Gmail no longer works with PopPeeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
penguin

Gmail no longer works with PopPeeper

Post by penguin »

Hi all, I know there are a few threads on this and an announcement but I'm still confused.

I followed the directions to fix and got the message that it failed. I have another 3rd party app called BlueMail that I use on my phone that works fine with Gmail still.

The only thing I can think is - Google considers PopPeeper an unsecure app so even though PopPeeper uses Oauth2 with IMAP, Google will not allow it.

I know this is a recent change, but I am wondering long term if there will be an effort to rectify this with Google ?

I have not tried the app password as I am not interested in 2 step authentication. Thanks.
mjs

Re: Gmail no longer works with PopPeeper

Post by mjs »

Hi penguin,

It appears you do have the current version of POP Peeper (based on previous posts of yours HERE) - but take a look at the topic linked below anyway to see if the discussion in the topic helps in regards to someone else that had issues with Oauth2 as well (due to an older version of POP Peeper): Gmail: "Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)". There are links in this topic that I presume you've looked at - if not please check these other links out too.

You mentioned above:
penguin wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:23 pm ... I know there are a few threads on this and an announcement but I'm still confused.
If you still have issues and are still "confused" - please clarify what it is you are confused about.

Also, in that topic linked above, there is a discussion regarding posting the Full Error Overview (and how to do this) - please also take a look at that and if you are still having issues please post the Gmail error you are getting. If you are still not sure how to post an error please refer to this topic: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. Doing this can help us to know more about what is happening when the Gmail account fails.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

To followup concerning your comment:
penguin wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:23 pm The only thing I can think is - Google considers PopPeeper an unsecure app so even though PopPeeper uses Oauth2 with IMAP, Google will not allow it.
To be sure, Oauth2 absolutely does work with Google and POP Peeper. (Google holds the perspective that most apps are not necessarily secure [-X, [to be fair] as do other software entities as well, unless it happens to be their own :lol: of course - however using Oauth2 generally resolves security concerns)

If you continue to have problems with this - please post what results you do get (screen-shot) when you attempt to set an account to use Oauth2.

Based on prior discussions on the board it appears you use Sandboxie.

If you continue to have issues with Oauth2 then you might try completely disabling Sandboxie just for the period of time to do the Oauth2. :idea:
It is noted HERE in another topic of yours that your boot issue was resolved by doing the following:
penguin wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm ... I removed all references to this program from the sandbox forced program and restrictions menu, and it started at boot just fine....
I'm suggesting simply disabling Sandboxie temporarily as opposed to going to the trouble of removing all POP Peeper references however... (doing this would at least determine if Sandboxie is involved).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
penguin

Post by penguin »

Thank you for the very detailed response, I really appreciate it.

My confusion mainly was that I believed Google listed PopPeeper an an insecure application so it would simply not work at all (as they say they would do) but you seem to be saying that is not true.

I do believe Sandboxie is complicating things here, but that's my problem.

So 2 updates so far. When I try to set up PP with Oauth2 it fails. When I close the browser window (Chrome) as instructed and return to PP I see this error:
oauth2 fail.JPG
oauth2 fail.JPG (15.83 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Next I ran everything unsandboxed with the same result, same error. The crazy thing is, then I deleted the gmail account, and re-added it using the old password authentication and it works perfectly. I feel like I'm taking stupid pills.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Good to hear your account is working again. =D>

As far as getting Oauth2 to complete successfully (just in case you have issues again at some point) I'll just say that in regards to your "Oauth was NOT successful" results screen-shot you posted (above); notice the reference to "You may need to try an alternate method" that you see in the dialog (in your screen-shot in your previous post above) - this has to do with using another approach to get a successful result.

In my first post, I linked to a post by Jeff where he mentioned (in part) this about Oauth2:
Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:34 pm .... The default in the current version will open your webbrowser; the embedded browser method usually doesn't work these days. You may be able to use the alternative "code" method....
(underline emphasis added.) Jeff is referring to the ("code") method pointed out in the screen-shot below as opposed to the default "Web browser" method (which as the "default" was what was likely at this time failing to complete successfully in your case.):
alternate code method.png
hence another method, specifically the alternate "code" method would have likely got you the "successful" outcome you seek (as illustrated in the screen-shot). Keep in mind (for the future) -- There are 3 methods that can be used to setup Oauth2 (as illustrated in the screen-shot) - in as much as the default (Web browser) method may sometimes have issues unfortunately of which in this case you always have the option to use a different method (i.e. the "code" method, pointed out above, is the most likely alternative in this case to work) by selecting either of the other two alternates to the default.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I actually tried those alternate methods last night - still no dice.

However...it appears the issue was on my end totally and it was my firewall (TinyWall) settings. I should know by now that user error is the most logical explanation.

I disabled TinyWall and the embedded browser worked immediately both with and without the sandbox.

My system is pretty restricted and security levels always come with a tradeoff. I think it was the windows svchost that I restrict to my local network only, maybe it needed to talk to Google and my settings stopped that.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're very welcome. Good to hear you've figured out the problem. =D>

So... it was TinyWall #-o -- I remember using this firewall many years ago (if I recall correctly, back when I was running Windows Vista and/or Windows XP and maybe before (perhaps Win98) and has been the only Firewall I've ever used outside of what Windows has provided - have opted for Windows built-in since Windows 7).

Thank you very much for getting back to us on what turned out to be the cause of the Oauth2 issue.

Btw, are you running v3.x (currently on v3.25) - v3 is a major update released back in early 2020 with a whole host of changes one of which is that this new milestone release can reportedly work very well side-by-side with Windows (but like most Firewalls - you've got to stay-on-your-toes. :wink:).

Addendum: Hmmm, :-k I'm thinking... maybe I'll try it out on my unsupported Windows 7 machine... (according to the TinyWall website, v3.2 still supports Win7)
Last edited by mjs on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: to add addendum comment
penguin

Post by penguin »

Yes, I am using TW 3.25, it is a great product.

I've actually turned off the Windows firewall because it is 100% unnecessary with TinyWall. Windows firewall has the annoying behavior of resetting your rules after updates to allow whatever it wants to connect to the web. Tinywall does not allow that nonsense.

The developer is active on the Wilder's forum and I've spoken to him many times. We even found a bug together that is on his list to fix in the next release.

It started like (you will recognize this...) hey your firewall is not working what's the problem?

I love TinyWall because the default is nothing is allowed to communicate and you can allow things as needed through exceptions and only specific ports.

Actually Oauth2 will fail to authenticate (as I found out 10 minutes ago) with Gmail if PopPeeper is not allowed to communicate outbound on the 443 HTTPS port. A quick check of the logs showed attempts that were blocked hence the failure.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the additional feedback regarding the Oauth2 issue. Image

And glad to hear you're on the current v3.25 for TinyWall - there are reportedly a number of "bug" and "performance" issues that have been resolved going from v3.2 to v3.25. (yea, it worked well for me as I recall - back-in-the-day...)
mjs

Post by mjs »

As I reminisce back-in-the-day (recall takes longer at my age :wink:) - I seem to remember, way-back-when, at some stage while using Avast Antivirus (after an Avast update as I recall) the Avast Email Shield (or some-part-thereof) started not playing well with TinyWall (as I recollect, it came down to discontinuing either that specific Email Shield or TinyWall) - so I opted for Avast at the time (and is the only reason I stopped using TinyWall). Btw, I have since ditched Avast (once again going with what Windows provides)....