Pop3 and IMAP disabled and MFA enabled. Is there a way to access?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Harryzz

Pop3 and IMAP disabled and MFA enabled. Is there a way to access?

Post by Harryzz »

My company recently disabled POP3 and IMAP of outlook.office.com mail server. The auto-forwarding was also disabled. I thought the Webmail (Hotmail/Outlook) option might be working and I subscripted it. But no luck. Any suggestion?
mjs

Re: Pop3 and IMAP disabled and MFA enabled. Is there a way to access?

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Harryzz,

If you have successfully subscribed to the "Webmail subscription" - using this WebMail Subscription page... then your account should be able to retrieve messages in POP Peeper (using the "Webmail" protocol). I'm not having any issues testing "Webmail" for a Hotmail account.

Are you getting any errors (using "Webmail")? -- if so, please post the error in this topic.

As mentioned, I just now switched one of my Hotmail accounts to the "Webmail" protocol (edited the account and changed the "Server type" from "IMAP" to "Hotmail/Outlook", entered the accounts Password in the "Password" prompt (just below "Login name:") and updated the account and it works for me (the specific accounts Inbox was repopulated with messages using the "Webmail" protocol).

Did you successfully "activate" the "Webmail subscription" you purchased by going to "Tools" > "Activation..."? You should see the "Webmail subscription" in the "Product" list and the "Status" should say "active" along with an expiry date (in the event the product has been successfully activated) -- if not select the product and press the "Activate" button (to activate) if the subscription displays in the Product list. If the subscription is not listed then you have not yet successfully subscribed (or perhaps the subscription process has not yet been fully implemented). (That said, I cannot attest to whether there may possibly be a delay as far as getting the subscription started behind the scene :-k - i.e. in regards to the process involved getting the subscription fulfilled)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Harryzz

Post by Harryzz »

Hi mjs,

Thank you for your reply.

I have activated the WebMail Subscription successfully (Device: CI-1048) and I followed the instruction. The setup is pretty simple, started with my email address and input an account name then selected Hotmail/Outlook as the Server Type. Input my email address and password. It prompted me "You have provided all information needed to set up your account". But I got

"Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.
Edit account: pp://EditAccount?Q2hhbXBpb25kYXRhIENvbQ=="

when checking email from the mailbox. The email address is an outlook email but uses the company's domain name. I don't know if this is the matter. I can access it via https://outlook.office.com/mail/.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Are you able to login to this same account you have setup in POP Peeper -- most importantly using the same "Password" you are using in POP Peeper (for this account) with the URL https://outlook.live.com/owa/?

The reason I'm asking about the "Password" your using in the POP Peeper setup is because the POP Peeper error you have posted would appear to suggest that the password you entered in POP Peeper for the relevant account is incorrect - which is the reason I'm asking if you are able to login on the web for this same account using that same password (entered in POP Peeper for this account).

It would be best to post the full "Error overview" (which can provide additional information) as opposed to doing a copy/paste of simply the error itself.
The error reporting is available by doing the following:
From the main menu go to File / Error overview (this performs the same as pressing the yellow '!' button in the POP Peeper status-bar whenever errors happen to occur in POP Peeper) and then press the "copy log" button to paste the full "Error overview" information in this topic.

Regarding:
Harryzz wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:36 am .... The email address is an outlook email but uses the company's domain name.....
:? I don't personally understand how an MSN (Microsoft) account (that uses Hotmail/Outlook/Live etc domains) can involve a company's domain name that would be different than any domains MSN uses)

Btw, as a new forum member, we on the Esumsoft Team recommend you take a look at the following topic when you have the time: Information for new users and forum members. The article contains important, helpful information for new forum members (including providing "Error Overview" information, that can be very useful, in the event of POP Peeper errors). If you have any questions or comments, always feel free to let us know.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Harryzz

Post by Harryzz »

Yes, I can log in to it through https://outlook.live.com/owa/ with the same password. I am sure I input the correct password in Pop Peeper as I tried multiple times. The mail server enabled MFA, so I need to input a six-digit code generated from the Authy app. It also asks me if it is a work/school account or a personal account before inputting a password when logging through the website. Here is the error message copied from the Pop Peeper.
"
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.2.2.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.14
IMAP: 5.2.2.0
SendMail: 5.2.2.0
Profile Picture: 5.2.2.0
AntiJunk: 5.2.2.0
Spell Checker: 5.2.2.0
Trusted Sites: 5.2.2.0
PPTweaker: 5.2.2.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Users\Herry\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
xxxx Com [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 4]
- Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password. Edit account: pp://EditAccount?Q2hhbXBpb25kYXRhIENvbQ==
"
Thanks
Harryzz

Post by Harryzz »

I think I know how an outlook email can have a custom domain suffix:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... -worldwide
mjs

Post by mjs »

OK - with the new information you've provided regarding the "login name" (you're using), it would appear that the reason you're getting this specific error in POP Peeper is because of using a "login name" as described. I had assumed the POP Peeper error that you have been getting: "Check your Login Name and Password" had suggested the "password" you entered in POP Peeper was likely incorrect (in as much as the error is suggesting either the "login name" or "password" is the problem) based on my assumption that you would have been aware of the "login name" and the "login name" was presumed to be, shall we say, structurally "conventional".

In as much as this is something new to me and perhaps because it is, let us say, a more "unconventional" (for lack of a better term) type of "login name" than what POP Peeper is perhaps currently designed to handle; I can't say one way or the other as to whether this type of "login name" will work in POP Peeper's current iteration (i.e. whether or not there might be a work-around). :-k

So as it stands now, we'll need to wait for additional feedback from Jeff (the POP Peeper developer) on this issue.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper's webmail protocol is not designed to handle anything that requires user interaction (e.g. captchas or 2FA). What I recommend you try instead is using a separate "proxy" which should allow PP to work with MS365:
http://davmail.sourceforge.net/
The post is old, but the utility continues to be updated. If you try this, please let us know if this works for you or not, as it seems that this policy is becoming more common * and I'd like to know if this is a viable solution or not.

If you'd like a refund on the webmail subscription, please email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and include a link to this topic for reference.

* mjs -- maybe you were right about a certain discussion we had a couple weeks ago...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Very good news!, it has just been reported this morning in another topic in the forum that DavMail works under similar conditions as discussed in this topic - link to topic (reply): https://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtop ... 079#p40079. - so apparently, as reported in the past, it appears that the DavMail Gateway continues to be a viable solution as reported today, thus should presumably work in this similar situation as well. :wink:

So, Harryzz, let us know if DavMail works for you too (check out the 2nd link above for helpful details).
Harryzz

Post by Harryzz »

Hi mjs and Jeff,

Thank you for the advice. I spent some time on the Davmail this afternoon. I can't get it working for me eventually because of the insane security setting of the mail server of my company, but it might work for others.

I downloaded the 64 bits version of Davmail from http://davmail.sourceforge.net/download.html, and 64x Java from https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. Davmail seems not compatible well with the latest Java and it popped up an error saying it can't find a suitable version of java. As someone suggested I ran davmail.jar instead of davmail64.exe from the C:\Program Files\DavMail folder, and it works. The configuration is straight straightforward (refer to https://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=3819), the only thing different is that I selected O365Interactive instead of EWS for Exchange Protocol, which opened an authentication window that let me enter the password and go through 2FA check.

I failed at the last step. It asked me to send a request to the admin of the mail server to ask:
  • Sign in and read user profile
  • Access mailboxes as the signed-in user via Exchange Web Services
I think our admin has closed all the possibilities of using any mail clients other than Outlook.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That's unfortunate. But I also agree with your assessment. Back when I tried to add support for Exchange, someone had given me access to their account (it was a university, I believe) and I ended up getting a similar stop-page at the end. I filled out the information and submitted to the admin, but the user never heard anything back.

These days, I suspect Microsoft has as much if not more to do with this situation than the organization. If you're willing to reach out to your company's IT dept and try to get any insights into why they've disabled basic email support, I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say (as long as this doesn't fall under any company privacy policies, etc.)