trayicon disappeared

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
paweterings

trayicon disappeared

Post by paweterings »

Poppeeper's systemtray icon has disappeared. I can't open the program clicking the programbutton, because I get "program already running". That means iI can't change program preferences.
Please help
mjs

Re: trayicon disappeared

Post by mjs »

You are getting the message "program already running" because you have a POP Peeper process that is still running. We may need to investigate further as to why you have this situation. Have you done anything different or observed any message related to POP Peeper or can you recall what you have recently done different than usual regarding POP Peeper?

For now -- to fix your problem you can stop the POP Peeper process that will then allow you to start POP Peeper again as you normally do.

You can use your Operating System's Task Manager to stop the PP process from running by following the steps below:
1) Press the keys Ctlr+Alt+Del (simultaneously) - that is all at the same time.
2) Then select (click) the option "Task Manager" at the bottom of the list of options - this will open your Task Manager. (On Win7 the option will be "Start Task Manager" at the bottom of the list.)
3) In the Task Manager - make sure you have the "Processes" tab selected at the top (just under the menu options in Win10, it will be the 1st tab. For Win7 the 2nd tab).
4) If you are using Windows 10 - the Pop Peeper process will be listed at the top among the "Apps" group as "POP Peeper Email Notifier". (if you're using Win7 you can scroll down to find the "POPPeeper.exe" process as it is listed). Note: if you see more than one POP Peeper process running you will need to do the same steps 5-7 below for each POP Peeper process.
5) Right-click on the POP Peeper process (which will give you a right-click context menu).
6) From the context menu - select (click) the "End Task" option (For Win7 it will be "End Process" in the context menu).
7) Respond to the warning dialog prompt you will get to confirm that you want to stop the POP Peeper process.

You are done - the POP Peeper process is now been stopped.

You can now start Pop Peeper by "clicking on the programbutton" as you have previously mentioned that was giving you the "program already running" dialog.

Please let us know if this worked out for you or if you continue to have a problem of some kind.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

Mysteriously when I consult the taskmanager (as I have already done) there is no mention of PopPeeper.exe. I have uninstalled (with Revo uninstall, to remove as many traces as possible) and reinstalled Poppeeper. It now works fine, exept that there is no unread mail icon when I recieve a message.
Which setting do I use for that?
mjs

Post by mjs »

If I understand you correctly - the messages in your PP Inbox are flagged as "read" (display the open white envelope icon) in the PP "Read status" column.

If so this indicates that these messages have been previously read (opened). The "Read status" column (white open envelope) can be identified by hovering the column at which time you will observe the tool-tip popup display the words "Read Status" for that column with an accompanying explanation.

If you have more than one account - try sending a new message to one of your accounts to see if that message is marked as "New" in PP's "Read Status" column (blue closed envelope icon). Then do not read (open) the message but simply close PP (using the Red "X" in the upper right corner where the PP control buttons are located) and then re-open PP as you usually do (probably clicking on the tray-icon) to see if you then get the "Unread" icon (closed yellow envelope) in the "Read status" for that same message in the PP Inbox.

If the message initially had a "New" message icon (blue icon) for the message you sent and then after closing/opening PP (without having "read" the "New" message) the message then has an "Unread" icon (closed yellow envelope) -- then PP is working as it should. The "Unread" icon will remain this way until you read (open) the message via PP or via using your account on-line - at which time the message will display the "read" icon (open white envelope) in the PP "Read Status" column.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

I'm sorry I didn't express myself clearly. There used to be a counter or envelope popup in the systemtray icon when there is unread (new) mail. Now, only the desktop warning appears.
Attachments
ACER SNAG- 27-10-20  00.jpg
ACER SNAG- 27-10-20 00.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
mjs

Post by mjs »

The PP notifications are controlled in the "Visual" area of the "Notifications" window by going to "Tools" > "Options" and selecting the "Notifications" window options. The basic PP alerts; "When I receive new mail:" settings ("Visual" area) is where you can change how PP notifies when new mail is retrieved by PP. Most likely you will want to set the "Display Desktop Alert" option to "- No Special Action - " and make sure the "Display Windows notification (tray icon balloon tip)" option is checked (at the bottom of the Interface).

Let us know if this is what you want.
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

I can only find the option to have a desktopalarm, open poppeeper or open emailprogram. The options for the system tra icon seem to have disappeared. (At install I chose the Dutch language because that is my mother tongue)
Attachments
ACER SNAG 20-10-27 003.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

You do not have this option?:
Balloon notification.png
Balloon notification.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
If you do (you should) then make sure this box is checked to hopefully get what you want for new message alerts. :wink:
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

I do have that option and I already selected it. That only works if you disable the desktopalrm. And even then, it only displays a little envelope, the option for the number of emails counter (every account in its own color) seems to have disappeared.
In the previous version I had both the systemtraballoon (with the counter) and the desktopalarm. It's a great pity it is not possible in the new version
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What you're looking for is on the "Tray Icon" page of the Options list.

Also, the "Windows notification" and "desktop alert" are not mutually exclusive -- you can use both at the same time if you want.
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

I'm probably blind as well as stupid: I can't find any "trayoptions" .
After turning the desktopalarms back on, the tray icon now stays active, so we're almost there.
For wich I am thankful (also for your patience).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Go to "Tools" > "Options..." -- select "Tray Icon" to get:
Color-code icons.png
After your previous post to last where you mentioned "... the option for the number of emails counter (every account in its own color) seems to have disappeared." - perhaps you want one of the two circled options.

Let us know if you get the results you want. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Also paweterings, if I may offer a word of advice as a followup -- if you have issues, such as you have described in your first post to the topic - instead of uninstalling (using Revo) and re-installing PP, it would be better (and easier for you) to contact us first. You have lost your familiar settings that you had been using previously (i.e. the Message Alert settings among others) because of doing the uninstall. We may have been able to address the problem without doing an uninstall. :) (admittedly, based on what you previously described - it was very strange that the Task Manager did not list a running PP process, however. :?)
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

OK, I will remember for next time
mjs

Post by mjs »

Great! - so then you have presumably restored the new message alert function to what you wanted. =D>
paweterings

Post by paweterings »

It's a new systemtrayicon and a new desktopalert from my previous version, but it works OK now.
Thanks for all your help.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The desktop alert may look a little different by default, but if you right-click on the desklet, you can select the old look (iirc, it's referred to as "classic"). The tray icon did not change from v4, so if it looks different, perhaps you were using the other of the 3 "tray icon" options?