partially redacted for privacy reasons) are grouped alphabetically along with all the other proceeding Email Addresses that will be listed above as contrasted to the Profile Pictures that are grouped alphabetically at the end of the list by virtue of the leading character I added in front of all the Profile Picture names. If it is still unclear to you -- at the point when you start adding both types of entries in the Address Book you will get a better idea of what I'm talking about. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool's examples are for corporate/newsletter emails. You would not want to use that technique for regular people that you correspond with.

Profile Pictures is NOT just for corporations, it can be used for real people in your address book.

Personally, if I were to use lakrsrool's trick (ie. adding contacts for the sole purpose of associating a picture), I would prepend the name with "zzz" so that they would appear at the *bottom* of the list. (I guess the ~ accomplishes the same thing :oops: )

POP Peeper provides a default list of "corporate" email addresses so that a picture will appear for email from them (e.g. amazon.com) without having to provide an entry into the address book. This is obviously not a complete list but I can see that at least one of the entries in lakrsrool's list already exists in the default list. But I'd be happy to update the list to include more if someone wants to send me the data...
mjs

Post by mjs »

My mistake for not making my approach clearer. My example was for Capital One... (I would never send messages to Capital One or any other Profile Picture that I'm entering into the Address Book purely for purposes of having a corresponding picture to display in retrieved messages that I would never send message to which is why these entries are separated from the what I call actual "Email Addresses" I use to correspond). I am speaking in terms of messages that I get from Senders that I don't typically send message to but only received message from in regards to adding the leading "~" character in order to group these entries separately from "Email Address" I might be looking up in the Address Book to send to (in fact in most if not all cases the messages in the second tiered group cannot be replied to as they are to alert me regarding a statement that is available or bill that has been due or been paid etc).

Frankly -- probably 98% of my Email is this kind of correspondence. As to the the Email Accounts that I have in my Address Book that are for the purpose of to-and-from correspondence -- I would of course NOT apply the method to separate these from the Email Accounts I might send messages to (because these are what I term my "Email Addresses" as opposed to just for the exclusive purposed of having a "Profile Picture". Of course what I'm referring to as "Email Addresses" can have a Profile Picture for some users, not in my case really, so I can see where I've caused potential confusion). Fact is, in my case, I do not bother to apply Profile Pictures to the "Email Addresses" that I might correspond to-and-from myself -- but considering others probably would I should have made it clear that I was speaking in terms of messages from entities that I only receive emails from and never would and in most cases cannot send to (as this is not the intention of these kinds of messages I'm speaking of).

So I can see Jeff's point (regarding his reference to "corporate" email) and should have made this more clear. #-o But I would add that for me considering these messages are 98% of my Email I don't think of what I'm doing in those terms but rather my goal is to keep one type of Book Mark entry grouped separately from the other type Book Mark entry (that being either "Email Addresses" versus "Profile Pictures" exclusively that are not "Email Addresses" at all (as one can see since these entries do not actually have "Email Addresses' in them -- with just the domain referenced).

To Clarify -- in the situation (in my case virtually none) that I would have a Profile Picture for accounts I send messages to (I've had to create one for an example -- see below) then I would leave the Profile name alone w/out the leading "~" character so that the "Email Address" remains where it belongs in the group that I would personally call "Email Accounts" (of which I might send messages to) as contrasted to the Address Book entries I have that are exclusively only for the Picture Profile for the messages I only get messages from.

Example:
If it's an emal address account then you would not separate by adding leading character.png
If it's an emal address account then you would not separate by adding leading character.png (23.73 KiB) Viewed 18627 times
This would be an example of a friend who I might at times correspond with -- so this is what I mean by an "Email Address" which would be in the group of email addresses listed above any entries that are just exclusively for the purpose of a Profile Picture only which would be listed in the second group by virtue of the leading "~" character in front of the Profile Picture name. Clearly the Profile Picture name for the what I would refer to an Email Address I use to send messages to would NOT have the leading "~" character in the name thus be included in the top-group that I consider in my mind to be actual Email Addresses used for correspondence as opposed to messages from those who I only receive messages.

As one can see in my previously posted example screen-shot with the leading "~" there is not any "Email Address" included in the entry -- but rather just a "domain" referenced. These are clearly NOT for purposes of "Email Address" but rather for exclusive purpose of including a Picture for the Sender (and so in this case the "~" leading character serves the purpose to group these Book Mark entries separately). I do this because otherwise these entries I do not and in most cases cannot send to would all be mixed in with all the other "Email Address" including the entry I'm composing the message for. It makes it much easier to find the actual "Email Addresses" at the top of the list where I want to see them when I'm needing to look up an Email Address to send a message to as opposed to having both types of groups intermingled in the Address Book.

Of course this is just my preference -- I'm not advocating that anyone else should necessarily use my approach but am rather just putting it out there as a suggestion only. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

In regards to the built-in list as reference here:
Jeff wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:22 pm POP Peeper provides a default list of "corporate" email addresses so that a picture will appear for email from them (e.g. amazon.com) without having to provide an entry into the address book. This is obviously not a complete list but I can see that at least one of the entries in lakrsrool's list already exists in the default list. But I'd be happy to update the list to include more if someone wants to send me the data...
Jeff is absolutely correct this list does exist (I should have covered this as well). That said however, I have a considerable number of messages from senders that are not in the list (if there is any duplication it's likely that at some point they may have not been included in the "default list" at some point in the past.) Some of my Picture Profile entries are there because when discussing these specific senders with Jeff at the time I recall that he did not consider some of them "common" enough to be included in the "Default" list (entirely understandable). My method addresses any such cases that I still might want to have a Picture Profile for (at least I find my approach helps facilitate my looking up the "Email Addresses" I do use to correspond with when I need to compose a message and might not recall the exact address). Whether my approach makes sense for anyone else -- that's up to the individual as it is purely optional obviously. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

New addition: the next update for Profile Pictures will allow an optional 'user.ini' file so that images can be added for companies without having to add an address book entry for them. Documentation for this feature will be in the help file (beta 20)
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ This new addition will be a big improvement for POP Peeper available for PPv5 and make my method of grouping company domain Profile Pictures separate from typical Email Address Profile Pictures (the latter list listed first as a group) that formerly both resided (intermingled alphabetically absent my approach) in the Address Book unnecessary as this new improved method regarding Profile Pictures that typically involve company domains are from senders that are generally never replied to will be a much better approach by keeping these Company Profile type Pictures in a separate file other than the Email Address book. =D> (the Address Book will then only contain Email Addresses that a user would typically correspond to-and-from with replies -- thus facilitating the checking on Email Address when composing messages)

The new 'user.ini' file would apply to those (company) domains that are not already built into (system.ini) POP Peeper (generally smaller or less known companies) providing users a method to add their own images for these companies that they may personally use.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Well done, guys. 👍