I'm getting: Deactivation of TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and unencrypted access

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Shapeup

I'm getting: Deactivation of TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and unencrypted access

Post by Shapeup »

Hello Folks, got a email from mail.com saying the above. I wonder if it has to do with pop peeper? Thank you kindly.

It also says: We are contacting you because one or more of your devices or programs uses the TLS 1.0 and/or TLS 1.1 encryption protocols to connect to our mail.com email servers, or is using an unencrypted connection. This involves either access via SMTP (sending emails) or retrieval via POP3/IMAP (receiving emails).

Unfortunately, the TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 encryption protocols are outdated and no longer meet current security standards. To protect your email communications, soon we will no longer allow access to our mail.com servers with these outdated protocols. Unencrypted access will also no longer be possible.

What does this mean for you?

After the protocols have been deactivated, the transfer of emails between your affected device or program and our mail.com servers will no longer work; i.e. no emails will be transmitted to or from your mail.com email account using TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1. Furthermore, unencrypted SMTP/IMAP/POP3 connections will no longer function. In other words, as of Oct. 5, 2022, it will only be possible to connect if TLS 1.2 or TLS 1.3 encryption is in place.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: I'm getting: Deactivation of TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and unencrypted access

Post by Jeff »

You should make sure that any of your mail.com accounts are using TLS -- edit each account in POP Peeper and make sure that the SSL dropdown is either "STARTTLS" or "SSL/TLS", then switch to the "send mail" page and confirm there, as well.

As long as you're using POP Peeper v5 (or probably v4), it does support TLS 1.2. Older versions (PP v3) do not.

I've been checking a mail.com account for over 1 week since I heard reports of this and I have not received any messages from mail.com regarding TLS. I started with STARTTLS and later switched to SSL/TLS, so either one should work.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Shapeup,

Yea, got the same message on 9-12-22...

Make sure you're using TLS 1.2 (steps below).

Go to Internet Options:
Enter "Internet Options" in Search Box to get to your Windows TLS settings.
Enter "Internet Options" in Search Box to get to your Windows TLS settings.
Select the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to the TLS settings at bottom of dialog:
Make sure you've enabled (checked) TLS 1.2.
Make sure you've enabled (checked) TLS 1.2.
- you shouldn't have any issues in this case.

Addendum: Didn't see your post above Jeff....
Last edited by mjs on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add "Addendum" comment
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The "Use TLS 1.2" option in Internet Settings (as pointed out by mjs) only affects https-based communication, it does not impact POP Peeper's POP3 or IMAP SSL capabilities, which is provided wholly by the SSL plugin; although it would affect Oauth2 since it is https-based (mail.com does not support Oauth2, so is therefore not relevant in this case).
Shapeup

Post by Shapeup »

Ok thank you kindly for your help All, I needed to format the computer and downloaded a new version of Pop Peeper (5) and everything is enabled properly, so we'll see how it works, but thanks again.