Suggestions

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
krzysiobal

Suggestions

Post by krzysiobal »

I have been using MS Outlook Express for years. Now, after the Google stopped supporting username/password login, I started considering change of the client or email provider
I found this wonderful program, after some tuning I started liking it, I considering even donating for support it, but there are a few issues that I just can't stand

1) IMAP - as far as I see, now the only way of connecting to GMAIL is IMAP. I have been using POP for all my life and it was always important for me to have my emails on my computer for ever, so that nobody will ever remove them. But it looks like IMAP is not how it works. Even if the Pop Peeper receives the email, when I login to gmail via www and remove the message from inbox, it also disappears from Pop Peeper.
isn't there any way to forbid it? I dont want my emails to disappear when google will came up with wonderful idea of removing mails that are old. What about some kind of one-way IMAP synchronization?
I see there is "archive function" that creates EML files but this is just stupid, because now the same email is stored separately as EML in archive and in inbox, which wastes disk space

2) preview of email in the same window - I don't believe if nobody else suggested this is a MUST. Opening new window to just see email, really?

3) Database Storage - Is storing the whole database in one file really a good idea? What if I am using some kind of backup software that makes differential backups (that is, files that have "archived" attribute are copied to backup and the attribute is then cleaned until next modification of the file). Your mailbox files will be stored every time. Really, better would be to divide the mailbox into separate files, maybe every month = new file.

4) When I sent a message, it did not appear in the Outbox tab.
I have both "save outgoing messages to local storage (outbox folder)" and "save sent messages to local storage (sent folder)" checked, but outbox is just empty (those emails were saved as EML files on hard disk in "sent" folder, but are not shown in Pop Peeper)

5) I just want a simple program for reading/sending email and thats what I expect from Pop Peeper. I think the Anti Junk feature with all its options (buttons for voting as Junk/Legit, email coloring depending on the Junk/Legit/Unknown status) should be disabled by default, it creates additional mess (at least for me). It took me quite time to search how disable that coloring.

Those are just my hints after few days of using the program, anyway thank you for creating it, it is really great in those hard times!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Suggestions

Post by Jeff »

krzysiobal -- welcome to the forums :)

> 1) IMAP - as far as I see, now the only way of connecting to GMAIL is IMAP.

erm, this is awkward, but you're replying (off-topic) in a thread that's about adding support for POP3 ;)
(I've moved this post from its original thread)

> I have been using POP for all my life and it was always important for me to have my emails on my computer for ever, so that nobody will ever remove them. But it looks like IMAP is not how it works.

It's all about implementation. IMAP can do everything that POP3 can do, but most email clients are setup so that IMAP will synchronize with the server. Alternatively, POP3 is used to permanently store the messages locally. But these are merely expectations of how the protocols are used and not necessarily limitations of the protocols (well, POP3 certainly does have limitations that lead it to be the one used for permanent local storage).

> Even if the Pop Peeper receives the email, when I login to gmail via www and remove the message from inbox, it also disappears from Pop Peeper.

This would be the same even for POP3. POP Peeper is an email notifier and is not designed to permanently store your email messages. If you are looking for something to replace Outlook so that you can permanently store your messages, POP Peeper is not that utility.

My general advice for people who want to use POP Peeper as their sole email client (which, for the record, I have been doing for over 10 years) is to periodically move old messages into another folder. This cleans up PP's interface and you still have access to the messages. As far as I know, gmail doesn't delete old messages (unless you're running out of storage, maybe? A quick search yields results in which people are saying that gmail doesn't delete messages, but in reply to questions asking why gmail is deleting messages. I doubt gmail does and that there is another explanation, but you can draw your own conclusions). If you don't trust gmail then, yeah, you should use another client to permanently store email. Email notifiers have traditionally been an addition to the email client, and not a replacement.

> I see there is "archive function" that creates EML files but this is just stupid, because now the same email is stored separately as EML in archive and in inbox, which wastes disk space

This is not meant to be used for every single email. It's meant to have a record of important messages. As mentioned above, since PP isn't designed to store your email, eventually messages will leave the inbox and now you still have a permanent message available.

> 2) preview of email in the same window - I don't believe if nobody else suggested this is a MUST. Opening new window to just see email, really?

It's been suggested. It's on the to-consider/do list. It's a major overhaul and there have been more important and/or simpler features.

> 4) When I sent a message, it did not appear in the Outbox tab.

The 'outbox' is not equivalent to 'sent'. Outbox is traditionally for pending/queued messages -- once PP successfully sends the messages, it's removed from the outbox. If a message fails to send, you'll find it in the outbox; or if you use "send later" it will be there until the next mail check, when any pending messages will be sent.

> saved as EML files on hard disk in "sent" folder, but are not shown in Pop Peeper)

Originally, it was just so you'd have a copy. Later, I added another product (Sent Mail Viewer, part of the Plus Pack) so that people could more easily access them. But this is another case where IMAP has an advantage -- sent messages can be saved to the server. In that case, POP Peeper Pro/PlusPack can then view any imap folder like a regular account if that suits you better (and there will be another method in PPv6).

> email coloring depending on the Junk/Legit/Unknown status

I have to admit, that's probably one of the more contentious points that users have... If you were looking to change that, where would you look and how would you like to see it labelled?