missing headers

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
eli125

missing headers

Post by eli125 »

In the last couple of days PP is not displaying headers (sender, subject, date etc.)
This happens with two yahoo mail accounts.
Thnaks
mjs

Re: missing headers

Post by mjs »

So to be clear - are you still using 4 Yahoo accounts in POP Peeper?

Just a few more questions to follow-up:

1a) If the answer to the question above is "YES" (that is you have more Yahoo accounts than just the two that are not displaying Headers) then in that case you must have at least two other Yahoo accounts that do not have this problem (hence for at least two accounts the Headers display properly) - is that correct?

1b) If that is correct - is there any difference in the POP Peeper settings of the accounts that do work as compared to the accounts that do not? (primary settings to check would be "Message Retrieval" among perhaps a few others - keep in mind that "Retrieval Options" can also be set via individual accounts (which can be determined by editing POP Peeper accounts and going to the "Advanced" options).

2) What Windows Operating System are you using?

3) What version of POP Peeper are you using?

4) What email protocol are you using in POP Peeper (i.e. IMAP, POP3)?

5) Are you getting any error(s) in POP Peeper (probably not :-k) - if you are however, then please post the error(s) in this topic (please, make sure to avoid including any personal information).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
eli125

Post by eli125 »

1. Yes, I am using 4 yahoo mail accounts.
1a. Yes, only 2 accounts are affected.
1b. All 4 accounts have the same settings. Retrieval option in all of them is defined as "default"
2. I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19044 build 19044
3. Versions - Pop Peeper 5.4.1.0 , webmail 5.1.0.0
4. IMAP
5. No errors

Update: I have not made any changes and suddenly headers are showing again. Older headers are sill blank. I shall monitor the inboxes and will update again.

Thank you!
eli125

Post by eli125 »

Another update: Received a new mail - header is missing again!
mjs

Post by mjs »

You could try this with one of the messages (in the POP Peeper Inbox) that is currently missing Headers:
1) Do a Right-click on the message.
2) Select the "Remove from list" option that is listed on the right-click context menu you get (note: the message will repopulate the Inbox on the next "Mail Check").
3) Click the "Yes" option to confirm that you do want to remove the message.
4) Do a manual "Check Mail" or if you prefer, wait for the next scheduled (automated) Polling Interval "Mail Check" to occur.
5) Following the POP Peeper "Mail Check" -- are the Headers now present for that specific message? If so you can do the same thing (select all messages in the POP Peeper Inbox with missing Headers as a group) - this can be done by holding down the "Ctrl" and selecting (clicking on) each respective message without Headers. (You have reported that the issue with the Headers has impacted two of your accounts over the past 2 days. This number of messages with missing Headers would perhaps not be that many.)

Edit: point 5 is optional as a result of your post just before mine (I had started the post prior to knowing that the issue has once again returned)
Last edited by mjs on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to include the "Edit" line in the post and to add the "note" comment in step 2 as well.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Let us know if the occurrence of missing Headers for "New" messages retrieved by POP Peeper eventually clears up in a consistent way.

Otherwise, if this issue persists then Jeff may want you to start a PP_Log (Jeff would explain what the Log settings should be) and then at some point email him that zipped PP_log so that he can take a look at the details of what transpires during a "Mail Check".
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Summary: The problem is on Yahoo's end. The problem seems to occur when there are multiple parts to the message (e.g. one scenario of this is when there are attachments). The problem occurs when PP retrieves "preview"

Temporary solution:
1) Go to:
main menu - Tools / Options / General
and enable "Advanced options" on the top-right
2) Edit each Yahoo account in POP Peeper
3) Select the "Advanced" page on the left
4) Change the "Retrieval option" to EITHER:
- Headers
or
- Entire Message
(I'd recommend "Entire message")

[edit] This will not affect existing messages. To update existing messages, open the message and select menu: File / Retrieve entire message. "Retrieve entire" in this manner will not prove the previous changes, so wait until you receive more messages before reporting that this method is successful or not.

Technical details:
In order to retrieve a "preview" of a message, POP Peeper requests the header and the body of the message; it does this in one command. Yahoo now seems to have an issue with this type of "bundled" request and is only returning the body of the message, ignoring the request for the header. Obviously it used to work and it still works for other email services. I have tried to find a way to contact Yahoo but I have not been able to find one.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you tried this site to get Yahoo help: https://io.help.yahoo.com/contact/index?page=home.

There's an option (link) to "speak with a live agent" for FWIW.
No telling what "wait" times will be... Ugh!
No telling what "wait" times will be... Ugh!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I had found that -- it requires a premium service. And this is not something that I would want to try to explain to a level 1 tech rep.