Oauth2 for POP - Gmail recent change

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
crabboy

Re: Oauth2 for POP - Gmail recent change

Post by crabboy »

So far, so good.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

I am having trouble sending email from gmail accounts in PP 5.4 . What settings do I need to change?
mjs

Post by mjs »

What error are you getting? - that may help us to know what needs to change.

Presumably the messages getting sent are ending up in your "Outbox"?

The error reporting is available by doing the following:
From the main menu go to File / Error overview (this performs the same as pressing the yellow '!' button in the POP Peeper status-bar whenever errors happen to occur in POP Peeper) and then press the "copy log" button to paste the full "Error overview" information into your reply in this topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

The main part of the error message:

"Sever returned: Username and password not accepted. "

The error message will not let me cut and paste.
I assume this has to do with gmail demanding 0auth2, but I do not see where I can adjust that in SMTP settings.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Try these settings for "Send Mail":
Gmail POP3 outgoing.png
Gmail POP3 outgoing.png (4.71 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Tried. Did not work.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Addition: even though it said the forwarding failed, it ended up in my inbox!
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

No, I was wrong. Another email from the same source.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've confirmed that the problem is because the account is using POP3. Expect a fix (v5.4.1) soon-ish. Shooting for Friday unless some unforeseen...
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Looking forward. I can successfully send email from Thunderbird (I rarely use PP to send), so there is no rush for me.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

krzysiobal -- your message has been moved and replied to here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=40131
Popey

Post by Popey »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 pm
That being said, I have decided to include Oauth2 for POP3. This will work for Gmail, Yahoo and AOL accounts; Outlook doesn't support it. This will be in POP Peeper v5.4.
Thank You from a long time user of PP pro :D
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

5.4.1 ; so far so good.
Gelip

Post by Gelip »

Where can I download the trial version 5.4.1 - I would like to test OAuth2 via POP3 on gmail ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Gelip,

You can opt into the early release (beta channel) from the main menu by going to: "Tools" > "PPtweaker..." > "TroubleShooting" then check the "Opt into early release / beta updates" box (at the bottom of the Interface) to enable this option. (Note: this optional setting is available for PRO users only)
Gelip

Post by Gelip »

@mjs
I still don't know how to download version 5.4.1?
  • I installed version 5.2.2 Pro
  • I have enabled the Opt Into Early Release in the settings
  • After restarting the program, I choose Help > About POP Peeper... > Check Version
  • I click Download and info appears that no available updates
no_update.png
If I click the Website button ... this is the link to version 5.4.1 but after clicking it is info that the page was not found:
page_not_found.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

Check to make sure you (still) have this checked:
beta updates enabled.png
as you're not getting the bolded part of the Interface (as displayed below) like you should have (it's missing in the screen-shot you posted):
your screen-shot is missing the bolded line.png
your screen-shot is missing the bolded line.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Also make sure you have the "Automatically check for updates" setting checked (enabled) in "Help">"About":
'Automatically check for updates' setting.png
... although this shouldn't be necessary to do a "Check Version" successfully.

If you found that the "Opt into early release..." setting was not enabled (checked) as illustrated in the first screen-shot even though you are certain you had enabled this option then perhaps your setting changes are not remaining "saved" - if this is the case then:
Please post where you have installed POP Peeper - to find this, go to (from the main menu) "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" (this information is at the top of the "Storage" page).

Refer specifically to the "Data path"; if that path includes "C:\Program Files (x86)\" or "C:\Program Files\" then you will need to move the POP Peeper files in as much as POP Peeper does not have access to write to (update) these files (due to Windows UAC, if these paths are used).

You will find detailed instructions on how to do this including your available options in this FAQ:
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper/faq/?q=DataPath

Please get back to us with any questions you may have or if you continue to experience problems.
Gelip

Post by Gelip »

I am using WinXP SP2 64-bit and there is no UAC there. Opt into Early Release is checked.

I uninstalled the program and installed it again, but now I do not have the Pro version, but the regular one and a window appears that the test version has expired:
expired.png
not_pro.png
How do I uninstall the program completely so that I can use the 30-day Pro version ??? Something is left in the Windows registry?
--------------------------------
Edited

I also tried Win7 SP1 Ultimate and got Internet Error:
internet_error.png
To solve this problem I had to enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 in internet settings but still no access to 5.4.1 version :x :x
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You need to have a registered Pro *license*, not just have pro installed (even if still in trial). I've added this notation for the post-v5.4.1 release. I've also grayed out the option if it's not available (this capability wasn't originally available since there hadn't otherwise been a need for PPtweaker to know that kind of information; but I had subsequently added this capability for another reason, so it's easy enough to do it now).

But, barring some unforeseen incident, v5.4.1 is planned to be publicly released this week.