High memory usage

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
vizimajac

High memory usage

Post by vizimajac »

I tried the free version.
I set up to my gmail account. It has 42k mails.
When poppeeper starts up, it loads all the mail headers consuming 100% of 1 cpu core for minutes and 240 MB's of RAM. I think this is not what I'm expecting from a simple notifier.
mjs

Re: High memory usage

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum vizimajac,

I'm sure Jeff (POP Peeper developer) will have much more to say on the subject in as much, for one thing, there are settings that can mitigate processing time (i.e. cpu, memory usage) for POP Peeper.

That said, I would make just one point and that is to say, the very first time POP Peeper does a "mail check" for "new" messages (upon first installing POP Peeper) will not in any way be characteristic of when POP Peeper processes a "mail check" going forward once the POP Peeper Inbox has been populated with all of the messages that have accumulated over a considerable number of years (as in this case when all 42K messages are processed during the initial "mail check"). Once the initial "mail check" has been completed you should be noticing an entirely different experience from-then-on-out each time POP Peeper does a "mail check" for any "new" messages (that is, subsequent to initially installing POP Peeper).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: High memory usage

Post by Jeff »

Here are some suggestions:

1) Clean out your inbox. Regardless of what email client you decide to use, this will always be the most efficient solution. gmail.com makes it very easy to select all messages in your inbox with a couple of clicks and then you can move them into a different folder.

2) You can limit the number of messages that POP Peeper retrieves. Globally, this is under:
main menu: Tools / Options / Message Retrieval
It can also be changed per-account on the "Advanced" page (Advanced Options is necessary under Tools / Options / General)

Keep in mind that when you delete messages, old messages may re-appear in PP's list, and if those messages are unread, PP will notify them as new, which can obviously be confusing. The solution to this is to create a rule that will "ignore" older messages; however, if you keep all your old messages as read, then you don't need to worry about this.