Error!: Tech support please... "Miscellaneous issues Ini file: Failed to save temp file (22): ''"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Steven0

Error!: Tech support please... "Miscellaneous issues Ini file: Failed to save temp file (22): ''"

Post by Steven0 »

Trialware version 5.2.2.0 crc passed. Can't save any Options. .ini file had black square in read-only checkbox. Reset read-only. Tried clearing "data" from Options Storage data path - did not solve problem. Copied poppeeper.ini to "C:\Users\'Username'\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper" afterward. File had black square. reset it. Did not solve problem. After that, "data path" reverted to 'data'

Initial error message: Miscellaneous issues Ini file: Failed to save temp file (22): ''

Can you please tell me what to do? Reinstall? Black boxes are an issue on Drive C: in other places. Messages are not important to save. Don't know what to do. Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Error!: Tech support please... "Miscellaneous issues Ini file: Failed to save temp file (22): ''"

Post by Jeff »

If you only *copied* the file to AppData and the file still exists in "Program Files" then POP Peeper will find that one first (it always looks in the current folder first). You need to *move* the file so that it no longer exists in "Program Files". However, if your data folder is also in the Program Files, you're going to still have problems with data being saved even if certain settings will be able to save. Even if "messages are not important to save", you should still update the data path; if PP cannot save the messages, it has to re-download them each time, there's also other data like contacts.

Full instructions and your available options are in this FAQ:
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper/faq/?q=DataPath

Let us know if you still have a problem.
Steven0

Re: Error!: Tech support please... "Miscellaneous issues Ini file: Failed to save temp file (22): ''"

Post by Steven0 »

Thanks Jeff. I am reading the FAQ. I will try moving the .ini or deleting it from Program Files if copy is pointed to correctly. Would a reinstall over existing installation work? Maybe not with the read-onlies with black boxes. Could you tell me what they mean. This is a checkbox in file properties, and there is a black box in the read-only checkbox.

PP is not able to save the e-mails that it has checked for the next run.

Thanks for the help!
Steven

P.S. Anyone who knows an answer please tell me :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

In as much as you've asked for "anyone" to post an answer - I'll offer my 2-cents... :wink:

By enabling the "read-only" attribute as a result of checking the "read-only" check-box in file properties that file (or folder for that matter) will be restricted to read-from only, excluding the ability to be written-to, therefore nothing can then be saved to that file or folder.

That said, the reason it is recommended to move the PP files from the "Program Files" path is because this is the simplest way to bypass the impact of Windows "User Account Control" (UAC), a fundamental component of Microsoft's overall security to help reduce the risk of malware (which, due to using the "Program Files" path, is presumably the reason - as you've previously mentioned; "PP is not able to save the e-mails..." and moreover "save any Options").
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

I'm not exactly sure how I did it except I deleted the .ini file in Program Files (x86)\Pop Peeper, ran the OAuth reset, and afterwards got the setup program on screen. So I did the setup. Data is under Appdata, as well as .ini. Thanks for the help, been bothering me for several weeks.
Steven0

Post by Steven0 »

Actually I think I lucked out :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad you fixed it. To be clear and for anyone else reading this and may have a similar issue -- deleting the file from Program Files is precisely what you needed to do as mentioned in my previous reply: "You need to *move* the file so that it no longer exists in "Program Files"." Also, simply *deleting* the file is not recommended, as you must create a copy in the appropriate AppData folder first; ie. this is why the instructions are to "move" the file, which copies it and deletes the original.