'Failed to verify after EHLO'

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: 'Failed to verify after EHLO'

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:25 pm ...Regardless, the sequence is correct after that, it's just the initial screens may differ based on your browser's cookies and whatever security Google forces upon you...
Absolutely and... sorry for any confusion #-o - my screen-shots were not meant to be all inclusive (see my previous 2 separate comments pulled from my prior post on this that are explained in more detail in the added points #1 and #2 subsequent to my 2 culled comments from my previous post):
mjs wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 pm ... I just now successfully added a new Gmail account to POP Peeper on Windows 7 (a few encountered steps during the process illustrated below)....
... 3) When authorizing POP Peeper you should get the following dialogs (following the expected POP Peeper prompts to get authorization started)...
bolded parts above is intended to say:
1) "a few encountered steps..." meaning not all encountered steps are referenced but rather more specifically a "few" steps are illustrated... Or rather, just the steps that occur that are more specific to authorizing POP Peeper (which is basically in regards to the issues reportedly encountered by trev19)
2) "following the expected POP Peeper prompts.... " which is to say my screen-shots are "following" previous "expected" prompts or to clarify further there (will be) are prompts that occur prior to what I've posted to get things started up to when the authorization specific steps occur.
Hence the screen-shots are intended to represent the highlighted parts of the "authorization" process that I personally encountered (and in addition, provide the evidence the process does work on Windows 7).
Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:25 pm...But then, mjs is known to have these kinds of weird issues ;)
No doubt about that!.... :lol: ... I AM absolutely infamous for experiencing a wide array of various "weird" issues :roll: (... keeps things interesting)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
trev19

Post by trev19 »

I am proud to be one of the 'weird issues' you experience lol!

OK - well for some reason I couldn't access your site earlier, but OK now.
I am indeed on v5.41 - I had recently checked it as latest, so the later one may have come out after this started? So tomorrow I will update it as a first step.

One problem MAY be that I do not give Google my phone number for 2-step verification. Mainly because being a suspicious xxxx I suspect they are far more interested in selling my phone number than they are in securing my email. And even if they aren't, so many of these sites get hacked (and that's the ones we know about) it's one thing your email details being accessed, another if the phone number goes with it.
Anyway - that's why I stick to gmail - and mail.com if it had worked - for any new accounts. Because you do not have to provide a phone number. One thing to point out - as I think I mentioned, the tests with the new email were done WITH AVG switched off. AVG seemed to be the issue with hotmail - but not with gmail.

However - tomorrow (or maybe weekend) I will read through thoroughly your posts, and do the things listed while wide awake and brain in gear, and report back on Monday....
Sorry to be a pain - but these little journeys of discovery are what make life worth living aren't they?
(Don't answer that....!)
mjs

Post by mjs »

To be clear trev19 - you may or may not get (I venture to say actually probably not) the first ("authorization" dialog) screen-shot that I posted on the previous page (to confirm you are you) or the dialog to confirm you (assuming you might get a prompt of this nature at all) may possibly be different than (that is a variation of) what I posted hence use a different way to confirm you are you that (depending upon how your Email account was created) may or may not even require a phone number (to be sure, what I posted may in fact be more of my infamous "weirdness"). So, in retrospect, it would be better to disregard the first screen-shot (that in your case will likely not occur) and just keep an eye-out for the last two screen-shots I previously posted. Beyond that, again, my intention was not to include all screen-shot steps that will occur (I didn't think that to be necessary) but to simply include interfaces that might involve "authorizing" POP Peeper (of which I included the 3 dialogs that I personally encountered specific to "authorization") - so it is not to say what I posted will be all that you would encounter when setting up Oauth2 (previous, i.e. login, dialogs would be expected prior to dialogs specific to "authorizing" POP Peeper access to the respective Gmail account).

With that out of the way, what is most critical to start out (before starting the "Oauth2" process) - is to keep in mind you must A) be sure to "Exit" POP Peeper and B) then restart POP Peeper as "elevated" (running as admin) by following the instructions Jeff has added to FAQ concerning this part of the process (in your case scroll down to the Bullet Point "Use Oauth2" under the reference to "Windows 7 and older" instructions) or taking a gander at my previously posted link (either one or both of which may help) and then continue to follow the procedure to "authorize" POP Peeper by editing the respective account to setup "Oauth2" and following the ensuing steps that occur. By completing each of the "Oath2" steps, you should (must) definitely encounter the last two screen-shots I posted (to insure a successful completion of the process) as repeated below (that is, "B)" and "C)" on the previous page):
A) To allow POP Peeper to use Google (which you must get):
Prompt to allow POP Peeper full access to your Gmail Account
Prompt to allow POP Peeper full access to your Gmail Account
B) To signify the (authorization) process completed successfully (which you should get):
Signifies the "authorization" process have been successfully completed
Signifies the "authorization" process have been successfully completed
Hopefully this clears up any misconceptions that may have been present specific to my prior "authorization" screen-shots on the previous page.... and most importantly trev19, helps make our path down the "journey of discovery" a little more transparent.... :wink:

To be sure, you will have problems if you don't first "Exit" POP Peeper and then start POP Peeper "elevated" (Admin.) prior to the process of setting up "Oauth2" - and keep in mind, after (the hopefully successful) completion of the process, you would want to once again "Exit" POP Peeper to then start POP Peeper ("normally") not running as "Admin".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers