Messages Remain In PP After Opening In Outlook

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mistertee2

Messages Remain In PP After Opening In Outlook

Post by mistertee2 »

So when I receive gmail messages in PP I screen them and delete whatever I don't want. Then I select my email client, Outlook 365, to retain and store the wanted messages. In the past, once these message were opened in Outlook, they would drop off the message list in PP. However, for some reason they now remain. I can't delete them in PP since they are IMAP and will then be deleted in Outlook as well.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Messages Remain In PP After Opening In Outlook

Post by Jeff »

What you want is the "traditional" behavior of using an email client (Outlook, in this case) and to do that, what you need to do is:
1) Use the POP3 protocol in Outlook
2) Make sure that Outlook is set to delete messages after it retrieves them

That's very likely the setup that you were using before. There may be ways to do something similar while keeping Outlook to use IMAP, but switching to POP3 is the most straight-forward way. (note: Keep using IMAP in POP Peeper)
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

Yes, that's exactly what I want. And in fact, this is how I had it set up previously. But for some reason, Outlook would no longer load gmail messages using pop3. So I deleted the accounts and created new IMAP versions. Problem in going back to pop3 is, apparently all the messages currently stored in Outlook will be deleted if I delete the IMAP accounts (according to the 'warning' message). I've got hundreds of saved emails at risk. Is there a workaround?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Perhaps this "Convert from an IMAP account to POP3" page may be of help (there is a search link below that might provide additional clarity).

FYI, doing a search (i.e. "how to avoid losing messages in outlook when changing from imap to pop3?") is where I got the above page from, which produced a list of many other similar pages - you may want to take a look at other examples in the specific search linked (for your convenience) in this paragraph as well. :wink:

If there's anything you're reticent about in any of the search results, then it would probably be best to wait for Jeff to get back to you on this. :-k
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Instead of trying to convert the account (without having much experience with Outlook and not knowing what the warning message is referring to, it may be a good idea to play it safe), you may want to try creating another account in Outlook.

However, if Outlook can't support POP3 for whatever reason (perhaps related to the now-required Oauth2), then what you may try doing instead is to move messages from the Inbox to another folder -- as far as PP is concerned, this would have the same effect and PP would remove the messages. While I don't think that this would be too much trouble to do manually (e.g. Ctrl+A to select all, then drag&drop to another folder), it may even be possible to setup a rule/filter within Outlook to do it automatically.
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

Thank you @jeff and @mjs. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Seems like outlook still supports pop3, but the issue might be with/google/gmail protocol. I'm searching to see if has recently changed. My issues began about a week ago.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Gmail requires Oauth2 (reference). Since you said Outlook works with Imap, it seems that your version of Outlook at least supports it; but it may not support it for POP3, as Gmail added that later. You may still be able to use POP3 with an app-specific password (or "app password") in Outlook.
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

I'm running the latest version of Outlook. I have several pop3 accounts from domains other than gmail and they are working just fine. For the moment, I'm forwarding important gmail messages to one of my non-gmail pop3 accounts. Kind of a PITA but a workaround none the less.