Hide read emails

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jogi13

Hide read emails

Post by Jogi13 »

Hello, have a problem, read emails can not be hidden. Can press the buton but nothing happens. The read ones still remain visible. What can I do?
mjs

Re: Hide read emails

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Jogi13,

Hmm, it works for me. Please reboot your computer and then try the "Hide Read" button again.

If the issue persists after a reboot - then (from the main POP Peeper menu) please go to "File" (upper-right corner) and select "Error overview...". This will open the "Error overview" dialog (it will appear empty) - please click on the "Copy Log" button (click "OK" to the next prompt), close the the Interface, go to this topic in the forum and paste (right-click, select "Paste") the information into your reply in this topic. This will provide us with helpful information (in-part your versions of Windows and POP Peeper as well as additional information).

If you do the above you can skip questions 1 & 2 below (as they would then be redundant)

Just a few questions (assuming the issue persists after a reboot):
1) What version of Windows are you using?
2) What version of POP Peeper are you using?
3) What software do you use for security? (Firewall, Antivirus etc)
4) How long have you been using POP Peeper we need to know:
4a) Whether you just recently installed POP Peeper and this function has never worked or
4b) the "Hide Read" function has worked in the past but now it doesn't?
5) If the answer to #4b above is "Yes" - have you installed any software (i.e. security software) that would align with when this function stopped working? -- If you have what software would that be?
6) Anything else you can think of that could in some way impact POP Peeper?

Thanks.

Addendum: To be clear - "read" messages will display the "open" envelope icon as illustrated in this screen-shot example:
Click on the image to enlarge for better readability (use the browser back-arrow to return to the topic)
Click on the image to enlarge for better readability (use the browser back-arrow to return to the topic)
read messages.png (5.35 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Last edited by mjs on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited post to include the additional addendum information
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Follow-up (assuming the issue remains):
How many messages do you have in your POP Peeper Inbox?

I have approx 30K messages - I find that it takes around 40 seconds for the Inbox to render w/out the "read" messages getting displayed in my case. Also I notice (in my case) what appears to be a (consistent) momentary refresh of the Inbox early on (each time, during the process of hiding "read" messages) - however at that time POP Peeper has not yet completed the process of hiding the "read" messages - you need to wait a little longer for the process to complete (this, what appears as an intervening "refresh", does not occur in the opposite direction, that is displaying the "read" messages once again).

If the "Hide Read" button problem persists - try (from the main menu) going to "Messages" and then check (enable) the "Hide read messages" option to see if the process works using this method (of course if one works the other should as well however :-k).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have 30K messages and the process of toggling hide-read takes a few seconds, so the amount of time it takes is computer-dependent. Interestingly, it takes noticeably longer to hide the read messages than to unhide them. And sorting by a different column is virtually instant (although sorting has the advantage of knowing that no messages will be added/removed, which is where the performance bottleneck is).

Anyway, that's probably something that could be optimized.

In addition to mjs's questions, also let us know the total number of messages in PP (bottom-left of the main window).