restore fails unless admin

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

restore fails unless admin

Post by gordon »

Hi,
When I run restore it will fail unless I run as admin.
I did not find that admin is required.
When restore fails, it does not tell me which folder is the problem :-(
So:
1) Is it necessary to run restore ad admin?
2) If not, please report the failing folder.
3) If yes, it should be reported when starting restore.
thx
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: restore fails unless admin

Post by Jeff »

1) Is it necessary to run restore ad admin?
It depends. If there are any files being restored to the "Program Files" folder, then yes. This condition can usually be avoided by unchecking the "Backup Program Folder" checkbox, and installing POP Peeper separately.
2) If not, please report the failing folder.
When there's a failure, it should.... hrm.... yes, the restore logging may be less than desirable. I'll have to take a look at that. However, if you press Ctrl+Shift+L (while on the 'Restore' page), you may get some extra details about the failure in the log file.
3) If yes, it should be reported when starting restore.
That might be possible.
gordon

Post by gordon »

So if I ran backup with the "Backup Program Folder" checked
and then ran restore as admin
everything would be ok?

Or do I need to uncheck "Backup Program Folder" and run restore as myself?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Either method should work.

One suggestion, and basically required if you do the 2nd choice (uncheck "backup program folder") -- before you do your next backup, either delete the original backup zip file or backup to a different filename.

The reason for this: when POP Peeper backs up, it simply copies any current files into the zip file. What this means is that any old files that no longer exist (in your current files) will still be there (in the zip file), so for that reason, it's a good idea to occasionally create a new backup file to get rid of those lingering files.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:11 pm One suggestion, and basically required if you do the 2nd choice (uncheck "backup program folder") -- before you do your next backup, either delete the original backup zip file or backup to a different filename.
The zip file is almost uniquely named with day: PP_Backup_20220706.zip
Jeff wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:11 pm The reason for this: when POP Peeper backs up, it simply copies any current files into the zip file. What this means is that any old files that no longer exist (in your current files) will still be there (in the zip file), so for that reason, it's a good idea to occasionally create a new backup file to get rid of those lingering files.
I can see how lingering files can be unnecessary, however if they cause an unexpected
problem, that would be a bug, right?
Or is it occasional name collisions are reduced with fewer lingering files?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Not a bug as much as potentially undesirable behavior. However, it does make the backup perform faster.