v.5 upd: SSL Plugin not installed

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Dixon Butz

Re: v.5 upd: SSL Plugin not installed

Post by Dixon Butz »

Glad to help in anyway
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

Strange that PP updater works on another PC. I copied the same folder from the non updating PC to this other PC. Folder copied to D:\No Install Apps\Internet\POP Peeper
mjs

Post by mjs »

What are the differences between the two PC's? (i.e. OS used, ISP used, type of connection, etc)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

Both have lastest win10
PC that PP won't update is a custom built AMD 3700X CPU with LAN connection. Comcast gigabit.
PC that PP updates is an all in one Dell PC with Intel CPU on wireless. Asus 86U router with Merlin's FW.
I have some other PC's to test soon.
Edit: It may be the firewall. I need re-check that on the non updating PC
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

It is working now. I tried it again with firewall on and made rule when the connection notification popped up from Windows Firewall Control.

But today I ran PP and showed "New Version Available" button in the bottom taskbar. It was not there yesterday. I had to go to help, about PP, and hit the check version. I'm sure I tried yesterday with firewall off. It's very easy to control with Windows Firewall Control. https://www.binisoft.org/wfc
So it's working.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for feedback Image -- I'm sure Jeff will be glad to hear this. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The standard Windows Firewall is usually not a problem, since it will generally only block incoming connections. I'm not familiar with WFC, but I assume that it changes behavior more like a 3rd party firewall which tend to block programs after they're updated.
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

I confirm that, also on my side, today the auto-update works without change anything.
Thanks for the support :wink:
mjs

Post by mjs »

Gigios wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:01 pm I confirm that, also on my side, today the auto-update works without change anything.
Thanks for the support :wink:
Was it a Firewall issue after all? (just curious because you had previously posted "disable all the firewalls, but without success"). If not the Firewall what changed your results (for future reference)?
acidosolforico

Post by acidosolforico »

lakrsrool wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm acidosolforico - apparently the SSL plugin installed correctly (since you are using SSL 1.1.1.7). Is this error caused by incoming message (incoming settings appear OK) or outgoing message? -- I notice that your SMTP setting is using Port 25 (insecure port not using SSL); is this what you intended to use for your "Send Mail" settings?

Your error message is (translated): "SSL connection failed (Has the SSL Plugin been loaded?)".

Do you have the "SSL" plugin enabled (checked) in "Tools" > "Plugins" (from the main menu)?

Btw, thank you for providing the error info.
I tried with another account of another provider and IMAP/SSL works. I have also tried using Outlook 2016 with the same issue. So i'm sure the problem is not in PopPeeper but in my provider (one of the most important in Italy). I will ask the help desk.

Thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Keep us posted on what you find out acidosolforico
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

lakrsrool wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:16 pm Was it a Firewall issue after all? (just curious because you had previously posted "disable all the firewalls, but without success"). If not the Firewall what changed your results (for future reference)?
No, I don't have changed anything.
I have disabled the firewall the first day after the installation, without success (I have also rebooted the PC for security), after that I have restored the setting of the firewall.
The day after, after read a post here in the forum that the update was working, I have retried with successful.
I don't know what is changed in one day.
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

Yeah, seemed like when an update was showing without checking, it worked. Like something changed server side yesterday. IDK