mail.com issue

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Montagar

mail.com issue

Post by Montagar »

All of my mail.com accounts are failing with the following error. I am able to connect to the accounts via a browser.

--- Error ---
XXXXX@mail.com [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmx.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 4]
- Bad Connection

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.4.1.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.17
IMAP: 5.4.1.0
SendMail: 5.4.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.4.1.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: mail.com issue

Post by Jeff »

The problem is likely on mail.com's end -- I'm not able to make a connection on that server/port via telnet (and imap.mail.com:993 is correct per official settings). No problem connecting to smtp.mail.com:587.

Strangely, I cannot find much evidence that there's a problem (there's a slight increase in user-reported issues on downdector.com). I'd recommend contacting mail.com directly to let them know that there's an issue.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Of my six mail.com accounts - none have been giving me any errors in POP Peeper other than just one account that produced a "Bad Connection" error only one time that cleared (and remained cleared) after the very next Mail Check.

When you attempt to login on the web (via a browser) and the login fails what are the results (message) you get? (my guess is the errors will clear as was the case for my one account).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

hm, I had tried multiple times (probably 10+) in the span of 10-15 minutes before and never got a single success. After I saw mjs' post, I tried again -- still no luck on the first attempt, but then I was able to connect several times in quick succession, so it does appear to be intermittent. Assuming you have IDLE enabled, once a connection is made it may be more likely to keep the connection alive.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

@mjs... just to be clear, I CAN connect to all the accounts via my browser.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:04 pm ... Assuming you have IDLE enabled, once a connection is made it may be more likely to keep the connection alive.
Yea, I checked and for the record I am using IDLE/Push on all my mail.com accounts.

Still no errors on any mail.com accounts...
Montagar wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:14 pm @mjs... just to be clear, I CAN connect to all the accounts via my browser.
OK - for some reason I read it wrong, that you were unable to connect via browser.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Still happening. I'm in the US Midwest... maybe it's regional.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm still seeing significant connection issues in both PP and independent checks (telnet, and is my primary testing tool for this issue). Even when telnet connects it's sluggish before it does (ie. not immediate like you'd expect).

The lack of public information is concerning, but there are 2 sites of note:
- downdetector (as I noted yesterday) -- Even though there doesn't seem to be significant users reporting downtime, the percentages of "most reported problems" has changed. Yesterday, "server connection" was in the 10-17% range, now it's 63% -- so I think people are reporting problems, there's just not enough users to make a dent.

- twitter replies -- there is at least one reply that directly suggests they are also having issues since Sunday.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, I forgot to mention -- a long time ago, it was possible to use imap.gmx.com. I tried this and it was able to connect, but I get a "authentication failed" error. In my notes for this, I have it noted that it may only be for premium users. So if you're paying for mail.com service, try that and let us know if it works.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

All of my accounts are free so I get the same "authentication failed" errors when attempting to use imap.gmx.com

Clearly they are having issues with the free side of things. lol
mjs

Post by mjs »

FWIW, I am using the (free) "imap.mail.com" Server Type and still getting zero errors since my last post at 12:38 pm yesterday when I reported not getting any errors as of that time (noting that I have IDLE/Push enabled) - so that's 24 (more) hours (since my last post) with no errors on all six of my mail.com accounts.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

All my accounts are now working.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My mail.com tests are also working successfully now.