My incoming emails are being delayed ?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sportman13

My incoming emails are being delayed ?

Post by sportman13 »

My incoming emails are being delayed am using Gmail it comes in on the web in Gmail on PoP Peeper their is a 20 min to half hour delay and it dose not delete emails in PoP Peeper can you give me a fix please get back to me
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: My incoming emails are being delayed ?

Post by Jeff »

What method are you using to access Gmail -- edit the account and refer to the "Server type".

If it's "IMAP" then also let us know if the "Imap/Idle" checkbox is checked on the same page (bottom-right).
sportman13

Post by sportman13 »

Jeff here is the "Server type".
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted for security/privacy reasons.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

sportman13,

I deleted your attachment because it contained a personal email address.

Please re-post the attachment AFTER obscuring/editing the email address(es). Spambots will harvest such information.

Thank you.
Global Moderator
sportman13

Post by sportman13 »

Jeff here is the "Server type". it's "IMAP" the "Imap/Idle" is checkbox is checked on the same page (bottom-right).And is being delayed am using Gmail it comes in on the web in Gmail on time PoP Peeper their is a 20 min to half hour delay in PoP Peeper can you give me a fix ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman13 - When editing the Gmail account in POP Peeper -- Do you have the same exact settings as displayed in the circled area of the screen-shot below?
IMAP w-IdlePush enabled in PP.png
Using these same settings -- I have no problem with getting Gmail messages in PP without any delay. If you have anything different than what you see in the circled area please tell us what it is.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman13

Post by sportman13 »

lakerscool I have the same set up it is being delayed am using Gmail it comes in on the web in Gmail on time PoP Peeper their is a 20 min to half hour delay in PoP Peeper can you give me a fix ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

I have done some testing and I can't get Gmail IDLE/Push to fail to work as long as the "IDLE/Push" option is enabled (checked). I even tried disabling IMAP in Gmail (which from my experience doesn't seem to matter) but it still works in POP Peeper until I uncheck (disable) "IDLE/Push".

So after testing for the last 45 minutes -- what I find is no matter what --- as long as the "IDLE/Push" option for IMAP accounts is enabled (checked) in POP Peeper then I get messages pushed to the POP Peeper Inbox as expected when using IMAP with "IDLE/Push" enabled.

A couple of suggestions:

1) You could try doing a reboot of your computer to see if this resolves some possible conflict glitch perhaps.

If no help trying that....

2) You could also try re-authorizing POP Peeper for your Google accounts by editing the account in POP Peeper and pressing the OAuth2 button (on the right-side of edit window) and then follow through with each step after that. (I wouldn't think this is a problem however if your eventually getting the messages retrieved, albeit "delayed", in POP Peeper).

If after trying the two suggestions above and there is still not any change then I have two questions:

1) How long has this been occurring (the delay in messages)?
2) Have you done anything with your computer like making changes (especially regarding security software) or adding software prior to when this issue started?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

It sounds something similar to my unsolved issue.
viewtopic.php?t=7418&p=37843#p37843
mjs

Post by mjs »

HCsns wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 am It sounds something similar to my unsolved issue.
Please refer to THIS POST by you HCsns in your topic where you mentioned you would send the "PP_logs soon" to Jeff -- did you followup by sending him the PP_Log? (I'm asking because it appears your issue(s) remain unresolved).
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman13 -- the post by HCsns raises one question in regards to what Jeff posted in that topic:
There are a few requirements for idle to work:
1) The imap server must support idle (both gmail and outlook do)
2) AutoCheck must be enabled
3) The account must be enabled
4) Idle/push must be enabled
sportman13 -- going over the four requirements listed:
1) check -- your using Gmail -- so IMAP is supported
2) ?????? -- QUESTION TO YOU sportman13 -- I'm assuming you have "AutoCheck" enabled -- is that correct?
3) check -- your account is enabled based on your previous answers to my screen-shot questions
4) check -- same as above in regards to IDLE/Push

So the only question remaining (which I assume to be the case) is -- Do you have "AutoCheck" enabled?

I presume so because you are getting messages (albeit delayed).

Oh btw, I'm noticing you are using the sportman13 screen-name instead of the previous sportman40 (that last time I recall a topic by you was discussed) -- just curious, any reason why the change from sportman40 to sportman13?
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

lakrsrool wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 am
HCsns wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 am It sounds something similar to my unsolved issue.
Please refer to THIS POST by you HCsns in your topic where you mentioned you would send the "PP_logs soon" to Jeff -- did you followup by sending him the PP_Log? (I'm asking because it appears your issue(s) remain unresolved).
Yes, yes, we did all the work with Jeff... but there was no real solution to the issue... we found out that the IDLE/Push interrupt the connection after 5 minutes from the first check, that's it.
Jeff solution was the following "I have added in a setting so that the idle timeout can be configurable; this will be in v5.0."
Anyway, I'm not able to try the v5.0 yet.
If you want to look to the full conversation I had with Jeff, I can send to you... let me know.
mjs

Post by mjs »

No thank you -- it is not necessary to send me the conversation you had with Jeff. I was just wondering if there was a followup PP_Log sent to him is all (since you mentioned the issue remained unresolved). However it is good to know that PPv5 will ultimately address this issue. :)

You can check with Jeff about the possibility of trying out the beta version of PP if you like.
sportman13

Post by sportman13 »

lakrsrool the next step you want me to do ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman13 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm lakrsrool the next step you want me to do ?
1) How long has this been occurring (the delay in messages)?
2) Have you done anything with your computer like making changes (especially regarding security software) or adding software prior to when this issue started?
3) Do you have "AutoCheck" enabled?
Right-click on the PP icon in lower-right corner of desktop to see this (screen-shot below) - you should see the same thing as my screen-shot:
This is required for IMAP IDLE/Push to work  (all other factors required for IDLE/Push to work appear to be satisfied based on your previous comments)
This is required for IMAP IDLE/Push to work (all other factors required for IDLE/Push to work appear to be satisfied based on your previous comments)
AutoCheck enabled.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 7293 times
4) Have you tried doing a reboot of your computer? (based on what you've posted and if the "AutoCheck" is enabled as seen in the screen-shot above your messages should not be getting delayed)
sportman13

Post by sportman13 »

lakerscool here are my answers

1 How long has this been occurring (the delay in messages)? Week

2) Have you done anything with your computer like making changes (especially regarding security software) or adding software prior to when this issue started? No

3) Do you have "AutoCheck" enabled? yes
right-click on the PP icon in lower-right corner of desktop to see this (screen-shot below) - you should see the same thing as my screen-shot):

4) Have you tried doing a reboot of your computer? (based on what you've posted and if the "AutoCheck" is enabled as seen in the screen-shot above your messages should not be getting delayed) I did a reboot of my computer same thing
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman13 - I can't see any reason your messages would be delayed (that is you see the message(s) in your inbox logged into the account on-line but PP does not retrieve them, according to your report, until about 20-30 minutes later). You probably have the "polling Interval" in the "Mail Check" options set at somewhere around 20-30 minutes which would account for your IMAP messages getting retrieved when they do. This would suggest that the IDLE/Push is simply not working in your case even though you have all the criteria set for IDLE/Push to work -- as listed below:
1) Your accounts are Gmaill which support IMAP IDLE/Push
2) AutoCheck is enabled as reported by you.
3) The Account is "enabled" (will retrieve messages) and IDLE/Push is enabled as reported by you.

You have not added or changed any software (including security) prior to this past week when the issue started.

So I'm not sure why you are having this "delay" message issue.

Perhaps other members of the Esumsoft team will have other ideas or suggestions - but I've frankly just about ran out of ideas myself.

There is one thing you could check -- which is if your Gmail Account is setup for "IMAP access" in your Gmail accounts settings -- but it is my experience it doesn't seem to matter in my case either way.

If you want to check this out you can by doing the following:
1) Login to your Gmail account(s) on-line (on the web)
2) A) Click on the "gear" in upper-right corner area of the Gmail Inbox Window (on-line on the Web) - then B) click on "See all settings":
Step 1 to get to IMAP settings in Gmail.png
Step 1 to get to IMAP settings in Gmail.png (10.28 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
3) In the next Gmail settings window -- Scroll over to the right and click on the circled area ("Forwarding and POP/IMAP") as you see in the screen-shot below (which will get you to the Gmail settings window for "IMAP" access by Clients using IMAP):
IMAP enabled in Gmail.png
After enabling IMAP (assuming it was not previously enabled) -- scroll down to the bottom (all other settings below the IMAP setting should already be set to the "default" settings) -- then click the "Save Changes" if you needed to select the "Enable IMAP" access option to enable IMAP access in your Gmail account(s).

This setting might take a while for you to notice any difference assuming it makes a difference in your case (again in my case it doesn't seem to matter what this setting is set at since IMAP including IDLE/Push works in PP in any case for me -- but maybe it will make a difference for you -- if you want to try it, that is).

Otherwise, I'm just about out of ideas at this point. I can't really see why you should be getting any message delays in your Gmail account(s) based on the information you have posted. If this has only been occurring for the past week -- it would seem to me that something has caused this change to occur -- but you have reported no changes have been done by you in regards to settings or software changes or updates of any kind -- so you've got me why a change like this would have started occurring just over the past week. :? Perhaps more feedback will be provided by other POP Peeper support staff....
sportman13

Post by sportman13 »

lakerscool let me give you a more detail Example if 10 new emails come in between 1pm and 1 15 pm the come in on the Gmail on the web and in Pop Peeper it will come in same emails 20 mins to half hour please get back to me
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman13 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm lakerscool let me give you a more detail Example if 10 new emails come in between 1pm and 1 15 pm the come in on the Gmail on the web and in Pop Peeper it will come in same emails 20 mins to half hour please get back to me
Yes -- I understand. I've described what you get as a 20-30 minute delay in PP (for accounts using IDLE/Push) from when the messages are retrieved in the Gmail account on-line (which should not be the case using the IDLE/Push function).

Is the computer you are using a Desktop or Laptop computer?

If it a laptop are you logged into the Laptop and is the Laptop active -- that is "awake" and not in "sleep" mode when the messages are observed in your Gmail account(s).

1) How many Gmail account(s) have this delay problem?

2) And is that all of the accounts you have?

3) Better yet -- list all of the types of accounts you are using (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook etc etc).

4) Are they all set to use IMAP with IDLE/Push?

5) Do some of the accounts not have this "delay" issue?

6) What security software do you use? (Virus and/or Firewall software protection)?

7) Please do the following from the main menu in POP Peeper
7A) Click on "File"
7B) Click on "Error overview..."
7C) In the next Window -- Click on the "Copy Log" button
7D) Click on the "OK" button in the next dialog window
7E) Click on the "Close" button for the first dialog window
7F) Now in your next post when answering all the questions listed above -- Do a right-click in your next post and select "Paste" from the right-click context menu you get.

This last step will paste the results of the "Copy Log" you did into your post (along with the answers to all the other questions above) -- which will tell us a little something about your PP setup -- and many thanks!! for the feedback :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm currently looking into a potential issue with Gmail. I'm beginning to think that Gmail is not as reliable as I have historically given it credit for... :|

Earlier this morning, I sent one of my gmail accounts a message. PP didn't report it, although my phone and browser did. About 5-10 minutes later, I did a manual check in PP and it found it. I checked PP's logs and there was nothing to indicate that gmail had notified PP of the new message (that is, before the manual check). A little later, I sent the same account a message and this time PP reported it automatically.

Just now, a couple hours after that initial test, I sent myself another message. After about 15 minutes, the message is still nowhere to be found (phone, browser, PP). In the sending account (also gmail), the message is in the sent folder and the BCC was also received.

Obviously, there's nothing that PP can do about the 2nd scenario. As for the 1st scenario, I think that gmail is the culprit, but I have an idea for how to mitigate this. Also, this is not exactly the same problem that HCsns reported because in that case, the connection was consistently being disconnected.

On a theory, I'm wondering if the lack of idle notification is because my receiving email account is my primary Google account (ie. it's tied to my phone). sportman13 -- is your gmail account tied to any other devices or do you have any other email clients checking it?

Otherwise, hold off on doing anything more until I can investigate this further (although, it's hard to investigate when gmail doesn't report any new messages...)

(20+ minutes after sending the 2nd test and it's still not in any of my account's folders)