Whats going on with AOL? ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Whats going on with AOL? ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later)

Post by Jeff »

That method disables AOL's requirement to use Oauth2. Whatever works :D
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

How long do I have to wait for the aol email server to allow me get an email and the worst thing is happening I can only access email from the AOL website I checked the name and password it works. It acting like they permanently banned accessing the server with any apps?
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I just my AOL acct and gave me instructions on enabling auth server I forgot the full name but it went through the process of getting my AOL verizion acct working TY Greatly was that something you just enabled I assume yes :D :shock: =D>
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

Hi MICHAEL,

Your AOL account xxxxxxxxxx@verizon.net was just used to sign in on POP Peeper.
If you did this, you’re all set.

If not, please use <Link: https://login.aol.com/account/activity#authorized-apps> this link to stop sharing, and create a new password.

Have a great day!

Thanks,

AOL
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

The problem is back I saw the pp was the I dont know how all those auth settings popped up as when I see the acct settings imap is there already so there no way to that auth box to pop up that allows the setting in AOL mail to be triggered
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 pm outlook 2019 not working so when I checked I this I could not recive email and the saw this post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHsT_ItXYCA
You posted the above comments on the bottom of the previous page that has the video with steps to generate an "app password". Regarding this post of yours on the previous page - please answer the following questions below.

Did you do all the steps in the video to generate an "app password"?

If you did after the app password is generated the video instructs you to copy the app password down (see this step in the video below) - did you copy the app password down on a piece of paper?
This is a step taken in the video to use an 'app password'
This is a step taken in the video to use an 'app password'
If you did copy it down did you then enter that "app password" you copied down into your POP Peeper email account?
If you did not do this then do it now - enter the "app password" you generated and copied down into the POP Peeper account password prompt (see screen-shot below) and update the account (click the 'Update" button) Also make sure settings (i.e. Server type, Incoming Server etc etc) are as they are circled in red in the screen-shot below.
You must enter the 'app password' you generated by way of the video as the password in your POP Peeper account.  Note: This is only used in this POP Peeper account and is not used to login to your Verizon account on the web (you continue to use your 'normal' password, not the 'app password' on-line)
You must enter the 'app password' you generated by way of the video as the password in your POP Peeper account. Note: This is only used in this POP Peeper account and is not used to login to your Verizon account on the web (you continue to use your 'normal' password, not the 'app password' on-line)
Test the account to see if it works.

To clarify, this video (to generate an 'app password') is just one way to resolve your issue - on the previous page Jeff posted another way by using "Oauth2" (instead of using an 'app password'). It's your choice (one or the other) to either generate an "app password" as in the video or to authorize PP using the "Oauth2" process to do this as posted by Jeff near the bottom of the previous page. (if you continue to have problems using an 'app password' - then you might try using "Oauth2" as illustrated, step-by-step, by Jeff on the previous page).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The message that you referred from AOL is from activating Oauth2 within POP Peeper -- it's pretty standard. One of the advantages of using Oauth2 is that you can rescind the apps permissions from accessing the account. If that's what you did, then that's why you're getting errors again.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I have no need do all the bs to be able get my email plus whenever I try to my know password for aol I get it wont let me use my password

--- Error ---
MN Verizon [1000: IMAP] [' imap.aol.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.verizon.net' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 2]
- Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials) -- Edit account: pp://EditAccount?TWljaGFlbE1OIFZlcml6b24=
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I was able to get the new pw so that needs to be saved in case I need it again right?
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

btw how often will I need to make a new pw for the aol acct or am I all set to get email as long nothing on my end changes?
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:54 pm I was able to get the new pw so that needs to be saved in case I need it again right?
Yes - a copy is a good idea in the event the app password were removed from the POP Peeper account (which in that case you would need to re-enter it in POP Peeper as you did the first time).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:16 pm btw how often will I need to make a new pw for the aol acct or am I all set to get email as long nothing on my end changes?
An app password does not need to be renewed (an advantage over Oauth2 which sometimes requires re-authorization) as long as you don't delete the app password in your Verizon account that you are using for POP Peeper - so yes, you are all set as long as nothing on your end changes. \:D/