Juno Email

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
keiser13

Juno Email

Post by keiser13 »

I use the premium Pop Peeper.
I have used Juno email since day one.
I rely almost exclusively on Pop Peeper but check June Webmail if expected email doesn't arrive.
Never a problem until recently.
I note that "some" email appears on the Juno Webmail site bit never makes it to Pop Peeper.
[Nothing in "Junk."]
I haven't changed any setting on either.
Any idea where I should start looking?
Thank you.
keiser13

Re: Juno Email

Post by keiser13 »

I should have added:
I also read mail on Apple Mail.
The "remove from server" choice is NOT checked and has never been checked.
I don't see any recent comments about Apple Mail behaving improperly.
And not all email view on Apple Mail fails to show in Pop Peeper.
Thanks for any clues.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you haven't done this already, you could try looking for potential hidden messages by temporarily displaying any possible hidden messages. To do this temporarily (from the main PP menu) go to "Messages" > then uncheck "Enable display filters" (you may get a dialog explaining what this does assuming you haven't requested that the dialog not be displayed again in the past). Then check to see if formerly missing messages are now listed in your PP In-box. Don't forget to enable the "Enable display filters..." option back to what it was (add check mark) again after testing for this.

If no help trying the above - you might try checking to see if you might be restricting the number of messages that can be displayed in your PP In-box. To do this go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Message Retrieval" to see if you have something other than "0" in the "Max number of messages to retrieve" ("0" represents no limit). It is important to keep in mind that this same setting can also be account specific that can be checked on by editing your PP account(s) to check for this in the "Advanced" page at the bottom. Note: if the "Advanced" page is not listed when you edit the PP account then you will first need to enable "Advanced options" under "Tools" > "Options" > "General" from the Main PP window to gain access to the "Advanced" option when editing accounts.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

Uncheck "Enable display filters" works!
But reverts as soon as I check.
Where are these filters?
Under the Juno Account "hide Messages" is "None."
Some of the hidden messages are from the same senders displayed so I am not clear what is sensed as the difference.

Possibly hidden because I have already read on my MacBook?
Maybe something to do with PPTweaker?
IMAP sync is enabled but Juno is POP3, I think.

I will disable display filters for now.

Thank you.
mjs

Post by mjs »

So if I understand you correctly what you mean by "Uncheck 'Enable display filters' works!" is that the messages you expect to see that were missing do appear as a result of disabling (unchecking) the display "filter(s)". This is why you temporarily disable (uncheck) the "Filters" that are 'normally' checked - to see what messages are "hidden" and address these formerly "hidden" messages based on the reason(s) why they were 'normally' hidden. Leave the display "Filter(s)" disabled (unchecked) while you deal with the formerly "hidden" messages that get displayed that you prefer to have displayed in the PP Inbox when the display "Filter(s)" are once again enabled (checked - as they should be).

For example:
- Messages with a red background are junk (which would have been displayed using the "Junk view" button in the main menu bar)
- Messages in italics have been marked as hidden (by default, PP hides messages from yourself using a rule, which can be disabled)

A simple way to address the "Junk" messages would be to mark them as "Legit" using the "Legit" button in the main PP toolbar. There are other ways to address "Junk" messages as well (i.e. by changing the "default weight" for the white list). Messages hidden for other reasons (possibly based on default Anti-Junk "rules" is one example) can be either disabled or modified as well. Jeff will likely elaborate on this last part involving "default weight" and/or Anti-Junk "rules" if you are still having problems getting the messages to display as expected.

And of course, if you still have questions - let us know what type of messages are getting "hidden" when the display "Filter(s)" are disabled (unchecked).

Oh and I should probably mention -- always make sure that you're not viewing a specific account that may not actually have any messages. There is a "View" drop-down above the message list that allows you to select a specific account to view - this is 'normally' always set to "All Accounts". :wink:

If you're able to address all of your 'missing' messages - don't forget to re-enable (check) the "Filter(s)" as they formerly were. 8)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

Yes, the hidden messages are what are on the Juno server but were not displayed in PP
They do appear in "junk view" although they should not be "junk" as not all of the emails from the same sender are hidden and neither the sender nor the domains were ever blocked
When I mark as "not junk" they do appear normally.
They were evaluated as junk under the Bayesian filter so I will disable the over-active Bayesian filter at least until I get around to marking messages as legit.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Last edited by keiser13 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Your welcome, and yes, it sounds like your "hidden" messages are apparently all "Junk" messages (SPAM) and from what you've posted you've got the idea now. :wink:
So, yes by simply clicking on the "Junk View" button in the main PP toolbar (no need to change the "Filter" settings in these cases) - you will be able to see all of the "missing" Junk messages that have been "missing" in your PP Inbox (typically messages that are legitimately "Junk" would not be desirable to see which is why they are generally "hidden").

What you can do is mark these messages (that you do not consider "Junk") as "Legit" (using the "Legit" button) or you can click on the "Confirm Legit" button in the upper-right area of the PP window when reading the message (this is advisable to ensure a sender is not consider as "Junk" going forward anyway). Once a message is marked as "Legit" then that sender will ultimately not be "hidden" again as "Junk" but should then get displayed (as Legit messages) in your PP Inbox.

A way to test for this would be to mark these (Legit) messages as "Legit" and then right-click on that specific message in your PP Inbox and select "Remove from list" from the right-click context menu (toward the bottom of the list) - which will remove the list from your PP Inbox (but not delete the message and therefore will remain on the Mail Service "Server" of which will once again get retrieved by PP on a subsequent Mail Check). So you can simply wait for the next Mail Check for this test (or do a manual "Check Mail" from the PP main Toolbar) at which time the PP Inbox should get populated with whatever former (hidden) "Junk" messages you previously marked as "Legit" (which will continue to be the case for this Sender going forward as PP "learns" what is or is not "Junk" using this Bayesian filter method). By doing this for every one of your "Junk" messages that you do not consider as "Junk" these messages from that Sender should ultimately be considered "Legit" and therefore not continue to be "hidden" as "Junk" going forward. (of course this all works in reverse if you were to mark a specific message in the PP Inbox as "Junk" using the button for this on the main PP toolbar - which is again the way PP continues to "learn" what is or is not to be considered as "Junk" mail)

... I'm glad we got this taken care of before Super Bowl Sunday! =D>
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

One more question.
I know "j" marks an open message a junk.
But I usually already know from the address that it is junk and would like to use the keyboard to mark without opening.
[Of course, I can use the mouse + menu, but a hotkey would be useful.]
Is that possible?
mjs

Post by mjs »

In "Tools">"PPtweaker..." you will find "Shortcut" key assignments - what I found is that marking messages as "JUNK" is already set by default from the "Main" PP window - so messages do not need to be opened (read) to do this (with this "Shortcut" already defined).
Screen-shot below displays the "J" key as assigned to setting messages to "JUNK" from the "Main" window (not the message window).
The "Window" drop-down list has "J" key assigned to the "Main" window (using the Window drop-down to specify what window the shortcut applies to).  If the "Message" window was selected then it would apply to the Message window as you stated.
The "Window" drop-down list has "J" key assigned to the "Main" window (using the Window drop-down to specify what window the shortcut applies to). If the "Message" window was selected then it would apply to the Message window as you stated.
I tested this and was able to set a message as "JUNK" from the "Main" PP window which is I think what you want to be able to do (as opposed to having to open the message). As illustrated in the screen-shot -- you can "assign" new or reassign old "Shortcut" keys as you prefer (using the box just below the "Current Keys" assignments and you have a choice 4 Interface windows available to you in the drop-down list to select from that would apply to the assigned keys).
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

Yes, that is how I understood "shortcut" as well,
But pressing "j" does not mark the highlighted message unless I open it.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You may not be noticing the change to "Junk" using the "J" shortcut in the main PP window.
I'll illustrate what occurs step-by-step using screen-shots (note: I am remaining in the main PP window the entire time for each step below and at no time did I open the "View Message" window to read the message):
PIC-1 Before setting the message to "Junk" using the "J" shortcut in the main PP window (this is what you'll see, a "Legit" message):
PIC-1 Before setting message to 'Junk' using 'J' shortcut.png
PIC-1 Before setting message to 'Junk' using 'J' shortcut.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
PIC-2 After setting the message to "Junk" using the "J" shortcut - Notice the change from the first screen-shot as the same message is now displayed as "Junk":
PIC-2 after setting message to 'Junk' using 'J' shortcut .png
PIC-2 after setting message to 'Junk' using 'J' shortcut .png (9.64 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
PIC-3 If you select another message in the Inbox - you will notice that the message is now highlighted with the color for "Junk" messages (while selected the color is obscured because the message is "selected" in the previous screen-shot):
PIC-3 Notice after removing focus 'selection' off of message the color is marked as 'Junk' in the Inbox.png
PIC-3 Notice after removing focus 'selection' off of message the color is marked as 'Junk' in the Inbox.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
PIC-4 And finally to verify - clicking on the "Junk View" button produces a list of "Junk" message that includes this same message that was changed to "Junk" status via using the "J" shortcut in the main PP window:
PIC-4 as expected the 'Junkview' will display the message in the 'Junk' message list.png
Try it again - to see if you get these same results. (for this illustration - I never "Opened" the message to "View" it, remaining in the Main PP Interface window the entire time)

Note: This example is of course based on the premise that the "Main" (default) window is assigned to the applicable (mark as junk) "J" shortcut as illustrated in the screen-shot in my post previous to this (which I've assumed to be the case based on our previous discussion).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's also a default column that mjs isn't using, which shows a thumbs up/down (user evaluation, ie. J/L) as well as a colored diamond (system evaluation):
temp.png
temp.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
(I believe the "junk score" column I use in the screenshot is not displayed by default)

I pretty much exclusively use the L/J from the message list, so I can assure you that it does work as expected. You may want to go into PPtweaker and temporarily change the 'J' shortcut to Ctrl+J and see if that works; if it does, try changing it back to J and re-test.
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

I do see that window and I am following that procedure but I do not get that response.
Changing the short cut key, resetting did not work.
using PPTweaker 5.2.2.0
Since this works for you, I will experiment some more as this would be the desirable way to use the feature.
I will report back.
Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

keiser13 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:43 pm Changing the short cut key, resetting did not work.
Did you try testing the new shortcut key and did that work?

Do any other shortcuts work? For example, Ctrl+N to compose a new mail?

Also, what happens if you have a message selected and press a key that is *not* tied to a shortcut? For example, if I press 'B', I get a default windows sound, indicating nothing happened; whereas pressing J/L doesn't make that sound.
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

Ctrl+N opens a new message to compose.
"B" makes a sound.
"J" and "L" only change the status if I have opened the message. Otherwise, dead from main menu.
Changing and applying a new default key does nothing.

I reinstalled same version and all is well.
Thanks for your patience as this is a nice feature that will be heavily used now that I have found it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That's very strange, but glad to hear you got it working again.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe there was another command set to the same shortcut. The GUI shouldn't allow that to happen, though... :-?