Can't view embedded pictures in email?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
River

Can't view embedded pictures in email?

Post by River »

Some emails with pictures do not view only text of picture. See attached...

Any solution?

Thanks,
River
Attachments
Image 001.jpg
mjs

Re: Can't view embedded pictures in email?

Post by mjs »

Hi River,

Which one of the Email Services is this occurring on? (i.e. Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo etc. etc.)

Are the images getting displayed when reading the message on the web (when logged into the Email Service using your browser)?

What version of POP Peeper are you using?

Can you please post a screen-shot of the settings you are using in the View Messages Interface (go to Tools>Options>Messages from the main PP menu).

View Messages example screen-shot:
View Messages example screen-shot.png
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
River

Post by River »

Which one of the Email Services is this occurring on? (i.e. Outlook.com, Gmail, Yahoo etc. etc.)
• AOL

Are the images getting displayed when reading the message on the web (when logged into the Email Service using your browser)?
• Yes

What version of POP Peeper are you using?
• POP Peeper Pro v5.1.2

Can you please post a screen-shot of the settings you are using in the View Messages Interface (go to Tools>Options>Messages from the main PP menu).
• FWIW, I've tried changing these settings....
Attachments
Image 002.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you tried the "View messages" settings as illustrated in my previous post. You may need to double-click on the banner illustrated in the screen-shot below to "Show images". If you are sure you can trust the site you can click on the "Confirm Legit" option on the upper-right side illustrated in the screen-shot to suppress (avoid) the "Double-click" banner for these messages. It is imperative that you are sure that you can trust sites before allowing the messages to view messages in HTML (images) including using the "Confirm Legit" option for all future messages from that sender.
You may need to double-click on this banner to render images ("Confirm Legit" will suppress the banner for future messages from this sender)
You may need to double-click on this banner to render images ("Confirm Legit" will suppress the banner for future messages from this sender)
Banner to 'Show images'.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 8891 times
Does the banner above get displayed below your message window Toolbar when reading the message?
Other members of the Esumsoft Team may have additional comments/ideas as well (there may be something that I'm not aware of in regards to AOL in your specific case).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

River -- assuming that the images aren't being intentionally blocked as per mjs's last screenshot, can you provide a sample message that exhibits this issue? To do so:

1) View the message in POP Peeper
2) From the menu, select File / Save message as
3) Save it to a file
4) Send that file as an attachment to (support at esumsoft dot com), and please include a link to this forum topic for reference.

The sample email you provide will contain personal information (e.g. your email address), so do not post it to the forum.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, I forgot to ask -- it sounds like you have multiple messages causing this issue, but are they all from the same sender? Whether it is or not, are all the messages part of a newsletter?
River

Post by River »

"Also, I forgot to ask -- it sounds like you have multiple messages causing this issue, but are they all from the same sender? Whether it is or not, are all the messages part of a newsletter?"

• Yes
mjs

Post by mjs »

Is that a "yes" to both? -- that is that the "multiple messages causing this issue" are: 1) all from the same sender? and 2) all part of a newsletter?
River

Post by River »

• Done

"River -- assuming that the images aren't being intentionally blocked as per mjs's last screenshot, can you provide a sample message that exhibits this issue? To do so:

1) View the message in POP Peeper
2) From the menu, select File / Save message as
3) Save it to a file
4) Send that file as an attachment to (support at esumsoft dot com), and please include a link to this forum topic for reference.

The sample email you provide will contain personal information (e.g. your email address), so do not post it to the forum."
River

Post by River »

MJS,

"Have you tried the "View messages" settings as illustrated in my previous post."
• Yes...still can't view pics.

"Does the banner above get displayed below your message window Toolbar when reading the message?"
• Yes, 'confirmed legit', suppressed...no change.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The pictures displayed for me, which may indicate that you have some relevant settings not setup correctly.

Here's a URL to one of the images:
https://files.constantcontact.com/654d25d0101/3235c3f7-a55d-4fca-8705-18662b09a2ab.jpg

First, try opening that URL in Internet Explorer (PP uses IE-based controls to display HTML; do not use Edge, it must be IE). I suspect that it won't display. If it doesn't display:
1) From IE's menu, select Tools / Internet Options (typing "internet options" into the start menu will open the same thing)
2) Go to the "advanced" page
3) Scroll to the bottom and make sure that the following are enabled:
- Use TLS 1.0
- Use TLS 1.1
- Use TLS 1.2
(TLS 1.3 isn't necessary, do not enable SSL 3.0 if it's disabled)

If you changed anything, save it and then try reloading the image in IE again and see if it works. If so, try PP again -- if it still doesn't show the images, try exiting and restarting PP.

There are other options in IE that may need to be adjusted, but that's the most likely one; so try that first and we'll go from there.

I tried disabling TLS 1.2, and IE could no longer show the image, so "Use TLS 1.2" must be enabled.
River

Post by River »

Image 017.jpg
Image 018.jpg
Jeff,

Here are my ie11 settings you mentioned:

The pic url displays in firefox and ie11 displays an error message:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For some reason, I thought you had win10 (looks at screenshot to deduce version, "yeah, that's win10..." #-o ). Now I'm paranoid I've forgotten what all those old OS's look like -- Win7, right? I wouldn't think that win7 would have a TLS issue, but it's certainly possible since it's out of support now. I know Vista doesn't support the later TLS revisions very well.

So, the other thing you can try is back on the "advanced" page of Internet Options and press the "reset..." button. After you reset, make sure that TLS 1.2 is still enabled and also go to the "Connections" page / LAN settings and make sure it's using "automatically detect settings" (ie. sometimes a bad proxy can cause this problem -- you can check this before "resetting" if you want).
River

Post by River »

Jeff,

Yes...W7

Resetting IE11 didn't help and "automatically detect settings" is checked.

](*,)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I updated my Win7 VM to IE11 this morning and I can confirm that it looks like the website uses technology that isn't compatible with Win7's TLS.

I would like to provide an alternative HTML renderer, but other priorities have kept me busy from that.

In the meantime, since I don't remember seeing a "view online" link in that newsletter, another alternative is to use the File / "Open message in client", but you'll need to have Thunderbird or a similar client installed for that to work.

Or, update to Win10 if just for security reasons :-|
River

Post by River »

I would like to provide an alternative HTML renderer, but other priorities have kept me busy from that.

"... since I don't remember seeing a "view online" link in that newsletter"
• It used to but not any more :(

"... another alternative is to use the File / "Open message in client", but you'll need to have Thunderbird or a similar client installed for that to work.
• That works but was hoping PP was 'one stop shop" :)

"Or, update to Win10 if just for security reasons "
• To costly with multiple computers and legacy software and hardware to replace. :roll:

The story continues ..... thanks for your continued help!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

River wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm • That works but was hoping PP was 'one stop shop"
I'm really surprised that there's an issue with Win7, but I guess that just shows how fast security needs to change these days. Sorry!
River wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm "Or, update to Win10 if just for security reasons "
• To costly with multiple computers and legacy software and hardware to replace.
Yeah, I get it. I know that MS still provided win10 for free after the supposed deadline, but I have no idea if that's still the case (I would tend to think it is, but have no knowledge either way); and if the hardware's the problem, that's a different story. Win11 is a problem for my main system -- my 4790K just isn't new enough (let alone my core2duo laptop [which runs win10 just fine]) even though I really have no other need to consider upgrading :(
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:58 pm I'm really surprised that there's an issue with Win7....
Yep, I can confirm the same (https://files.constantcontact.com/654d2 ... 09a2ab.jpg) URL test posted in this topic produces the same "This page can't be displayed" result for me as well using IE11 on Win7. :(