Gmail: "Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
CenturyBreak

Gmail: "Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)"

Post by CenturyBreak »

This just started today... I assume I'm getting this error with 2 Gmail accounts as 'Less secure app access' is no longer available. :|

Any way around it with POP Peeper or is the great run finally over?

Thanks in advance! :D
mjs

Re: Gmail: "Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)"

Post by mjs »

Try setting Oauth2* for each account:
1) Edit account.
2) Select Oauth2 using the button (adjacent) directly to the right of "Login name" (in the accounts edit window).
3) Continue with the ensuing steps (respond in the affirmative, select "Yes", if you get a Yes/No prompt) including a Google sign-in.
4) The last step is to "allow" POP Peeper access to the Google account by selecting the "allow" button at bottom-right of (sign-in) authorization page.
5) The last dialog (in POP Peeper) should be "Authentication successful" (this should clear your error).

*Please read (for further clarity) regarding this topic posted in the POP Peeper Announcements Board: Gmail password login (requires Oauth2) (announcements are located at the top of the forum).

Reminder - it is always helpful to include in your posts (when errors occur in POP Peeper) the full Error Overview (posting this information provides us with additional valuable information regarding issues).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've used Oauth2 for a few Hotmail accounts (yes, I still refer to it as Hotmail! 8) for a while in PP.

Unfortunately those steps (and the detail in your included link) no longer work for Gmail. When selecting Oauth2, the pop-up does still ask for my Google account, but clicking Next results in:

"Couldn’t sign you in

This browser or app may not be secure. Learn more

Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can try again to sign in."

I'm assuming you mean the error detail in Server Info? If so, it's:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Last DB Maint (global): 03/31/22 12:54:23 (62 days)

Last success: 06/02/22 08:15:16 (234 minutes ago)
Last error: 06/02/22 11:59:17 (10 minutes ago)
- Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)
Consecutive errors: 9

CAPABILITIES:
auth=oauthbearer, auth=plain, auth=plain-clienttoken, auth=xoauth, auth=xoauth2, children, id, idle, namespace, quota, sasl-ir, unselect, x-gm-ext-1, xlist, xyzzy

SSL Certificate Information:
Subject: /CN=imap.gmail.com
Issuer: /C=US/O=Google Trust Services LLC/CN=GTS CA 1C3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The error reporting is available via:
main menu: File / Error overview (this is the equivalent of pressing the yellow '!' button in PP's statusbar)
and then press the "copy log" button

I'm guessing that this would tell us that you have an older version of POP Peeper. The default in the current version will open your webbrowser; the embedded browser method usually doesn't work these days. You may be able to use the alternative "code" method; otherwise, you should update POP Peeper.
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Aha! :shock:

I was sure I still had "Automatically check for updates" checked! My first instinct earlier today was to check "About", and it showed 'current' and 'latest' to be in sync, so I figured that wasn't it... needless to say, OOPS!

All is well... thanks for nudging me in the right direction. :D