Gmail Oauth2

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

Gmail Oauth2

Post by bbqbrisket »

I keep trying to reset this with the Oauth2 but it's not working.
The popup menu keeps hanging up whether I choose one of the options or choose nothing.
pp hangup.jpg
Last edited by mjs on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to ensure privacy
bbqbrisket

Re: Gmail Oauth2

Post by bbqbrisket »

After deleting the account and trying to add it back in again as new, I get another hangup screen.
Attachments
gmail please wait.JPG
Tahtu

Post by Tahtu »

I checked it with Pop Peeper v5.4.1, and it works fine for me.

For me, it looks like, your Pop Peeper.exe cannot access to your internet connection. Did you check this?

(You can check this with menu Help -> About -> Check version.)
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket - have you recently added or changed any security settings of any kind on your computer (i.e. Virus protection and/or Firewall etc.)?

If so, try looking into this.

If not, have you tried rebooting your computer?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yep, previous posts nailed it -- firewall would be my first guess; both Oauth2 and account auto-config will request data from 3rd party websites via https.

However, a better test in POP Peeper to make sure your firewall is configured is:
main menu: File / Error overview -> Web Test
Server response should be 200 and the data should be a current timestamp (PDT)
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

I don't really know what to make of it.
I have 7 Hotmail accounts and do not have this issue.

The Gmail accounts is periodically hanging up and then refuses to check emails.
I will have to go in and reset the Oauth2 and then sometimes it accepts it and sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it will give the Error message and then if I go back and check mail again, it will go through and the Error message
is gone.
I do not believe it's the internet as all Hotmail accounts have no problems whatsoever.
I'm no sure what to look for in the Firewall as there is no consistant pattern.
Thanks
mjs

Post by mjs »

Did you try the test Jeff suggested to do?

What I get:
The results are good for me as I get the Server response 200 and the time is accurate in my case
The results are good for me as I get the Server response 200 and the time is accurate in my case
web test for me.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
The fact that you are not having any issues with MS accounts however makes me think that this test will likely produce good results for you.
bbqbrisket wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:04 pm ... Sometimes it will give the Error message....
What "Error message" are you getting? (I don't recall you mentioning this before)
If you get this error message again - please capture and post into this topic (removing any personal information to protect your privacy). Please, do whatever it is that produces this "Error message" you've now mentioned and then capture it and post in this topic.

In regards to other previous questions:
1) So then I take it (based on your post) that you have not made any security updates, additions or setting changes that would correspond to the time-frame when this specific issue started?

2) Have you tried rebooting? (this was another question).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Have not tried the test yet but here's the error msg.
Attachments
g mail error msg.JPG
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You'll need to email me (support at esumsoft dot com) so we can see more details about the problem.

In the email, also let me know:
- Is this your only gmail account, or do you have others that work fine or have the same problem?
- How often does the problem occur? (e.g. it happens more often than not, several times a day, once every several days, etc.)
- If this wasn't always a problem, can you think of anything that may have changed when it started becoming a problem (e.g. antivirus or other security-related updates, etc.)
- Any other info that may be relevant
- Also include a link to this forum topic for reference
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

I tried 1 more time before going to bed last night and it was successful on acceting Oauth2.
This morning when I checked it, PP was still able to login for messages without any errors.
Why, I don't know why it's still working or it didn't before. So I will keep an eye on it throughout the
day to see if it holds. If not, I will get back.
thanks
Norm
mjs

Post by mjs »

If it turns out to be resolved, it could be that Gmail Servers had been having intermittent issues in your area for awhile....
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Still holding up well. Never figured out the exact prob.