New message scroll to top

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Snupple

New message scroll to top

Post by Snupple »

Howdy,
I have PP/Pro etc v4..

When I have scroll down my message list so that the most recent messages are now off the list (at the top), is there a way when a new message comes it that it will scroll to the top of the list?

(hopefully that makes sense)
mjs

Re: New message scroll to top

Post by mjs »

Thanks Snupple, for posting the suggestion.

To clarify, you're requesting POP Peeper to auto-scroll to the top of the Inbox list every time a new message arrives in the POP Peeper Inbox.

Well, there's one thing I can say about that - it certainly would have to be an optional setting because I would think a number of users wouldn't necessarily want this behavior in as much as this might be considered by some to be an annoyance for POP Peeper to reposition the Inbox each and every time a new message arrives (keeping in mind IMAP with IDLE/Push enabled accounts can have new messages arrive any time outside of scheduled Mail Checks) in as much as the user would then have to scroll back down (every time) to where they left-off before the new message(s) arrived. (I know I personally would not use the "optional setting" myself).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My first thought was the same as mjs. Then I thought, "what if it always reset the position to the top when you minimize/restore POP Peeper?" And I realized that there's still a problem --

I read messages bottom-up so that I read the older new messages first. This means that when I'm done reading/processing my mail, the top message is usually selected. When I receive new email and open POP Peeper, that previously-top message is still selected -- this means that the oldest new message is one up and keeping that message selected makes it very easy for me to see where the new messages start.

You might argue: "well, if PP set the top selection as soon as you minimized (before it received new email), then this implicit behavior would still work."

But then: what about the people that sort in ascending order and like to read email top-down, they might want the *last* message selected instead of the top.

Things are never as simple as they seem, especially when changing existing behavior :) But, it is something that I will keep in mind and like mjs said, it could be made optional.
Snupple

Post by Snupple »

Wow, thanks for the detailed replies!