Existing messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
tjpsnj

Existing messages

Post by tjpsnj »

I can't find a faq or guide for poppeeper.
I added a new hotmail account with years of messages in it.

Is it possible to have poppeeper pull a copy of all those messages into the app? Hotmail interface has really sad search /filter features.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Existing messages

Post by Jeff »

That's pretty much what POP Peeper does by default, so you may need to clarify what you mean.

However, PP will try to reduce the bandwidth/storage used and won't retrieve the "entire" message in some cases, so if you want to make sure that the entire message is retrieved, the relevant options are all under:
main menu: tools / options / message retrieval
- IMAP = Entire message (assuming you're using IMAP to access the account)
- POP3/IMAP: max number = 0 (0 is the default, which means "all")
- Webmail/Imap: don't retrieve body for messages marked as read = UNchecked (this is checked by default)
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

The messages on the account date back to 2010. None of the messages headers or anything come into Poppeeper. Only new messages that arrive after I created the account in poppeeper.
I am trying to populate poppeeper with all the messages. If possible I can say I want messages from these 5 or 8 specific email accounts.
But filtering on hotmail is useless. I figured I could sort it much quicker if I could pull it down.

Which of the options are best? Does the number of messages override the check boxes? The drop downs?
mjs

Post by mjs »

tjpsnj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:50 pm I can't find a faq or guide for poppeeper.
Specific to this question, you might start out by taking a look at this POP Peeper page including FAQ. (the PP Inbox for each account will be populated by all messages that currently reside on a specific accounts server so would reflect what you see in your Inbox for each respective account on-line - that is, what you would observe logging in on your browser. Jeff will likely explain in greater detail).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Are you using POP3 to access the account? I know Gmail's pop3 has a setting which is something like "only retrieve mail from XX date" and it's likely Outlook has a similar setting. If you use IMAP, you shouldn't have such problems.

fwiw, I can't find such an option in Outlook, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Otherwise, are the messages in a different folder?

Actually, it sounds like you're doing something special: "If possible I can say I want messages from these 5 or 8 specific email accounts" -- I don't know what that means... If your hotmail account is retrieving those messages from another account, then it may be putting them in a different folder than the inbox (or something like that).
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

Nothing special.
Completely default.
Must be the OAUTH2 and the approval of an app must take some time to get processed on their end. I checked mail and it is coming down now as the default does.
Awesome sauce.
Thanks for the FAQ link. I most likely have some backing up to do.
My poppeeper runs in a vm I keep expanding and moving device to device. The VM is backed up but the instance of poppeeper? I don't think I did that yet. Today the VM started dunning me to upgrade to WIN11. I'll keep putting that off long as possible. Work is entirely too busy to try and keep up with the personal life for Microsoft to move all the buttons around.
Thanks again for the quick response.
T
mjs

Post by mjs »

Good to hear you're getting your messages now. Image
As to Oauth2, the authorization of PP is applied (established) as of the time the PP notification is observed that the Oauth2 process has been successfully completed, on the other hand however - it will generally take some time to initially populate the PP Inbox (as a result of the first PP Mail Check) with, in this case, 12 years of accumulated messages (dating back to 2010 as you mentioned) and hence eventually show-up in PP depending upon the number of messages involved. Once this is accomplished - subsequent PP Mail Checks will occur very quickly from then-on-out (as you have probably noticed).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers