Deleting Spam

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
n8chavez

Deleting Spam

Post by n8chavez »

I have PopPeeper Pro with the Plus Pack addon. (That's a lot of Ps!) I use the anti-junk filter and it seems to work very well. However, I'm having an issue deleting mail, that PP has classified as junk, from within the junk folder. When I do this the emails temporarily get removed from the junk folder and placed in the trash folder, as I expect. But then, because PP has classified them as junk, the emails then get removed from the trash folder and moved once again to the junk folder. It's impossible to delete mail classified as junk. Is there a way to prohibit junk mail filtering on the "trash" folder?
mjs

Re: Deleting Spam

Post by mjs »

Have you tried using the "Delete" options for "Junk" in the "Actions" page of the "AntiJunk Settings" window?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

lakrsrool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:30 am Have you tried using the "Delete" options for "Junk" in the "Actions" page of the "AntiJunk Settings" window?
I thought of that, but I am afraid that mail I needed will get deleted on accident. Also, in the Antijunk Settings, under General, there's an option there to "Delete When I mark as Junk." I just tried that. After changing the setting to delete things I mark as junk, clicking on Check Mail does delete things I mark as junk. However, it is simply retrieved again the next time the mail is checked.

EDIT: Using the "Delete" options for "Junk" in the "Actions" page of the "AntiJunk Settings" causes the same thing to happen as well. In both cases, things I mark as junk never truly get deleted.

Perhaps if I up the required antijunk score to 1.5 to be seen as junk, mail would need to be determined to be junk by both blacklist and Bayesian. That would give junk a score of 2. Then I could delete things determined to be junk.

hmmm.... :?: :?:
mjs

Post by mjs »

Testing for this behavior, I am unable to duplicate what you have described. In my case, if mail is either marked Junk by "AntiJunk" or I mark a message as Junk myself - in either case when I delete these messages in the Inbox they remain deleted from then on (do not return to the Inbox on the next Mail Check, or any other time, as you have described).

Other members of the Esumsoft Team will perhaps provide additional comments concerning your issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

One thing that has me confused is the apparent repetitive options for deleting junk. I am not sure is these settings are correct, or which ones have priority over the others.
2.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Here's how you can prevent POP Peeper from evaluating Junk folders (or other folders):
1) Make sure you have enabled "Advanced options" under main menu: Tools / Options / General
2) Edit the account
3) Select the "Advanced 2" page
4) Enable: "AntiJunk: do not automatically process this account"
5) Press OK

As for your last question about deleting junk:
The "delete" you've highlighted on the bottom is what you see after pressing "more actions". That will always match the "Delete" you see in the section that you pressed it in. e.g. if you pressed the "more actions" in the "Actions if Junk" section, then the 2nd and 3rd highlighted "delete" checkboxes in your screenshot will always match. So, yes, those are redundant.

The concept of the "Delete if junk and score is at least..." is to only delete messages that are much more likely to be junk, even if they're evaluated as junk. Take the way yours is setup, for example. If a messages receives a score of 1.5, it will be evaluated as Junk, but it will not be deleted. If another message receives a score of 2.5, then it will be deleted. This is one way that it's intended to be used.

Another method: you can set that value to something like 50, and then assign the weight of individual rules that you think will definitely catch spam a weight of 100 -- this means that only messages that are triggered by those particular rules will have a chance of being deleted (since it's extremely unlikely that a message would receive a score of 50 based on normal filters). You could assign those individual rules to delete, but using the weight method makes it a little easier to change your mind later if you decide insta-delete is not a good idea; ie. instead of editing every rule to uncheck the "delete" box, you just need to untick the "delete if junk and score is at least..." checkbox.