[CLOSED] Portable: poppeeper.ini location

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
tnodir

[CLOSED] Portable: poppeeper.ini location

Post by tnodir »

App's folder is write-protected, so the app can't create temporary .ini file when saving.
Please use the "./data/poppeeper.ini", when "./poppeeper.ini" doesn't exist.

Update: Or better, backup to "./data/poppeeper.ini.bkp" and rewrite the "./poppeeper.ini" directly (WRITE|TRUNCATE open mode) by not using a temporary file.
Last edited by tnodir on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Portable: poppeeper.ini location

Post by Jeff »

I will admit that I regret making the main program folder the default location for portable files (I've changed my ways in other programs). Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to change it now, even adding another (3rd) default location would make it messy and is why I haven't done it before (I have seriously considered it), but I will keep considering it.

What you can do is still place the ini file in the data subfolder and then you can use a command-line to open it. You can create a batch file and/or modify the relevant registry for windows startup. Some of that information can be found under:
PP main menu: Help / Contents; General Information / Using the ini file
Ask if you need additional information.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your issue, the temp file should be irrelevant (it's created in the same folder as the ini file) and is done the way it is to mitigate potential data corruption.
tnodir

Re: Portable: poppeeper.ini location

Post by tnodir »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:10 pm What you can do is still place the ini file in the data subfolder and then you can use a command-line to open it.
Thanks, the "-ini" option is useful.