Changed Password -- Account Won't Open

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Ambimom

Changed Password -- Account Won't Open

Post by Ambimom »

I received a security alert on one of my gmail accounts which was password protected. When I went back to the account neither the old password or the new password would open the account.

I tried to delete the account to no avail

I added the account with new password and it's working fine, but I can't delete the older version. It comes up in italics and asks for password but it won't recognize either password. Is there a way to delete that account?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Changed Password -- Account Won't Open

Post by Jeff »

The password used for password protection is not necessarily the same as your login password. If the account was password protected before you changed your gmail account password, then you need to use the same password you were using before to unlock the account in POP Peeper.

It's unclear from your wording, but if the security alert was from POP Peeper, then you should try the following:
1) The original password you used for password protection
2) The login-password that was last entered (it may not exist since gmail uses Oauth2, in which case it may have even been a much earlier password)
3) The "Admin" password

If all else fails, you can remove the account from the ini file:
1) From PP's main menu, select:
Tools / Options / Storage
2) Double-click the text "Ini Location" (this will open file explorer with the ini file selected)
3) Close the settings and EXIT PP
4) Open/Edit the ini file from step #2 (you may want to make a backup first if you're not too sure about what you're doing next)
5) You want to find the account's section, so search for:
[Act_AccountName]
So, for example, if the name of the account was 'Gmail53' you would search for [Act_Gmail53]

6) Find the end of this section -- there will be a blank line followed by another section in brackets [...]
7) Delete the entire [Act_Gmail53] section ie. that line plus everything up to but not including the next [...]
8) Save the file
9) Restart PP
-> The account should now be removed from the list

One other thing I'd like to mention here -- The next major version of POP Peeper (v6.0) will include password recovery for the account and admin password protection. For the record, it will not be enabled by default as it could be considered an extra security risk, but PP will email a temporary key which you can then enter into PP to unlock the account. I'll eventually get around to describing this in more detail, but the bulk of the work has already been coded.
Ambimom

Re: Changed Password -- Account Won't Open

Post by Ambimom »

Thank you!

I'm on a MAC using through Crossover. The ini was grayed out so I tried to do it via my MAC. I found the file and clicked on it. The file transformed into chinese characters for some reason. I deleted the file. Closed Poppeeper and opened it again. The account was still listed, but I tried entering the old password to enter. VOILA. THIS TIME THE PASSWORD WORKED. I deleted the account. It's gone!

Couldn't have managed without your help. It gave me the right hints of where and how.

Thanks again!